Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 07:13 PM   #1

Norcold Fridge no AC first now no gas either

I have a Norcold fidge in my trailer. A couple days ago it quit working on AC power but continued to work on gas. The internal fuse was good but no power to the heating element. I have ordered a new board but it might not arrive in time for our big trip. Anyhow, gas was working great for about 24 hours then it has quit, too. I can still hear the flame but the inside of the fridge is very warm - no cooling at all. The camper is not perfectly level but it is not off by a lot. Could that be it? What happens when it is not level and, once leveled, will it start working immediately?
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 07:27 PM   #2

Off level WILL interrupt the cooling process

Off level operation disrupts the natural gravity flow of coolant, causes overheating of coolant, causes formation of crystals that plate out on inside of tubing which causes obstructions which results in more overheating/crystals/plating......
Damage is accumulative so more you operate off level the more damage can occur
Damage (plating out) is Permanent

Level operation restores the nature gravity flow of coolant.

AC element ....no power to element
Any Error Codes?
How did you verify No Power to element?
Does it have one or two elements? 2--both have to work to cool fridge

MODEL of fridge would Help.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. The fridge is a Norcold N8XCL. I went ahead and leveled the camper. It took 3 blocks on the passenger side and I raised the tongue about 2 inches. Just now I unplugged the camper so the fridge will run on the inverter for AC. The BMV712 is showing that it is pulling about 350 watts now. Not sure why when I measured the voltage between the terminals for the heating element previously I saw 0 volts. Could be the electronics detected that I disconnected the heating element and shut down the power. Anyhow it is pulling amps now. Too soon to tell if it is cooling. If it was too much out of level, do I need to let it completely cool? It was quite hot from the flame when I shut it off and it was still kind of warm when I just now after 30 minutes turned it back on electric.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #4

Norcold N8XCL
Pg 7 Specs---AC heater Element ONE 300W and 2.5A Draw
Pg 26/27 -- Operation of N7X/8X
Pg 27/28 ---Fault Codes
Pg 31/36 ---Troubleshooting
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...r_N7N8-1EN.pdf

Fridge was definitely Off Level....
Now that RV is level let fridge run
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:52 PM   #5

Working well now. I've never had a RV fridge do that before. I mean, I knew it was a possibility but it never happened to me. We've moved and now the RV is a little more off level while parked at home. Now I know I need to keep it more level. I actually have a load of road base and a load of gravel that I am using to make a parking spot and to shore up the driveway. The priority on getting that finished just moved up, but first I'm off to Montana tomorrow.

Tags
fridge, gas, norcold