Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #1

Norcold fridge not cooling on propane

we replaced our cooling unit with an amish unit back in may. runs great on electric. moved to the boonies a couple days ago and the unit does not cool on propane. i can hear the flame burning. fan is running. before our old unit died, it ran great on propane. what should i be looking for? no internet where we are, so i'll check back later today or early morning. thanks- norcold n1095 fridge
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 11:06 AM   #2

Heat is heat so if it cools on AC and Not on Gas then the issue is with the GAS System

Usually has to do with LOW LP System Pressure
A Dirty Gas Orifice
A Dirty Buner
***Flame should be Strong BLUE flame slight roar that just reaches up into bottom of flue baffle
A Dirty Flue/Flue Baffle....transfers the Heat to boiler tube.

So first place to start is with cleaning of burner assembly

Here is Service Manual for your Model
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...52C_091407.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanna2016 View Post
we replaced our cooling unit with an amish unit back in may. runs great on electric. moved to the boonies a couple days ago and the unit does not cool on propane. i can hear the flame burning. fan is running. before our old unit died, it ran great on propane. what should i be looking for? no internet where we are, so i'll check back later today or early morning. thanks- norcold n1095 fridge

Had similar issue on older unit. Spider had left web in chimney. I had to pull unit into coach to get access to chimney. 2 or 3 person job. I then removed deflector and dropped weighted string down and pulled Steele wool back. Replaced deflector and it worked. Good luck.
ThurmanGrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My first thought was that the burner needs cleaning, but it doesn't make sense that it was working fine on the old cooking unit!

I had a problem once where the burner was working but the fridge not cooling. It turned out that the burner needed cleaning. I soaked it in 91% alcohol for several hours, then blew it out with compressed air. After that, it worked great! You have to be really careful doing that and not use high-pressure air as it will destroy the orifice and you have to buy a new burner!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #5

ok- i got back to our motorhome. i have a strong flame ( in my opinion). while reading the manual on page 24 under components, the warning says not to alter or modify the burner anti-vibration loop. back in may when the mobile guy replaced our cooling unit, he crimped the burner tube and ended up straightening out the loop to allow the tube to reach inside the burner box after cutting out the crimped part of the tube . because the tube was shortened, it is about 3/8" to 1/2" away from the proper position where it is supposed to be seated. could this combination be the reason why it is not cooling on propane?
Old 08-04-2021, 08:08 PM   #6

Quote:
ok- i got back to our motorhome. i have a strong flame ( in my opinion). while reading the manual on page 24 under components, the warning says not to alter or modify the burner anti-vibration loop. back in may when the mobile guy replaced our cooling unit, he crimped the burner tube and ended up straightening out the loop to allow the tube to reach inside the burner box after cutting out the crimped part of the tube . because the tube was shortened, it is about 3/8" to 1/2" away from the proper position where it is supposed to be seated. could this combination be the reason why it is not cooling on propane?
GAS flow is dependent on LP System Pressure and the Burner Orifice

The anti-vibration loop has nothing to do with flow/pressure
It is there because they used aluminum tube which is more rigid then cooper tubing

When was last time you cleaned burner assembly/Flue---EVER?

BAD Flame/left .....Vs GOOD Flame/right
Old 08-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #7

FYI.....
You should buy/replace that gas line with the proper one
Norcold 624682 Burner Tube

You should buy/replace the Main LP Regulator .....if that one is OEM/2008
LOW LP System Pressure will result in cooler flame temp...which results in less heat transfer/less cooling affect
Even with a CLEAN Burner assembly
Old 08-05-2021, 09:57 AM   #8

i will order the part. as for cleaning, it's never been done so i'll do that today. maybe some dirt got jostled around when the unit was replaced. thanks for the info and i'll let you sll know the outcome
Old 08-07-2021, 12:20 PM   #9

cleaned the burner yesterday. ran the fridge overnite. temps did not drop. ordered a new burner. anything else i can do to cool it down? as far as cleaning the flue, this is a new amish fridge installed in may. thanks
Old 08-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #10

Quote:
cleaned the burner yesterday. ran the fridge overnite. temps did not drop. ordered a new burner. anything else i can do to cool it down? as far as cleaning the flue, this is a new amish fridge installed in may. thanks
LP System Pressure

11"WC (0.4 psi)

10"WC (0.36 psi).......cold flame/less heat transferred
**YOU can NOT visually tell difference between 11"WC & 10"WC

Runs Great on Electric.....cooling unit is functioning so it is NOT a blockage in cooling unit
Not cooling on GAS
*Dirty Orifice/burner
*LOW LP System Pressure
Old 08-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #11

how can i get that tested?
Old 08-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #12

Quote:
how can i get that tested?

You can either make a MANOMETER, take it to someone with a gauge, OR, if you are having to pay someone, probably about the same price to just buy a brand new regulator and install it yourself.

At 13+ years old, I would lean toward just replacing it.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:38 PM   #13

Mentioned in some directions I read before on replacing cooling unit often mistake is missing the flue baffel. Did your old unit have the spiral baffle hanging down from from top of burner tube. My Dometic has it built into burner tube.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Mentioned in some directions I read before on replacing cooling unit often mistake is missing the flue baffel. Did your old unit have the spiral baffle hanging down from from top of burner tube. My Dometic has it built into burner tube.
THAT is a good possibility....Amish cooling unit replacement---did it come with a new flue baffle???

No flue baffle...no heat transfer...no cooling

Should be wire clip in top opening of Flue
Fridge in slideout...access vent upper vent

SEE Pg 25 in LINK I posted earlier

If it has baffle...then replace that 13 yr Main LP Reg

Tags
cooling, fridge, norcold, propane