Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 11:45 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nhinze, dropping to 12.5vdc says "battery voltage"= 90%+/-, whre 12.6-12.7=100%. You apparently are not getting a B+ CHARGE VOLTAGE (13vdc+) to the trailer from the 7-pin harness? Do you have it at the Tow Receptacle, or not wired, or not working? Should be IGN controlled, where IGN=OFF=B+Off to prevent draining tow battery.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2021, 07:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhinze View Post
This trailer came with a small solar panel on the roof. I'm guessing less than a 100W probably. The trailer was built in 2006. The voltages I'm reading are from the "Solar Regulator" screen. It also has a "Battery Charge Indicator".

When plugged into shore power and the fridge on it says it is charging the battery at 14+ V. Removing shore power and connecting to the vehicle with the engine on, the charging voltage drops to 12.5V.

I don't have a TV in there. Essentially only the fridge, lights, and radio are 12V.

Is this whole setup ignoring the vehicle charge line and defaulting to the solar panel? That tiny panel cannot keep up with the demands on the fridge in 12V mode.
The tow vehicle charge line, solar, and built in converter/charger all work together if they are all "on". They do not switch "in", "out", or "default. The highest voltage provides the most current. Lowest voltage provides the least current.

Most late model absorption refrigerators work on propane or 120 volts. They only use a small amount of 12 volt current to run control circuits. A few models use a large amount of 12 volt current to power the heater in the boiler.

Assuming yours uses 12 volts to power the heater in the boiler, expect that heater to use a lot of 12 volt power. The built in converter charger can probably provide enough current to satisfy the refer and charge the batteries. This explains the 14.4 volts you see when plugged into shore power.

The small solar probably does very little to help the refer run when not connected to shore power. A 100 watt panel may provide 6 to 8 amps in direct sun when it is new. A smaller, older panel may provide a lot less. Battery terminal voltage would be expected to drop slowly.

A tow vehicle charge line may provide a little or a lot of 12 volt current. It depends on how it was installed. The limiting factor is typically the size of the 12 volt power wire and the size of the negative ground wire. A small alternator can also limit.

Many smaller tow vehicles use 10 gauge wire for the 12 volt positive. I have seen some that use smaller 18 gauge ground wire or no ground wire at all. In this case the tow vehicle cannot supply enough current to fully power the refrigerator. Battery voltage will slowly drop. That would explain the 12.5 volt reading while connected to the tow vehicle.

I installed an 8 gauge charge line and short 8 gauge ground wire, and a bigger self resetting circuit breaker in my Nissan Pathfinder. I get much better charging from my tow vehicle now.

I run my refer on propane while driving. I check to see it is still lit whenever I stop. The wind sometimes blows to fire out.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:24 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
OP has a 12 volt compressor model....
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhinze View Post

I don't have a TV in there. Essentially only the fridge, lights, and radio are 12V.

"TV" = tow vehicle, not television
Old 10-05-2021, 05:44 AM   #19

I performed another test this morning in the dark to eliminate the interaction with the solar panel. To recap:

TV: 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax Diesel. 14+V measured between ground and B+ on both OEM and 5th wheel plug.

TT: 2006 Jamco Horse Trailer with Living Quarters.

Voltages are read from the "Solar Regulator" screen:

Fridge off. Only parasitic loads.
Trailer plugged into shore power. 13.2V
Trailer unplugged from shore power: 13.1V
Turned fridge on: 12.4V
Attached truck: 12.4V
Turned fridge off: 12.5V
Trailer plugged into shore power. 13.7V

Same conclusion as above. The trailer does not seem to receive power through the charge line. I need to check that the charge line is connected in the trailer plug.

Would there be a fuse in the trailer to check also?
nhinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:01 AM   #20

Would there be a fuse in the trailer to check also?

Trailers can be wired in many different ways. Mine has a 30 amp self-resetting circuit breaker between the battery and 7 pin tow line. Yours may have a fuse.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
OP has a 12 volt compressor model....
OP has a Norcold 400.3 Absorption fridge
120VAC Element/12VDC element/Propane
Not a 12VDC Compressor unit

OP....
Yes the 'charge' line trailer side is fuse protected
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:34 PM   #22