Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Unhappy NorCold 1201LRM Trouble Shoot

Picked up rig after being in shop 2 weeks...they killed house batteries. SIGH. Drove it home for 45 minutes hoping that would help. No luck. They were so dead had to charge them to get ANYTHING in coach to run...couldn't even get them to work on shore power until charged.

Get that all sorted out snd the first time trying to set up refer and it appears dead. Checked both 110 & 12v breakers and they look good. Refer light dead, power button doesn't do anything.

There is a red led light glowing in the outside inspection door. Not sure if that is normal. Any thoughts?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like the safety recall control box has interrupted power to the refrigerator. There has been many failures and it will still be a warranty covered issue; just a pain to have these break down on you and you have to take it in for repairs again,
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is an indication that your recall [black box has failed]. It kills the power to your refrigerator. It will have to go in for another recall box. Norcold will not ship the box to you, only a dealer can install these, due to liability. I think they are on revision three or four now on the boxes. They keep failing. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #4

Don, they are correct the "safety recall box" has tripped. When this happens it cut's power to the fridge. I strongly suggest the Amish cooling unit, this completely replaces the Nocold fire hazard. We did this to ours last year and along with others on here are VERY satisfied with this. Our black box tripped last year on a Friday afternoon with a full load of groceries. No way to get it to a service facility till Monday! I eliminated the problem. There are a LOT of threads on this subject, along with videos. Cooling Unit Warehouse.com is where to look. Call and talk to Dave Force, he is very helpful and easy to work with.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
THANKS ALL!

Just another piece of information to put into my memory banks. LOL

The "good" news is that the shop I take my rig to is also a Norcold service outlet and has the NEWEST (version E) board and will hold it for me. I will study hard on the Amish replacement option. For now, correcting the problem is FREE. A PIA but free. LOL

If I see this happening again, I will definitely look into the swap out. Great videos out there on the process to do it. Lot of work but looks worth it. If I get my money pump reloaded this fall or maybe after I bring it out of winter, I will do a swap while the weather is cool and working in the rig is more comfortable. Of course...if it goes badly sooner then then...
Old 05-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Don, if you need an emergency fix, try this RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Norcold recall failure

Beware that this has bypassed the safety feature, however if you unit isn't leaking or overheating, it will get you out of a jam.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fred...thanks for that tidbit. Fortunately we are not in bad shape. This was our first shot at getting the refer online since we bought it 6 weeks ago. Nothing needed to be saved and we have a cooler loaded for the weekend. I'm at the shop now and they are swapping out da board at this moment. It was an older "fix" so I will have the newest board in place now.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You may find that Norcold now has a Version F. I would insist on the newest F version.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You may find that Norcold now has a Version F. I would insist on the newest F version.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Now on version F. What a shame. My second recall that was installed was already outdated when it was done, but I think Norcold was trying to use up old parts. I was upset that they shipped a part that they knew didn't last or work. I'm glad I went to the Amish unit. For those that think it's hard to do yourself, It's not. You will not believe the difference in temperature inside. It's well worth the time to do it yourself and get a understanding of how it operates. Plenty of help here on the swap. I sleep better at night as well.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
Now on version F. What a shame. My second recall that was installed was already outdated when it was done, but I think Norcold was trying to use up old parts. I was upset that they shipped a part that they knew didn't last or work. I'm glad I went to the Amish unit. For those that think it's hard to do yourself, It's not. You will not believe the difference in temperature inside. It's well worth the time to do it yourself and get a understanding of how it operates. Plenty of help here on the swap. I sleep better at night as well.
I totally agree, the "safety recall box" is a joke. All it fixes is the fact you can't sue Nocold!

Tags
norcold