Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Norcold 1200 not cooling on propane

My 11 yr old Norcold 1200 series seems to do reasonably well on 110v power as long as its set to level 8 or 9 in our high temp high humidity area, usually running 15 to 17 deg freezer and 35 to 37 or so frig. However, when it switches to propane, it just doesn't cool. The burner does light and the flame looks good to my untrained eye - a nice blue flame, an occasional yellow shot, but generally a nice flame. It has no trouble lighting up. There is no evidence of leakage from the cooling unit. It just won't cool on gas - the interior temps just keep climbing. I am currently cleaning the burner orifice with alcohol as suggested in other posts and will reinstall after a little more soaking and blowing out. Any other suggestions from those of you that may have experienced a similar problem? Yeah - I know a residential will cure the problem, but that's not the answer I'm looking for. TIA!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I had exactly the same problem and David Force with RV Cooling Unit Warehouse gave me the solution!

Remove the orifice from the end of the LPG line, soak it in 91% alcohol for several hours, then blow it out with high-pressure air. You will be amazed at the crud that comes out!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I picked up a new burner as the old one didn't look good. I'll see if the new burner makes a difference and then I'll inspect the condenser fans to see if they are operating.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #4

Had a similar problem on LP. Sounds like you're on the right track. I went through everything on LP side of things to find out it was just a dirty burner. I cleaned it up really well and improved the cooling but it wasn't on par with the AC side. Replacing it solved my issue. Here's the store I got mine:
Norcold Burners and Orifices for Sale | The Norcold Guy
PJtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, for anyone thats interested, I found part of the problem. After replacing the burner, cooling improved approximately to the level of AC cooling. But, its still not performing properly as it needs to run on setting 8 or 9.

This morning, I got to thinking about something I noticed after installing the new burner, and realized it may help in diagnosing a bad burner in the future. When I first installed the new burner, I noticed what appeared to be a piece of trash glowing red on top of the burner. My initial thought was that a chunk of insulation or other debris had dropped down on top of my new burner and was glowing. I backed off the gas with the manual valve and realized that what I was seeing glowing was the igniter tip. Whats interesting is that I did not see the igniter tip glowing with the old burner. So it indicates to me the old burner was not capable of producing the required heat even though the flame looked ok. You really can't tell by just looking at the flame. The glowing igniter may be a good indicator to observe when trying to decide if you have a burner issue.

My next project is to verify whether or not the condenser fans are working. I suspect they are not. So I'll get into that soon. That may finish the job and get it cooling to its full potential where it can be set to mid scale.
jt
Old 07-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you're making progress!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:27 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
My 11 yr old Norcold 1200 series seems to do reasonably well on 110v power as long as its set to level 8 or 9 in our high temp high humidity area, usually running 15 to 17 deg freezer and 35 to 37 or so frig. However, when it switches to propane, it just doesn't cool. The burner does light and the flame looks good to my untrained eye - a nice blue flame, an occasional yellow shot, but generally a nice flame. It has no trouble lighting up. There is no evidence of leakage from the cooling unit. It just won't cool on gas - the interior temps just keep climbing. I am currently cleaning the burner orifice with alcohol as suggested in other posts and will reinstall after a little more soaking and blowing out. Any other suggestions from those of you that may have experienced a similar problem? Yeah - I know a residential will cure the problem, but that's not the answer I'm looking for. TIA!
jt
I believe there is recall on the 1200. You may want to check it out.
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:03 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addisons View Post
I believe there is recall on the 1200. You may want to check it out.

Thanks. Yes it's been done.

jt

Old 07-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Get the rust out. The chimney maybe clogged with rust not allowing good hot air flow. Sometimes just banging on the chimney and vacuuming out what falls is enough.

LEN
Old 07-30-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Get the rust out. The chimney maybe clogged with rust not allowing good hot air flow. Sometimes just banging on the chimney and vacuuming out what falls is enough.

LEN

Good idea. I saw one video where the guy cleaned it out with a 12ga shotgun brush. I know there was some rust flakes in the old burner. I can also check for the existance of the baffle and cap at the same time. Thanks!

jt

Tags
cooling, norcold, propane