Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #1

Norcold drain hose

i have a 2003 Winnebago Journey DL WITH WATER IN THE BOTTOM OF THE FRIDGE EVERY TIME AFTER IT IS TURNED OFF. I REMOVED THE VENT COVER OUTSIDE AND FOUND THE DRAIN HOSE WITH A PLUG. TOOK THE PLUG OUT AND ITS OK NOW. SHOULD I HAVE DONE SOMETHING DIFFERENT. There is also a metal pan in the area where the drain hose was. HELP
Jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Community Administrator

That plug is important and should be placed back on. It has a pin hole which needs to be kept unclogged . That's what caused your issue.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #3

Do you know what the plug does?
Jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Here's a link to an older thread that explains how it creates a vapor lock to keep warm air from going back up into the unit.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/norco...be-134091.html

Old 08-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
Commercial Member

The plug acts as a check valve letting the water out but keeping the outside humid air from entering thru the hose.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpop View Post
Clogs up???
Keeps little crawlers from entering the hose.

I see lots of rigs with absorption refers with what we call a snorkel. Slip a piece of hose over the drain hose and run it out through a slot in the side vent pannel. This helped us when our drain cup wouldn't evaporate as fast as water entered it.

If you poke a pin or wire in the small hole you can clear it.

We didn't have the issue before we added the Amish Cooling Unit. The Norco was always hot enough to evaporate the water.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
My Norcold drain hose plug, (which has holes in it), allows any water that drips into the drain pan below the fins in the refrigerator to drain out of the pan through the hose.
Mel
'96 Safari, (Norcold 682 fridge)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Clogs up???

I see lots of rigs with absorption refers with what we call a snorkel. Slip a piece of hose over the drain hose and run it out through a slot in the side vent pannel. This helped us when our drain cup wouldn't evaporate as fast as water entered it.

We didn't have the issue before we added the Amish Cooling Unit. The Norco was always hot enough to evaporate the water.

I would think that method defeats the valor lock mentioned above .

Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I would think that method defeats the valor lock mentioned above .
The plug is still in place, so maybe that's all that's needed. The longer hose just diverts the water out to the ground. Since it was a fix for water accumulating in the fridge and the cup being full and spilling water in the outside compartment, I'm good with that. I have seen many a snorkel over the years. If its defeats something - it at least defeats the water build up too. Currently we are running without snorkel... cause Vegas was so hot your sweat dried before your very eyes and water couldn't collect anywhere. Eek
Old 08-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Quote:
The plug is still in place, so maybe that's all that's needed. The longer hose just diverts the water out to the ground. Since it was a fix for water accumulating in the fridge and the cup being full and spilling water in the outside compartment. I'm good with that. I have seen many a snorkel over the years. If its defeats something - it at least defeats the water build up too. Currently we are running without snorkel... cause Vegas was so hot your sweat dried before your very eyes and water couldn't collect anywhere. Eek

I'm pretty sure that the tube end needs to be in the cup so the water in the cup will create this vapor lock.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Quote:
Clogs up???
I see lots of rigs with absorption refers with what we call a snorkel. Slip a piece of hose over the drain hose and run it out through a slot in the side vent panel. This helped us when our drain cup wouldn't evaporate as fast as water entered it.
flaggship1
Good answer and great suggestions.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the tube end needs to be in the cup so the water in the cup will create this vapor lock.
While its hard to see here, I just looked and my dirty little cup is as dry as a bone - with a little water droplet on the plug. It gets close to 100 here in St George Utah and it was well over 100 in Vegas for 17 days. Dry as bone there too. Back in humid Texas the cup would sit full...

Perhaps the vapor lock is only needed in certain situations. Maybe I have a problem and don't know it but my Amish Norcold is as cool as a cucumber and the Popsicles are hard as rocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1439222620481.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	102741  
Old 08-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Community Administrator

I added water when I noticed the cup was dry. There's a right way of doing things ( as per the mfg. ) and there's the way others are seen doing it.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I added water when I noticed the cup was dry. There's a right way of doing things ( as per the mfg. ) and there's the way others are seen doing it.
I have little trust in what manufacturers of absorption refrigerators say these days. Ours has only been running continuously since November 1, 2014. Guess I will continue to do it the wrong way and hope for the best.

Tags
norcold