RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #15
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Your 50A converter/charger is DEAD ...

When blown...no Converter DC Output
Right, which also means that an autostart on the generator will not help because the 120 VAC output from the generator is fed to the converter, which creates the 12 VDC to charge the batteries.

The OP needs to absolutely confirm that the house batteries are in fact charging when only the generator is running. He earlier stated he thought the batteries were charging from the generator.

He can do that by starting the generator and looking at the converter input voltage. There's either 120 VAC there or there's not. He also needs to look at the battery post voltage just on the generator. He needs to be above 13 volts.

I suspect the batteries are not charging from the generator either which would confirm the blown converter.

Otherwise he has a wiring problem where that converter 120 VAC outlet is directly wired to the generator output instead of to the coach side of the automatic transfer switch.

Another possibility is that he has 120 VAC at the converter outlet only when the converter is unplugged. He could have a wiring problem where a high-resistance connection (such as a bad converter breaker) drops the 120 VAC at the converter outlet when the converter tries to draw power.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Are you sure? That would mean there is no way to test it without a load. I've fixed dozens of non-RV inverters in my career and none behaved like that. If there's no load you still had 120 VAC but the inverter pulled almost no current from the 12 VDC side.

Ray
I was speaking of my Xantrex RS2000,I assumed others are the same. Assumed got me again. 120VAC may be detected with a VOM, however it will not provide wattage until a load is detected. The Xantrex tests the circuit for a load based on a customizable setting time length to reduce battery drain.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold