RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Hi Crah

I ordered 4 fans today. I'm thinking of cutting the mesh screen on 3 sides and fold it up. Then mount the fans to the screen and fold it back down. I can Ty wrap the serene back in place. How does that sound? What do you think of the wiring. A manual switch or a thermister?
Thanks
Rick
Rick,

I think the mesh is more of a preference. I chose not to reinstall it. As for the thermistor, I am debating that right now. What I am doing first is installing 2 switches. Each switch will control 2 fans. I have spooled up enough wire at the roof area to install a thermister in the future if I want to. I ran 4 wires. Depending on the performance this summer, I may hook up two fans to the thermistor, and 2 fans on manual switch. Or I may hook up all 4 to a thermistor, and set up and extra hot lead to a switch if I decide I want to over ride it. As mentioned, I will start with 2 manual switches controlling 2 fans. Pictures coming here shortly.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #30

This is the fan with 4 1 inch L brackets bought at home depot. The L brackets are attached to the fans with a #8 sheet metal screw. I just brought the fan in with me to make sure the screw size was thick and long enough.

Picture of mesh screen under the vent cover

Mesh cut away with snips

Fans attached to vent sides with screws that came with L brackets. I drilled pilot holes first. The L Brackets will pinch the vent sides as they are a little smaller than the vent opening. I bent out the L brackets very slightly. I wired up the fans as I went.

I ran 4 wires; two to each pair of fans.

I used silver metal tape to tape of the void spots on both ends. This way, fresh air doesn't get sucked back in through the roof. It should creat a vacuum and draw in fresh air from the outside lower panel.

I tested out the fans by temporarily wiring it up to a hot and ground wire in the exterior access. The fans worked very good and were quiet. We will see how well they perform once the heat cranks up around here.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #31

Also I take no credit for doing this. Many have done this before me, and I just followed their direction. Lots of knowledge on this forum, that is for sure.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for your reply. I look forward to your pictures and especially your switching designs.
Heber Eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Critters

Nice job! But I'd be thinking about putting the mesh back on. The warm air coming out of that vent will draw critters & bugs like a magnet. Especially if it's chilly out. But since you're in Vegas they'll most likely be looking for shade?

I found a birds nest under a refer vent once. And bird poop all over the place.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Nice job! But I'd be thinking about putting the mesh back on. The warm air coming out of that vent will draw critters & bugs like a magnet. Especially if it's chilly out. But since you're in Vegas they'll most likely be looking for shade?

I found a birds nest under a refer vent once. And bird poop all over the place.
Muddypaws, you are probably right. I will probably end up putting a different mesh back on. Probably something similar to mesquito netting but I need to make sure it won't melt with the heat. My side vent unfortunately has much larger openings with no type of netting at all.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #35

Here are some pictures of the wiring. As previously mentioned, I ran 4 wires from the roof. Two fans are hooked up to each "pair" of wires. You can see the wire loom going from right to left.

I'm drilling a whole to a open space below my refrigerator to fish the wires inside.

Here are the 4 wires from the roof to under the refrigerator. I ran 4 additional wires not in the picture back to the exterior compartment to grab the power source and ground (1 power and 1 ground for each switch)

Here's a picture of the exterior compartment with all the wires bundled up and taped down. I will probably get rid of the wire nuts in the future and hook up terminals instead.

Here are the two switches all wired up. I went with a red and a green one for a christmas theme. Actually Radio Shack only had 1 of each and I didn't like any of the other switches they had. You will see 8 wires now. The 4 on the right are the ones from the roof, and the 4 on the left are the 2 positive and 2 negative power sources that are tapped from the exterior compartment.

Here is the finished install. I counted it to the bottom right corner of the refrigerator. I could have mounted the switches inside the compartment below the refrigerator, but I didn't want to forget about them, so I elected to mount them on the outside.

Here is the exterior with a paper towel being sucked in. This is only with 1 switch on.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Crah

Nice job. Thank you for the pics. I agree with above. I'd put the mesh back. They mention small screen to keep out bugs. I'd think twice about that. If that ever clogs up. You could have a real problem. I'm staying with the current mesh screen.
I'm going to start my installation of the fans as soon as they come in.
Your information really helped me
Thanks again
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
With regards to the mesh on top of the roof vent, it was put there for a specific purpose to keep small critters from getting into the rear fridge cavity and making their nests. It NEEDS to be replaced with similar material if you have destroyed what was there.

The large intake vent on the side of the coach is where the cool fresh air comes in but it can also allow Mud Daubers to make their nests in the most inconvenient places. There are custom mesh screens available to purchase which will fit those long narrow vents that will prevent them from buggering up the rear cavity also.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #38

Crah,
Beautiful Job and very good photos. Really like the lighted switches and the install location.
You're Right. . . .This is one of the best forums out there and the folks who contribute do have a lot of knowledge & experience.
Not much we can fix or improve on with their input and suggestions.
Hope to see you out there,
Mike
Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #39

Florida Cooters Club
Crah,

This is a great write-up and you did a great job on the project!

I have a few questions now that it has been installed for a while:

1 - How is this working after a few months of use in the heat?
2 - Does the fan "draft" have any affect on the boiler flame (any flame-outs, etc.)?
3 - What gauge wire did you use?

Thanks in advance,

Lyca
Lyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyca View Post
Crah,

This is a great write-up and you did a great job on the project!

I have a few questions now that it has been installed for a while:

1 - How is this working after a few months of use in the heat?
2 - Does the fan "draft" have any affect on the boiler flame (any flame-outs, etc.)?
3 - What gauge wire did you use?

Thanks in advance,

Lyca

Lyca,

The mod works pretty well up to about 90 degrees. Anything over that, and the Norcold has a hard time keeping up. It definitely helps while driving. Due to the high heat in Vegas during June, July, August and beginning of September, I may have to go with residential. I believe I used 18 gauge wire. The fans barely draw any power, so a light gauge wire will be fine.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My experience

I added 4 120mm muffins to my system as an experiment. I used a single thermostat switch to rune them all on when the fin temp reaches 130F. They run most of the time. But! My 1201LRIM cools down from 90F in the box to 34F in about 18 hours. We've had some fairly hot weeks so far, but nothing like a normal day in Vegas.

Have you tried 'fooling' the thermistor using the 'Muddypaws Mod'? Most people who've tried it lower ther set temp by about 7 degrees.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote