Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #1

Norcold 1200 not switching over......

We have a Norcold 1200 LRIM in our unit. It operates fine on propane. We are currently plugged in to shore power, but the fridge does not switch over to electric.

120 Volt is present at the plug,
The fridge is set to auto,

Is there a reset on the circuit board for the electric element?

Does anyone have a schematic for this fridge?

We are on the road/camping, the fridge is full.

Thanks in advance,

Henry, Barb & Willow.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #2

Wish I could help. We are having the same problem. If on LP and then we start the generator, the fridg beeps until I turn it off and then back on at which point it will go to LP. It doesn't seem to recognize an electric power source.

Have you had the latest recall completed?

We will be getting ours in for service soon. Good luck. I hope some folks can step up and offer both of us suggestions.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

All re-calls have been done.

Now I am wondering if the transfer switch is working, will run the Gen. and see what happens.

Henry,
Old 07-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #4

try setting it to "elec" while pluged into shore power. I've heard of similar problems after the recal work.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If it won't auto-switch to electric, the first thing to check is the 120v electric supply to the fridge. Check it's circuit breaker - flip it off and back on to be sure. Then go outside and remove the outer access door and check the outlet where the fridge is plugged in (only a few are hardwired). Plus in a outlet tester or a table lamp and see it it works there.

There is also a fuse for the 120vac on the controller board. There are 3-4 variants of the controller used in that model, so I can't be more specific than that. There should be both a 120vac fuse and a12vdc fuse easily visible on the board.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NALSO View Post
We have a Norcold 1200 LRIM in our unit. It operates fine on propane. We are currently plugged in to shore power, but the fridge does not switch over to electric.

120 Volt is present at the plug,
The fridge is set to auto,

Is there a reset on the circuit board for the electric element?

Does anyone have a schematic for this fridge?

We are on the road/camping, the fridge is full.

Thanks in advance,

Henry, Barb & Willow.
Nalso

Your post got me to thinking again about our problem. I went out to our MH and decided to read the Norcold manual. It occurred to me that until the recall was done and the frig was unplugged that I had never had to set the mode because it was set by the dealer and it always worked fine. So, I wanted to know if I was doing it correctly after the techs did the recall.

Nope. I wasn't. The manual says to press and HOLD the mode button until the mode you want appears, then release the mode button while the mode you want is showing. I did this and ours is now switching over from shore power to LP just fine. No beeps. Haven't tried the generator yet while hooked up to shore power to see what happens but I read somewhere on this forum that you should not turn on the generator while hooked up to shore power because it causes excess wear on the transfer switch relays so I may not do that.

I thought I was setting it on Auto (AU) by pressing and releasing the mode button but I was not doing it right. This is a big relief (until the next Norcold problem/recall).

You might want to try this just to be sure it is really set on AU.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #7

Fridge is working.......

After removing the plastic cover for the circuit board, I've noticed two fuses. The one on the left (glass fuse) 5 Amps had colouration on it, I removed it and ohm'ed it out, it was faulty and promptly replaced it with the same kind, hooked up all the cables, started the fridge and it worked.
I cleaned and applied "di-electric" grease to all connections including the ground, and re-installed the cover.

The fridge is working in auto position, changing to AC.

Gary is correct with his statement that there are two fuses, the glass fuse for the AC circuit and a blade fuse (automotive) for the DC circuit.

Thanks for your assistance,

Henry,

Tags
norcold