Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #1

Norcold ice buildup in fridge

Ice starting building up in the drip tray. I removed the black plug at the end of the drain line and cleaned it. I used a waterpik to run hot water through the line which drained into the pan and reinstalled the tray. Problem goes away for a day or two and then the freeze begins. Any suggestions? (I have the temp set to "5" which is 36'.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep a thermometer in my Norcold.

You said you are at 36 degrees....I assume you have a thermometer inside yours too?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #3

The number of times and length of time doors are open contribute to ice buildup. If the door seals do not seal properly it contributes to ice buildup.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I hit mine with a blow dryer when it builds up but it usually takes about two weeks to build up.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #5

This is a guess but you might try changing were the thermistor is positioned on the cooling fins. I think mine is on the third fin from the right, about 1/2” from the top. Mine is a Norcold. Again just a guess.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #6

Update

48 hours after initial post, my fridge is working. After my original post, I removed the drip tray and washed it out with hot water and made sure the hole wasn't plugged up with ice. It's draining now as designed (opened outside door and there was water in the outside pan). Interior temp monitored with a digital thermometer. It averages about 35 degrees which is right where I want it. My guess is that the hole in the drip tray is freezing up and preventing the water from draining as designed. Not sure how to fix if it reoccurs. I don't want to raise the temp inside the fridge. The freezer needs to be defrosted (waiting to use up as much food as possible), this has been 6 weeks trip so far and ice is building up in the freezer but that is expected.

I have had a fridge fan in the fridge on this trip and find it really helps keep the temp of everything more even.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #7
NXR

Quote:
48 hours after initial post, my fridge is working.
My Norcold 1210 (four-door) runs an automatic defrost cycle every 49 hours. It shuts off the cooling unit and lets the fridge get to 42 degrees before it turns the cooling unit back on. The freezer can go into the mid-20's.

What model Norcold fridge do you have?

Ray
Old 10-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #8

N822RT
Old 10-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
N822RT
Doesn't have a 'defrost' mode like the 1200 series

If drip tray has water then drain hole/drain hose/drain hose check valve (black plug) are clogged
Drip tray can be moist but should not hold any water

'5' temp setting and holding 36*F ----cooling unit is working GREAT

Service Manual for N6XX/N8XX Series
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold