Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2022, 04:18 PM   #1

Norcold 1200 refrigerator won’t cool

Norcold 1200 refrigerator.

I have replaced the cooling unit, power board and eyebrow control. Also the update for the recall overheating dc interrupting device. The ac power is at 117volts the dc power is at 13.3volts. The RV has been level or being driven the whole time. There is no ammonia smell or leaks visible anywhere. It was working for 3 months perfectly. Then one day a week ago it stopped cooling. Heating elements work properly and propane option works well also. After a few hours it starts beeping and shows no co error and no cooling of the unit happening. The thermactor was also replaced. There are no error codes showing that would cause or be caused by this problem. I can reset the error code and start the refrigerator both on electric or gas. Only to get the same result.
HELP!
Sarnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2022, 05:34 PM   #2

'no co' (no cooling detected)
See pg 1 for Cooling Performance Monitoring Control process
http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.co...B-120803-B.pdf

For TESTING
*Unplug Thermistor (temp sensor) from Lamp connection
Run fridge for 12 hrs on MAX Temp Setting (9) and check temps
W/O Thermistor fridge goes into BOS (Backup Operating System) where heating cycles (heat ON) is time based vs temp based

If food compartment cools (might get COLD) then replace the Thermistor

IF still not cooling need to FORCE COOL Test
*unplug the 2 heat element leads from circuit board
Wire the leads directly into 120VAC Element energizing the elements continuously
Run fridge for 12 hrs monitoring (force cool bypasses ALL controls)
Check temps
Fridge COLD........replace circuit board
Fridge still not COLD.....cooling unit has failed (obstruction/blockage)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:53 PM   #3

Force cool test…..keep a close eye on it….everyone of these that have caught on fire that I have first hand info on has happened while on the AC mode.

My current Norcold 1200 is 22 yrs old. It has worked very well but I got concerned when two close friends of mine had fires. I converted mine over to the JC refrigeration HVAC UNIT 2yrs ago. It is like having a residential fridge. Works great…no regrets.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:42 PM   #4

Old Biscuit saved me a couple hundred $ in food on my trip to Florida in October. He knows these Norcolds very well. His troubleshooting helped me figure out it was a bad bad thermistor (on a 8 month old fridge).
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:23 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Be Carful -- Boiler Tells All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarnone View Post
Norcold 1200 refrigerator.

I have replaced the cooling unit, power board and eyebrow control. Also the update for the recall overheating dc interrupting device. The ac power is at 117volts the dc power is at 13.3volts. The RV has been level or being driven the whole time. There is no ammonia smell or leaks visible anywhere. It was working for 3 months perfectly. Then one day a week ago it stopped cooling. Heating elements work properly and propane option works well also. After a few hours it starts beeping and shows no co error and no cooling of the unit happening. The thermactor was also replaced. There are no error codes showing that would cause or be caused by this problem. I can reset the error code and start the refrigerator both on electric or gas. Only to get the same result.
HELP!
Be carful, you say "Heating elements work properly and propane option works well also."

This tells me you are getting heat, but the cooling unit is not cooling.

You need to know your boiler temperature, it tells you all. The boiler is what drives your entire system, and you note that the recall not only will not tell you the boiler temperature, it will not protect the boiler from overheating.

Knowing these refrigerators well means knowing the parameters that affect the cooling, such as boiler temperature. No boiler operator would operate a boiler without knowing the boiler temperature.

Take care, happy holidays
Old 12-03-2022, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
'no co' (no cooling detected)
See pg 1 for Cooling Performance Monitoring Control process
http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.co...B-120803-B.pdf

For TESTING
*Unplug Thermistor (temp sensor) from Lamp connection
Run fridge for 12 hrs on MAX Temp Setting (9) and check temps
W/O Thermistor fridge goes into BOS (Backup Operating System) where heating cycles (heat ON) is time based vs temp based

If food compartment cools (might get COLD) then replace the Thermistor

IF still not cooling need to FORCE COOL Test
*unplug the 2 heat element leads from circuit board
Wire the leads directly into 120VAC Element energizing the elements continuously
Run fridge for 12 hrs monitoring (force cool bypasses ALL controls)
Check temps
Fridge COLD........replace circuit board
Fridge still not COLD.....cooling unit has failed (obstruction/blockage)
I have tried a test with the Thermistor disconnected on electric and now trying on propane. Then will connect directly to power supply.
So far the interior is 65 degrees.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:37 PM   #7

I’ll put a heat gun on it tomorrow.
Thank you
Old 12-03-2022, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
I have tried a test with the Thermistor disconnected on electric and now trying on propane. Then will connect directly to power supply.
So far the interior is 65 degrees.
Is freezer getting COLD?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Is freezer getting COLD?
No. There is no affect to the temperature whatsoever.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:29 AM   #10

FWIW - our 20 year old Norcold RM2852 fridge was working fine, but I wanted to be proactive about fixing the eventual failure before it occurred on this 20 year old until.

Pictures show what we found upon pulling the refrigerator and accessing the boiler area of the cooling unit - moral of the story, it’s not a matter of IF, but WHEN.

Because we will sometimes boon-dock and I’m not adding more batteries and solar panels to our coach, a domestic refrigerator was not the answer.

We replaced the cooling unit with an upgraded design cooling unit that will likely outlast both the coach and ourselves.
I previously had bought and installed a FridgeDefend last year when we got this ‘02 coach, and we reinstalled it with the cooling unit replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23201C96-1555-4CD4-B01A-67F645F6FB5B.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	680.1 KB
ID:	382129   Click image for larger version

Name:	5BD1593C-B3A9-4FF3-BE10-96094C09010F.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	658.7 KB
ID:	382130  

Old 11-10-2023, 05:34 PM   #11

Quote:
No. There is no affect to the temperature whatsoever.
Sarnone - what did you end up with on this? Fix or replace?

Tags
norcold, refrigerator