Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have post this in other threads on Norcold problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #30

Neighbor here in the RV park just had their rig go up in flames this morning. Fridge started it.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
How old was the coach, Norcold or Dometic did they know about recalls?
Thanks for info sorry for people.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
How old was the coach, Norcold or Dometic did they know about recalls?
Thanks for info sorry for people.

It is a late model Escolade 5th wheel. Don't know if refer was on recall list but that is where fire started. Pretty much totaled the rig.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #33

Understand the need for the 2nd recall, i.e. safety factor. However, if they have a problem with the cooling units isn't this just a CYA factor. From what I'm reading on the various forums, this second recall is causing many problems and now they are trying to correct that problem.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 tucdc.
No I have not heard about problems with second recall by Norcold.
Can you place a link to those threads, it wouldn't surprise me they are having a problem with second recall which was suppose to correct their first recall mistake.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

The fire danger is inherent in an absorption fridge. If the cooling unit springs a leak, the ammonia-hydrogen-based coolant can easily catch fire from the overheating that results, and fires are nearly always a major disaster in an RV. I don't know if the Norcold cooling units spring a leak any more often than anybody else's, but we are hearing a lot more about the resultant problems than we did many years back. There are a lot more RVs, in use many more days/year, and we have the internet to instantly communicate every bit of news worldwide. If only 2% of RV fridges have cooling unit failures, and 5% of those result in fires, that's still enough (1 per 1000 fridges) to make dozens of reports of fires and justify a major safety campaign (recall).

For what it's worth, Dometic has a similar recall, affecting over 900,000 RV refrigerators.

Norcold's "fix" is a safety measure intended to prevent a fire if the cooling unit should develop a leak for any reason, whether corrosion or external damage.

You can learn more about RV fridge fires in this excellent article:
http://www.aegiforensics.com/library...ires-Part1.pdf
Old 03-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #36

Just had my recall done two weeks ago, and everything worked fine until we went for a weekend trip to cocoa beach this weekend. The fridge didnt work and the wife kicked my ass! I called Norcold hotline on Friday, and they asked if the little red light on from the board that they just installed. Yes, the little red light is on, OK, now unplug the ground and see if that does it. No! Ok what do I do now. Well, your going to have to go back to the shop that did the recall and they are going to make to checks on voltage... Oh my @#@$$##
Has anyone else had the recall break their fridge? I know, maybe the fix triped and shut the fridge down and saved my coach. Maybe, but until then, I'm looking at fridge sales at home depot. Thanks, needed to vent. Other than that, great trip..
Old 03-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #37

I'm leaning towards the omish fix. I love the fit of the exisiting fridge and the write ups for the omish seem great with a great warranty to boot.. Anyone have any negatives with the omish fix?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes others have had the same problem after getting the 2nd recall done. Some have had a fire which its suppose to stop from happening.
I would try and bypass their fix and see if you can get fridge working until you change out to Amish unit.
Thats what I plan on doing the Amish has double piping and is better in cooling, there are threads in this forum on how its done and peoples results when completed, have not heard any negatives on unit.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #39

I had the recall done at Newmar last November and just received a recall letter in the mail last night. I called and they said it was for the fix I had already done.Don't worry about it. Great notice hey? I could of burned up by now.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Are new units (2011) affected by this frig issue? I'm picking up my "new" unit in May.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
tcopeland, all Norcolds are on recall for fix #2 when you pick up coach make sure your fridge has it.
Norcold has not changed their design of there cooling unit which allot of us want to see them do instead of covering their hides with their maybe not fixes which have not worked for some people and have caused problems with fridge's that have worked OK before the #2 fix.
This is what the second recall will look like when done.
Give TSB time to upload.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone done a successful wire around of a Norcold recall? The red light on the little black box came on and Norcold says take it to a service center for a different recall fix....yeah right. ^&($%#))(*&, if you know what I mean!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
dometic, norcold, recall, service