Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 05:50 AM   #1

Norcold 6162 Thermistor Replacement

Hi All,

I believe the thermistor is going bad in my Norcold and will be running some tests later today. Assuming it has gone bad, I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to get it out and install a new one as the two wires disappear behind the plastic underneath the cooling fins. I am guessing those wires run to the eyebrow console, but getting the old thermistor out and a new one doesn't appear to have an obvious path.

Has anyone done one of these? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Info at this site would be worth a read.

Dometic Thermistor Repair Kit
Old 08-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #3

I feel your pain! My Norcold 6162 is doing the same thing. Freezer works well but the main refrigerator area stays warm. Every forum I have read points to the thermistor. As you I can not figure out how to get it out to replace it. I saw one video where the individual just cut the wires and spliced the new one to the cut wires inside of the fridge. If I don't find better info I may do the same thing. Let me know how you solved your problem. My Norcold 6162 is in a 1994 RV.
Razzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #4

YES........the thermistor leads run up thru cabinet to upper eyebrow and connect at J17 terminal

Easiest method is the Snip-The-Tip replacement
https://www.snip-the-tip.com/NorcoldClassic.htm
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #5

I solved my problem. On my Norcold 6162 on Electric freezer and refrigerator work fine. Freezer around zero and frig compartment 32*. On gas freezer 30* and frig compartment 76*. Grrrrrr It was driving me crazy. I changed out the thermistor and made no difference. Flame on burner was pretty blue, so what gives? I started to look at new units...well you now the cost of that, soooo I took the unit out and run a brush down the tube over the burner (you need to remove the deflector first). Did not really get much out. Next I removed the burner tube. Wow I could not believe all the rust and junk I got out of it. I also used a gun cleaning brush to finish cleaning it out. I also used a very thin wire to clean the orifice on the LP supply to burner. Put it all back together. Turned the frig on to LP, the Burner lit right up. The flame was twice the size as before and dancing off the burner with force. I went to bed with hope! This morning success! The freezer is around zero and the frig compartment is 32 degrees. I hope this helps someone avoid the frustration I have experienced! Happy RVing......
Razzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzoo View Post
I solved my problem. On my Norcold 6162 on Electric freezer and refrigerator work fine. Freezer around zero and frig compartment 32*. On gas freezer 30* and frig compartment 76*. Grrrrrr It was driving me crazy. I changed out the thermistor and made no difference. Flame on burner was pretty blue, so what gives? I started to look at new units...well you now the cost of that, soooo I took the unit out and run a brush down the tube over the burner (you need to remove the deflector first). Did not really get much out. Next I removed the burner tube. Wow I could not believe all the rust and junk I got out of it. I also used a gun cleaning brush to finish cleaning it out. I also used a very thin wire to clean the orifice on the LP supply to burner. Put it all back together. Turned the frig on to LP, the Burner lit right up. The flame was twice the size as before and dancing off the burner with force. I went to bed with hope! This morning success! The freezer is around zero and the frig compartment is 32 degrees. I hope this helps someone avoid the frustration I have experienced! Happy RVing......

Thanks for update!

Flame 'dancing off burner with force'.......not a GOOD thing.
Gas flow/air mixing has been damaged from sticking that wire thru orifice.
Orifice is a METERED nozzle to precisely deliver the correct amount of flow based on LP System pressure.

Flame dancing can result in overheating due to higher flame and flame failure due to flame lifting off burner

Cooling on Electric and not on Propane means propane system has low pressure, dirty flue/flue baffle, dirty burner assembly
A simple clean up of burner components goes a long way to making propane function properly.

You should replace the orifice....don't forget new gasket
https://www.statetrailer.com/product...00&detail=true
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, norcold, replace, replacement