Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Norcold 883 Repair or Replace?

Was having my new to me RV checked out prior to departure and was told my Norcold 883 Refer was shot. Some yellow looking material at the base of the flue tube arround the burner area leaking out and of course the refer does not work.
Any ideas other than replacement. The tech is telling me approx. $1500.00 plus installation. Other options would be greatly appreciated.
Looks like my departure date is being pushed ahead,... again.

Thanks, Jim
jimwrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

If you are handy, think residential.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #3

First, you need to learn some things.
The cooling unit uses ammonia (yellow stuff), sodium chromate, water, and hydrogen to cool your refr. It boils the solution to send it into a looping path, then almost works like an A/C unit. It's a gas absorption system.
So yes, if it leaked out, it's bad and needs a new cooling unit. $1500+ install seems high to me. Closer to $1000+ install is more in the range I usually perform this job in.

Now, if you like the flexibility of the gas absorption system, keep it. If not, find a residential unit if you please, but be prepared to search for a long time possibly, and spend a good bit of time making the swap look good, not just thrown in.

This is RV'ing, you can't be in a hurry at all. Just makes you unhappy, that's it.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #4

Jim, can you post a picture of that refrig and/or confirm the model number? I can't find an 883 in any of my Norcold service manuals.

The yellow looking material is the sodium chromate which is used in the cooling unit as a rust-inhibitor. As you have found out, unfortunately, external presence of this material certainly means the integrity of the cooling unit has been compromised.

As mentioned by others, there are a variety of options.

1) You can replace with a new absorption type refrig, either Norcold or Dometic.
2) You can replace with similarly sized residential type compressor refrigerator (but will only run while plugged into shore, on generator power or if you purchase a large enough inverter and have enough battery power)
3) Have a new cooling unit installed in your current refrigerator (1/2 the price of a new abosorption type refrig). Google around for replacement cooling units once you confirm your model # - they are offered by many different manufacturers.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #5

Had a bit of luck,..... Found a much newer unit, the same size, for $550.00, that was replaced with a larger one.
Now the R & R begins. The manual I have gives the step by step, so hopefully,........
I'll let y'all know.

Thanks, Jim
Oh,... BTW The bad unit model # is 683. My bad.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #6

Keep us posted.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #7

It's an easy swap. 120V wire, 12V wires, LP line (be sure and get that tested for leaks), and some screws. Easy as that.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #8

Well,...... Got the refer replaced and seems to work OK. Was a little hard on the back, but worst of all was no AC hookup line. The temp here was 108 today.
Maybe my luck's changing and I'll be headed for the coast next week.
Got my dash AC to work on next. My great buy is well,.. not looking so great.

Thanks for all the input.
Jim

Tags
norcold, repair, replace