Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2023, 08:42 AM   #1

Norcold N10DCSSR Not Cooling

First time taking our used 2020 KZ Connect 261RB out for an extended period, I am living in it for work. Our fridge is not cooling, we thought maybe it was just taking a long time to cool down with a few things in it, but neither the fridge or freezer are working. It's been on for 42 hours now and still not cold.

It has power, I believe it is only 12v and no propane. I can adjust settings/lights come on/etc. I can hear refrigerant running through the freezer walls, and I can 'hear' the fridge running, but not super loud.

Norcolds only advice is "Take it to a service center" and none of the manuals I have go past any trouble shooting more than that of "turning it off and on again or making sure there's no airflow obstructions."

I haven't seen any error codes on the main control board display - also I haven't been able to see any thermistors, but I haven't taken anything apart yet. We thought it was cooling before we bought groceries with just the one item in it, but let the groceries sit in there for 12+ hours and they had gotten warmer. Again, freezer and fridge are not full or being blocked by air flow.

Really hoping I can give it a once over before paying a mobile RV tech.
I am handy and can fix most things myself, so long as I have a tutorial/guide to follow. I'm just not the kind to KNOW what to check outside of - does it have power. I haven't pulled it out of its cubby yet - I was hoping I could get to the compressor from the exterior but it doesn't look that way.
brendanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2023, 09:10 AM   #2

Yours is a direct expansion unit with a compressor.

If it’s not cooling but the compressor is for sure running and you hear refrigerant gurgling, particularly in the freezer area, then the system very likely has a refrigerant leak.

It’s possible (but unlikely) you could have a failed door seal.

Generally in a DX system, a refrigerant leak can be found by looking for traces of oil at any refrigeration system assembly point - copper/copper welds, copper/aluminum epoxy joints, and any where refrigerant tubing penetrates a metal endplate, such as the ends of the cooling coils.

Repairs are generally not easy to make without a good vacuum pump, bottle of dry nitrogen, a torch, silfoss (assuming copper/copper joints), and a means to measure ounces (and I mean ounces) of refrigerant, and a new filter/drier.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Yours is a direct expansion unit with a compressor.

If it’s not cooling but the compressor is for sure running and you hear refrigerant gurgling, particularly in the freezer area, then the system very likely has a refrigerant leak.

It’s possible (but unlikely) you could have a failed door seal.

Generally in a DX system, a refrigerant leak can be found by looking for traces of oil at any refrigeration system assembly point - copper/copper welds, copper/aluminum epoxy joints, and any where refrigerant tubing penetrates a metal endplate, such as the ends of the cooling coils.

Repairs are generally not easy to make without a good vacuum pump, bottle of dry nitrogen, a torch, silfoss (assuming copper/copper joints), and a means to measure ounces (and I mean ounces) of refrigerant, and a new filter/drier.
Thank you! I am at work right now but will pull it out later - I do construction management so I'm familiar with MEP systems - but the details of troubleshooting is where my knowledge stops and I rely on my trade partners to do their magic lol

If its a leak I would have no issue calling a repair tech to come braze, purge, and refill the system. I should hopefully be able to find one if its there. I can check the door seals and make sure nothing looks out of whack.

Aside from pulling it out and physically getting near the compressor, I can't say for certain right now its running, I just know I could hear the fridge itself from the front face. I will try and run home at lunch and mess around with it.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:42 AM   #4

Installation Manual so you have an idea on how it was put in
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...G_20220511.pdf

Owners Manual....troubleshooting starts on pg 9/10
Not very detailed other then basics
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...F_20230109.pdf

Parts List should you need something
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...8_20230109.pdf
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:05 AM   #5

Haven't spoke directly to him yet, but it sounds like the repair tech said it's most likely a "bad cooling unit" he got no readings from his diagnostics run, found no refrigerant leaks, etc.

His opinion was to just go and find a regular residential fridge that will fit and stay away from the RV fridges - unless it was the control board on the back side, he says you usually just replace the whole thing, with how difficult it is to get parts.

Edit - obviously the big issue is 12v DC vs a 120VAC application.

my camper is 50amp, with the ability to add a second AC unit. Could I just add a new 15-20amp breaker and run new wires to 1. put a receptacle in for the residential fridge. 2. hard wire a new residential fridge?

I will be honest I don't know enough about the 12v appliances to know whether or not I can use the existing wiring setup, but I'm assuming no.

Tags
cooling, norcold