Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 10:59 PM   #1

Norcold 1200 making clicking sound?

Our Norcold 1200 in our '21 Esteem 27U started making a strange clicking sound. It's not very loud. It is almost like the "tick-tock" sound of a clock, but in reverse with the lower "tock" sound coming before the higher "tick", with a space of about a second between the repeating sounds. It's on a count of about one, two, three, one, two, three, etc.

Anybody ever experience this or have an idea? I opened the right main door for a few seconds then re-closed it. That stopped it, but after a minute or so, it started doing it again.

There are no codes showing on the panel. The sounds aren't nearly loud enough for me to believe them to be any kind of warning or alarm but rather maybe something going on in the control system, or something. It is running on "Auto" and is currently operating on AC. The refrigerator is in a coach that has only seen maybe 250 hours of refrigerator operation since new.

Interesting. Bed time. I'll see if it's doing it in the morning.

Cheers, all!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 05:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think one of the fans may shut off when the door is opened. It seems like it has to be something that's actually moving and there just isn't that much that moves AFAIK. It's very possible you can get into diagnostic mode and turn the fans on and off manually to help.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:47 AM   #3
WTB

Ice Maker?

I had a similar ticking sound and it turned out to be the ice maker. When I checked the plug for it, it was almost too hot to touch. That's when I replaced the whole thing with a residential frig. Best decision ever.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:48 AM   #4

Thank you, "OKC" and "WTB". Ours does not have the ice maker option, but that was a good thought. I hadn't pursued the diagnostics approach yet, as the display wasn't showing any likely faults. The fan thought is really good, though. I've not heard it or them running, so it is very possible that what I'm hearing is the relay(s) trying to get one or both of them to run. I'll follow that thought. (Our Dynasty had two fans. Don't know if this one has two, or just one.). The problem showed up just as we were getting ready for the sack for the night, so didn't do anything more than post the question.

It is still clicking, this morning. We are at the end of our three-night outing, today, so it will be shut down for a couple or three weeks now. I'll keep up the investigation, though. I was hoping that someone may have experienced exactly the same thing and could nail it. Maybe yet.

Thank you both, now stay well and safe and happy RV'ing!
Old 07-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #5

Ok, at the suggestion of one of the moderators, this thread has been moved to the IRV2 appliance and system forum. I don't know if you will still see it, or not. Hopefully if you are interested in following it, you will still see it.

Cheers, again!
Old 07-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #6

Fridge in Auto operating on AC and clicking sound

AC Relay on circuit board (DC Triggered)
On AC the circuit board closes the relay and allows AC to the heater elements

Fans T-stat is attached to condenser FIN at the top of fridge.
It is just a snap disc t-stat. Very Hard to hear it operating
Closes when FIN temp reaches 130*F/Opens when FIN temp drops to 115*F
Hot temps....should be able to hear fans running

Open lower Access Vent Cover and listen for the licking coming from circuit board
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:42 PM   #7

Thank you, Old-Biscuit. You've been a great resource over on the Monaco forum, in the past. I am assuming this 1200 is very similar to the one on our '06 Dynasty, hopefully with quite a few improvements. That's were I found the snap disks for the fans on it, as well.

We are now back home and won't have it "fired up" for another couple or three weeks, but I will definitely do as you suggest and listen in the back compartment. There are virtually zero moving or mechanically active components forward of that back wall, other than the light switch. Your suggestion is good.

This morning, it was not clicking. But this morning it was somewhat cooler outside than it was last evening.

At this point, I'm not able to do any more troubleshooting, but will when I can. Thank you all for your input. Now I'm going to have to make a post about our gas range in our '21 Entegra Esteem 27U.

Tags
norcold