RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 02:22 AM   #1

Norcold 2118 cooing issue.

The new Keystone Raptor has the Norcold 2110 refer. Double refer sf freezer door with 12cu.i capacity. I took it on it's first trip from SE AL to our bayou probity ion NW FL. Gull hookup and on the water. Before departing I started the refer a couple days early. When I put the thermometer I'm the refer secton was 32-49 and freezer hold 18-20. Temps ln *F

The refer has range settings of 1-9 and I started 9 but after a couple of day reduced to 6. There is as thermistor clipped to the upper right fin. It seemend rather tight so I didn't try to force it. I didn't see any guidance about adjusting it at at home. On my GFs Crusader with an 8cuft model, moving it around it the corrected cooling and adjusted the frost-in up fins

It's been hot, mid 90s and the refer side facing west. It's struggling with the weather.

chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #2

Put a small fan near the top of the chimney (under roof vent/behind upper side vent for units in a slideout) for the fridge to suck out hot air.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:29 AM   #3

My understanding it has 3 cooling fans and I can hear them running. With the GFs Crusader with the 8cuft, moving the thermistor made a significant difference in cooling and frost production but it doesn't have a "coldness setting" on the front. On mine there isn't a lot of stuff in either the refer or freezer sections so cold air easily spills out with the door open. I minimize openings. With a digital temperature setting on the front, 1-9, will moving the thermistor have a beneficial effect in cooling or dividing between freezer or refer sections?

Thanks

EDIT; I did the door tightness check with a 1$ bill and that seems good. No bending to the doors that I can detect.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You might try putting some old milk containers filled with water in both fridge and freezer to absorb the cold temp and hopefully stabilize the temp swings.

Here's my story on the 1200 Norcold I had. It never really did work great from the day we got the coach to the day the Norcold finally crapped out.

I added a small fan with snap disc on the back that would aid in blowing air across the back, can't say it made much of a difference.

I played with the thermistor, again, couldn't tell the difference.

I installed remote temp sensors in both the fridge and freezer and monitored continuously. If fridge started to warm up I'd transfer a frozen block from the fridge to keep the fridge in safe working temps.

I finally replaced with a Samsung RF18 residential. In order to remove the Norcold from the coach it was completely dismantled. I was surprised at how poorly the cooling unit on the back of the fridge was installed, large gap between it and the back of the fridge. No wonder it didn't work well.

My recommendation is notify the dealer you bought the fridge from and pursue a warranty claim. I'm sure they will try will push back but don't relent. Keep track off all correspondence, take you case all the way to Norcold.

If you don't get it fixed now it won't ever work right.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:46 AM   #5

I returned to the RV yesterday after being away a few days and the freezer was 5* and refer upper 20s. Reckon things are OK for the timer being. GF loaded with a bunch of stuff which of course meant the doors were open a lot so later today I'll recheck.

Tags
norcold