RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #1

Question Norcold 1200 LRIM Defrost Cycle

The refrigerator enters a cycle that allows the frost to melt off of the fins in the refrigerator section. This cycle appears to last an excessively long time allowing the freezer and refrigerator temperatures to rise excessively before restarting normal cooling. I understand that the cycle start is set on a fixed timer (49 hours?). What causes the cycle to end and normal cooling to resume?

Al
al.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Everything is controlled by the control board. The fin sensor should sense the change and start operation of cooling when required.
Check your 12v battery & ground post connection at base of refridge for good connections.
The sensor would be the cheapest to change first than control board if necessary.
The refridge will require a few hours to bring down temps in box, freezer should still be frozen.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I seem to remember that the cooling starts when the fins reach 41 degrees.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:39 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Al, please give use the serial number too. What year is your refrigerator?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
I seem to remember that the cooling starts when the fins reach 41 degrees.
I can't imagine the fins reaching 41 degrees. By that time the food would be very warm. I have been doing some extensive monitoring of fin temp and compartment temperature. At 36 degree fin temp the food compartment is up to 39+ degrees and the freezer compartment is approaching 15 degrees.

Based on my observations the fins are completly clear when the fin temp reads 32-33 degrees. It takes an additional 2.5 hours to get the fin temp up to 36 degrees.

I have been collecting data including freezer compartment temp, box temp, fin temp, indoor and outdoor temp to see if I can pin down a pattern.

I have replaced the thermistor and the cooling unit has no problem getting the food compartment down to 32-35 degrees with the temp set at 5.

I have no idea what happens during the defrost cycle other than cutting off the electric elements or gas valve. If anyone know what happens during this cycle other than the heat being removed I would be interested in learning that.

I have been simply shutting off refrigerator power from the control panel; leaving it off for 10 seconds and turing it back on. Doing this every couple of days the refrigerator performs well. If I don't do this it will take 6+ hours before it will restart cooling cycle. By this time the freezer compartment is melting and the ice cream is like soup.

Lacking any other information I am beginning to think that there may be a problem with the control board. It seems to cool about the same at temperature settings between 5 and 8. I just dropped the temp setting to 4 after the fins defrosted this afternoon to see if there is a change in box or fin temperature.

On the topic of the control board, does anyone have any experience with Dinosaur Electronics boards?

Al
Old 02-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
The refrigerator serial number is 1441295. I don't have the cooling unit serial number handy and it's raining outside!

I have checked the cooling unit and it is not covered by any of the current recalls.

The coach is a 2005 so I assume that the refrigerator is also that vintage. I did not see a date of manufacture on the inside label.

Al
Old 02-02-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I will look up the info when I get to work today and get back to you.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:33 AM   #8

Quote:
I will look up the info when I get to work today and get back to you.
Mike, Thanks.....Al
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your freezer compartment is defrosting than it looks like you may need a new board only the fins should defrost. The temp in box should recover faster than six hours.

RV Upgrade's carries the board you need, have never had to change a board but people will swear by them.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";596125]If your freezer compartment is defrosting than it looks like you may need a new board only the fins should defrost. The temp in box should recover faster than six hours.

[B][URL="http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=424
RV Upgrade's[/URL][/B] carries the board you need, have never had to change a board but people will swear by them.
The freezer compartments are not defrosting, just getting too warm to keep ice cream firm. Meat stays frozen OK. Freezer compartment gets up to the upper teens / lower twenty's if I let it run it's course without a power off / power on which is enough to make the ince cream soupy.

Thanks for the pointer to a possible board supplier. I have found two others that I know nothing about. I have to check the part number on my board but these look right.

Dinosaur Electronics 6212XX Norcold 2-Way & 3-Way Replacement Board Camper Trailer RV

RV Direct Online Store

Regards, Al
Old 02-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #11

Quote:
The Cooling unit serial number is CU1931025

If it matters the control board part number is 0449 621271
I posted the main serial number of the refrigerator previously.

Al
Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Al, from what I can find out, it looks like the control board is not operating as per design; allowing the longer time needed to reduce the ice on the fins of the fresh food section. Looks like you need a new control board if the thermistor you replaced is in fact good.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a brand new spare control board from eBay late last year for only $65 including shipping.

If you are sure you need the 621271 board, there is several on eBay, but there is one right now for $195 and free shipping.

Good Luck!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
To check your thermistor and see if its good go to page 17 of this pdf to test it. There are other trouble spec's that you may want to check also.

Tags
norcold, 12 volt