Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #1

Norcold Fridge on Timer

Hi All -

New here, I have a 2 way Norcold absorption fridge in my travel trailer, it is a real power hog and I am looking for ways to cut its requirements.

I have quite a bit of solar and batteries in the rig and generally like to run on AC power rather than gas if I can.

To cut my AC power use I was wondering if I could, without harming the fridge, put a timer in the circuit to cut the fridge off at say 2300 hours till 0600 hours as it doesn't get opened and should stay plenty cold.

My concern is it is going to want to hunt for gas once the AC power goes away, can I just leave it hunting and it will stop trying to light ? Or will it just try and try to light all night ?

Thoughts would be appreciated.
tr0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #2

Replacing it with a residental fridge would be the best answer. They use less then 1/3 the power on AC.

For the one you have, I'm thinking you could put a timer on the 12 volt supply to it. That way it won't look for any power.

As a test get it running on Auto-120 volts, and pull the fuse to the fridge. Then wstch and see what happens. I'm thinking no control, no fridge.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

If the fridge is on and no AC power is available, it will divert to LP gas to maintain the temperature. You'd have to put the timer in the 12v power to the fridge. You'll also have to be sure that the refrigerator will come on to the settings you had before it was disconnected. Have you checked the amperage draw of the heating element? If the fridge is at temperature and not being opened, I wouldn't think it would require that much electricity. The little bit of LP used to maintain the temperature overnight might not be worth the effort.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Your fridge can run a long long long time on propane.

Why dont you want to run it on propane?
Old 09-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #5

Guess you are running fridge on AC via an Inverter...hence the 'power hog'
Otherwise if AC is available then wouldn't matter.
Course that all depends on WHICH Model you have also.

If you interrupt the AC Power fridge WILL attempt to swap to GAS and if propane is valved out it with 'fail' and lockout after 3 attempts to light off.

If you interrupt the 12V DC at the DC terminal on backside of fridge (or via Main DC Fuse for fridge) the fridge will NOT function on electric or propane.
DC is required for 'controls'

But if fridge is NOT opened during the nighttime.......AC Power usage should be nil cause fridge only runs when temp in food compartment goes UP
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't add anything to what others have said but noticed you are new to IRV2 and just wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #7

Norcold frig

I have a Norco fridge having trouble keeping it colder than 42. Took the thermostat unhooked it let it run for eight hours solid and it still didn’t come down any temperature does anyone have any suggestions could it be the cooling unit or how to fix it thank you
Dtobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtobin View Post
I have a Norco fridge having trouble keeping it colder than 42. Took the thermostat unhooked it let it run for eight hours solid and it still didn’t come down any temperature does anyone have any suggestions could it be the cooling unit or how to fix it thank you

Welcome!

Should start YOUR own thread about your fridge problem AND provide more info

Model
Freezer temp
Food compartment temp
Same result on electric and propane
OK on one but not other
In a slide out or not
ETC.

Will be looking for YOUR post
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags