Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #43
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim
Has anyone done a successful wire around of a Norcold recall? The red light on the little black box came on and Norcold says take it to a service center for a different recall fix....yeah right. ^&($%#))(*&, if you know what I mean!!!
Surely someone can help Elkhartjim bypass the recall. Anyone???

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Removing Norcold recall wiring

Here is what you do go to page #5 has picture of 12V BATTERY disconnected from the 12V power terminals into your control board.
Find your 12v feed for fridge and hook + & - leads to their respective terminals. Circle # 11
There is a jumper marked # 14 that shows a X that may have to be placed after removing wiring going to black recall box.
My first recall terminates on these terminals.
All other leads for recall devise just lay back out of the way of burner or heated pipes.
I have used my fridge and will view for yellow power or fluid if it shows up you need new cooling coils.
Have been doing this for past year. I have the first recall still hooked up because it will not interfere with operation of my fridge.

Here is part of a thread on a DOMETIC RECALL.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is my latest experience with the Norcold Model 1210.

I had the only recall for my model done in November (revision A black box). I used the refer on both LP and electric in Dec and January for about 30 days without any problems. The unit has been shut down and the mh hooked to shore power since the end of January. Yesterday I turned the unit on and it went into error mode. I called Norcold and was told to take it to my service center. This morning the service center called Norcold with the model and serial number, date the revision and which revision (A) was done, visual inspection as to whether the red lamp is on steady or blinking (mine is steady) and when did it fail. With that information they promised to ship the current fix...Revision E. Wonder how long that will last?

I have the dimensions of both the cut out and the physical dimensions of the Norcold and intend to go appliance shopping tomorrow. Guess what I'm shopping for?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim
This is my latest experience with the Norcold Model 1210.

I had the only recall for my model done in November (revision A black box). I used the refer on both LP and electric in Dec and January for about 30 days without any problems. The unit has been shut down and the mh hooked to shore power since the end of January. Yesterday I turned the unit on and it went into error mode. I called Norcold and was told to take it to my service center. This morning the service center called Norcold with the model and serial number, date the revision and which revision (A) was done, visual inspection as to whether the red lamp is on steady or blinking (mine is steady) and when did it fail. With that information they promised to ship the current fix...Revision E. Wonder how long that will last?

I have the dimensions of both the cut out and the physical dimensions of the Norcold and intend to go appliance shopping tomorrow. Guess what I'm shopping for?
Quitter

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 04-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #47
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You know, this whole situation is just plain nuts. Why is it a company chooses the cheap & less work for them route by just band-aiding what's more than obviously a major issue? Says a lot about their so called "concern" for the customers who get stuck with their product.

If I were ordering a new RV today, I wouldn't care if the newer units are outside of any current recall & supposedly safe. I'd tell 'em to leave the Norcold at the factory & I'd put in my own fridge.

Lori-
Old 04-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #48
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
From??
"It has come to Norcold attention that the high temperature limit switch has opened. in a limited number or 120X and 121X models refrigerators while the refrigerator is cooling. Field and laboratory investigations indicate that abnormal air currents in or around the refrigerator’s flue while the vehicle is in motion and the refrigerator is operating in the gas mode can interfere with the normal operation of the high temperature switch causing it to actuate. These air currents can be worsened in vehicles with less than optimal ventilation or by operating the vehicle for extended periods of time in excessive off-level conditions.

The ventilation and/or off-level conditions should be thoroughly checked and corrected before replacing an open high temperature switch. A resettable temperature switch will be used in all new production for this model and as a replacement part for the older, non-resettable high temperature switch.

The conditions described above should be thoroughly checked and corrected before replacing an open thermal switch. A resettable thermal disk is available to replace the open non resettable switch. The non resettable switch will not be available as a replacement item. "
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
From??
"It has come to Norcold attention that the high temperature limit switch has opened. in a limited number or 120X and 121X models refrigerators while the refrigerator is cooling. Field and laboratory investigations indicate that abnormal air currents in or around the refrigerator’s flue while the vehicle is in motion and the refrigerator is operating in the gas mode can interfere with the normal operation of the high temperature switch causing it to actuate. These air currents can be worsened in vehicles with less than optimal ventilation or by operating the vehicle for extended periods of time in excessive off-level conditions.

The ventilation and/or off-level conditions should be thoroughly checked and corrected before replacing an open high temperature switch. A resettable temperature switch will be used in all new production for this model and as a replacement part for the older, non-resettable high temperature switch.

The conditions described above should be thoroughly checked and corrected before replacing an open thermal switch. A resettable thermal disk is available to replace the open non resettable switch. The non resettable switch will not be available as a replacement item. "
Is this recall "P" for *&%#poor performance? Or, is it "L" for Lawyer?

Seriously, is this another recall? Where did this info come from? It sounds like Norcold is dissing their own black box.

Don
Old 04-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
From??

Just curious Wayne, is this info from FMCA? If so, beware.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #51

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Just got ours back today from the recall. They also found the panel bad on the front as the fridge would not work after they were done with the recall. Everything was fixed under warranty.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #52

Commercial Member

For all Norcold 1200 series refrigerator owners --

Recommend you read the blog page titled: How to Diagnose the "NEW" Norcold Recall Kit

It is located HERE.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the detailed new information Dale it may help people understand what maybe going on with different operation of red led.
The 900 heat value for cut off leaves me to wonder how fast a fire starts with the rupture anywhere on the cooling unit for a fire to start.
There have been some fires with the new version of recall they are using now.
As I have said before its all in the owners hands and not in Norcolds its like a hand off in football.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #54

Had the second recall accomplished several months ago an haven't used the MH since. Starting prepping the RV for a trip, noticed the red light was on the recall module. Called my RV repair folks and they indicated it could be a bad module and asked if I could bring it in for them to check out as they think it is a defective module.
We didn't have these problems until the recalls started. Now it seems that Norcold is having recalls for recalls. By the way what revision are they on now? The approved Nocold Service Center is 100 miles round trip an I'm getting tire of the expense. I realize it is a safety factor, but it appears to me that it is a CYA thing for Norcold an they could care less about the inconvenience to the customer.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #55
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Norcold Recall Info

We have been contacted by the folks at Norcold and asked to help them reach out to anyone who may have a fridge impacted by their latest recall. Please take a moment to look over the page of their website that out lines the models covered as they are extensive and there is a substantial risk. The recall extends back as far as 1987 and covers several models and all of the 1200 series units.

Norcold Recall

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
You know Janet...I agree with the thought that the masses need to be made aware, however, It really ticks me off that it take a class action lawsuit being filed for them to finally "reach out" to the CUSTOMERS that they sold a defective product to.

They are in CYA mode now and simply trying to protect their past profits. This is going to be a very interesting story to watch unfolding
Closed Thread

Tags
dometic, norcold, recall, service