Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminman View Post
I checked the recall box and it says "revision E". So I assume that is a good one. Date is year 2013. What else would cause the on/off not to work and no interior light? Like I said before it did not come on before the black box light came on. Could it still be a defective box? From my understanding, the light comes on because the overheat sensor detected an over heat. How could it overheat if you can not turn the fridge on and it was off?
its most likely a bad black box assembly seeing as it failed when not actually in service
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Again, If the red light is on the black box, you will not have power to your ref. regardless of the date on the black box. Have it replaced and be sure the factory installed fans on the coil in the middle of the ref. are working properly. The fans in the middle can be seen from the top access door and can be replaced without pulling the ref., but it requires a lot of patience. Bottom line, the more cooling you provide for this ref., the happier you will be. Based on my experience, I suggest that you have full control of your fans and let them run all the time. Also parking in the shade is a great suggestion. If you have other questions,put them on this site for more suggestions. For the owners that have more than two fans, please know that they were installed by the previous owner. Finally, I purchased my MH NEW in 2007 and never had a problem until I received a notice of the recall in 2011. After three recalls and constant problems, I decided to add more fans and my problem seems to be solved. Remember this, most of the problems have been resolved by the owners when they trade their MH or replace the ref. with a new one or add more fans and park in the shade. Good luck.
Heber Eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #31

Roof fans

I wired in today 2 computer fans in the fridge roof vent. All went well. I got 2 that were 0.3amps and very quite. I also wired an off/on switch at the bottom of the fridge unit inside, that is lit when on. So the fans will remain on all the time while the fridge is being used and I know they are on from the light. It went pretty easy, just took my time.

Ran the wire down the cavity and fed the switch wire through the opening for the icemaker water supply that happened to be in the furnace area, so it was real easy. Great tips and ideas here, thanks guys (gals). Do you think I need to have another fan put in the bottom outside, area and inside the fridge? Or is that overkill. I did check the fans that were there from Norcold and I could here them running.
jaminman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #32

Norcold power out

Same problem- 2006 Cayman with Norcold 1200 worked perfectly first 3 trips, then picked up from storage and no power. External red light is on, checked all fuses including iside black box, all are good.
Need temporary fix for now, should I try the magnet or install 20 amp fuse to bypass the board?
bamacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
If when you say "external red light is on" meaning the RED LED light located on the square black box that is part of the POS Norcold Recall, then you are dead in the road.

Try the magnet reset procedure and if it comes back on within an hour or so, then you have to have it serviced by an authorized Norcold Service Center.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamacdonald View Post
Same problem- 2006 Cayman with Norcold 1200 worked perfectly first 3 trips, then picked up from storage and no power. External red light is on, checked all fuses including iside black box, all are good.
Need temporary fix for now, should I try the magnet or install 20 amp fuse to bypass the board?
I assume it is the red light on the black box. The magnet worked for me to reset it, seems to be fine now. From what I can tell that black box serves one purpose and that is to shut down the fridge so Norcolds rear end is covered. If forces you to go to a dealer and have them tell you, time for a new fridge. I put extra fans on to keep it cooler and avoid the over heat problem, seems to works fine now. I wired an off/on lighted switch on the bottom front of the fridge to turn the fans on whenever we travel.
jaminman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold