RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #15

I will do my part. I will be sure to tell all RV owners I know to steer clear of Norcold products until they come forward, compensate RV owners and correct the faulty designs. Good Luck JTE. I for one stand behind you all the way.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Around 0.2% failure (Fire) rate, Norcold is not going to do a whole lot.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #17

$33 million split by the stated 569,000 fridge units is a whooping $58 per share if the attorneys took zero.
So when the Attorneys get their typical 33% each share will be less than $40.

Doesn't even come close to the cost of my Halon fire extinguisher.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #18

To give you guys an idea of the scale magnitude of how serious this problem is. You remember JTE posted detailed info on the next possible pending lawsuit plus a video of one of the worst fires in the this case. I took the liberty of googling "Norcold Lawsuit" and downloaded this picture. The picture below is absolute devastation, $150,000 rig. But all this damage was caused by one malfunctioning Norcold fridge. The company will like fold if this next class action suit goes through. If you have a Norcold fridge get it replaced. Don't let this happen to your rig.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411527652.445070.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	74782

Old 09-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
To give you guys an idea of the scale magnitude of how serious this problem is. You remember JTE posted detailed info on the next possible pending lawsuit plus a video of one of the worst fires in the this case. I took the liberty of googling "Norcold Lawsuit" and downloaded this picture. The picture below is absolute devastation, $150,000 rig. But all this damage was caused by one malfunctioning Norcold fridge. The company will like fold if this next class action suit goes through. If you have a Norcold fridge get it replaced. Don't let this happen to your rig. After taking a look at installs on the 1200 series, I was absolutely scared to death by how Mickey Mouse the wiring jobs look. No wonder these things caught on fire.
Attachment 74782

Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just added this post in another thread.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:43 AM   #21

Interestingly enough the lower refrigerator vent is still intact. At first look my assumption would be that this unit caught fire due to something up front on or near the engine......
Quote:
The picture below is absolute devastation, $150,000 rig. But all this damage was caused by one malfunctioning Norcold fridge. The company will like fold if this next class action suit goes through. If you have a Norcold fridge get it replaced. Don't let this happen to your rig.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you JLE. Your input clears up a lot of misconception. But I do have one question. Rumor has it that some of these Norcold units actually caught on fire. I heard rumors about some horrible rv fires. Is this true??

Yes, according to Norcold's incident logs provided under subpoena and in depositions indicate more than 2,500 reported fires. Below are videos to fires that you might want to take a look at.

Class A Norcold Fridge Fire - YouTube

RV fire/explosion at West Biloxi RV park - YouTube

There have been numerous instances where the RV was parked next to someones home when it burned, or in a RV barn. People's homes and garages have burned.

I would recommend that you read the following page on one RV dealers website where he won't work on, or even allow these units on his lot due to an experience that he recounts that almost took out his entire new inventory.

Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc.

It won't happen to everybody. But it is happening to too many.
JLE Seminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Interestingly enough the lower refrigerator vent is still intact. At first look my assumption would be that this unit caught fire due to something up front on or near the engine......
Here are some other examples of the results of Norcold fires from a firm that specializes in fire investigations.

RV Appraisals & Investigations of America
Old 10-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE Seminole View Post
I would recommend that you read the following page on one RV dealers website where he won't work on, or even allow these units on his lot due to an experience that he recounts that almost took out his entire new inventory.

Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc.
Maybe the website has changed since you posted this, but it actually says:

"To this end, I have decided that until the RV absorption refrigerator manufacturers correct this dangerous condition, we will no longer sell, install, or repair these units. ... Some of you may choose not to convert to a conventional refrigerator and I understand this just make sure your refrigerator is turned off before leaving your coach for repairs."

For the record, I appreciate the work you're doing in pursuing the lawsuit.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
$33 million split by the stated 569,000 fridge units is a whooping $58 per share if the attorneys took zero.
So when the Attorneys get their typical 33% each share will be less than $40.

Doesn't even come close to the cost of my Halon fire extinguisher.
I did the math and you are right, if everyone claimed. Let's say only 50% file a claim, that is still less than $80 a claimant, which will not replace the units, nor will it pay for a tank of fuel. The only folks who get rich on these are the Attorney's.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pretty obvious photo above was "NOT" a refer fire...

Mike
Old 10-28-2014, 12:26 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Maybe the website has changed since you posted this, but it actually says:

"To this end, I have decided that until the RV absorption refrigerator manufacturers correct this dangerous condition, we will no longer sell, install, or repair these units. ... Some of you may choose not to convert to a conventional refrigerator and I understand this just make sure your refrigerator is turned off before leaving your coach for repairs."

For the record, I appreciate the work you're doing in pursuing the lawsuit.
Thanks for the note. I try as hard as possible to be as accurate as humanly possible with my comments and references. I do not know if the website text has changed - will do a little back research. I believe when originally posted the comment was that units with Norcold units would not be allowed on their lot, but I'll have to look and see if I actually have the original quote from the webpage stored off line.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE Seminole View Post
I do not know if the website text has changed - will do a little back research.
Well, you know how people are; if they find one exaggeration or misstatement they distrust the entire premise.

Maybe that place used to prohibit them on the property but saw a massive drop in customers and changed course. Prohibiting any RV with a propane refrigerator would have to hurt business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
The only folks who get rich on these are the Attorney's.
Probably. But in a class action, it would be really hard to get a judgment big enough to make the entire class rich. And that's assuming the goal is to make claimants rich in the first place.

If people don't like the system, they can always choose to bring suit themselves, covering the expenses themselves. Or they could even come up with a better system. I'm not interested in doing either, and am grateful to those who pursued this on my behalf, and have kept at it.

I may get a little compensation, but more important to me is that Norcold is being held responsible. It's certainly not going to hurt them as much as I'd like, but if I'm not going to do the work, I don't think I have a right to complain.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, norcold