Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2022, 08:54 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Norcold N82 Problems

Good morning,
We have a 2009 Safari Simba 30sfs with a Norcold N82 fridge. Stopped cooling both fridge and freezer, but no message on board - reads normal. Any ideas?
Also, if I go to a replacement fridge - what are thoughts about using a regular fridge vs 2 way? The reviews of the new Norcold aren't encouraging.
We don't travel much - mostly stationery.
Thanks
Mario Ross
akamaroriki@hotmail.com
marioross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 09:04 AM   #2

Mario-

Our coaches are from the same family line: Monaco Monarch, HR Admiral, Safari Simba (gas).

"Old-Biscuit" will be along shortly to help you troubleshoot your N82. I usually prefer to repair a unit that has worked well. If repair cost is high, then I consider replacement. If the repair cost is low, but the unit shows signs of old age or consistently under-performs, I consider replacement.

In 2021 I replaced the N82 in my coach with a residential 10 cubic foot Frigidaire FFET1022U. If you are on shore power most all the time residential is a reasonable choice. My other choices were:

a) A Norcold propane/electric, like the original
b) Replace the cooling unit, keep the same cabinet and controls
c) A 12V compressor-driven unit
d) A 120V compressor-driven unit

I tried b), then scrapped it and went to d).

In my opinion, the equipment cost over the long haul likely will be similar for each option. (Propane/electric costs more, but lasts longer.)

If you go 12V or 120V, you should figure out how you keep the unit going when underway. Two choices for 120V are run the generator or an inverter. For 12V you usually let the alternator supply the unit.

If you buy the Frigidaire or like unit, send me a private message and I'll share how I installed it in my (similar) coach.

By the way, I have wiring diagrams for your coach. I'll send them to your e-mail account.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:14 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Getting Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioross View Post
Good morning,
We have a 2009 Safari Simba 30sfs with a Norcold N82 fridge. Stopped cooling both fridge and freezer, but no message on board - reads normal. Any ideas?
Also, if I go to a replacement fridge - what are thoughts about using a regular fridge vs 2 way? The reviews of the new Norcold aren't encouraging.
We don't travel much - mostly stationery.
Thanks
Mario Ross
akamaroriki@hotmail.com
The "Norcold N82 fridge" was a fine fridge. The regular fridge is a good option if you are not off of shore power (120VAC) often.

As stated "reviews of the new Norcold aren't encouraging", thus I would do as suggested above, rebuild the fridge you have if you decide you want the flexibility of the absorption fridge.

Regarding "Stopped cooling both fridge and freezer":

1) I assume the lights are on, so the fridge has power?

2) You checked the fridge on both LP Gas and Electric?

3) TIP: If the Norcold recall boiler housing thermal switch trips, no power will go to the fridge, therefore #1, the lights would be off.

NOTE: The recall thermal switches trip for no apparent reason, usually age. It is rare that heat trips them.

We do have videos on YouTube for replacement of cooling units if you decide to go this route. We show some important tips and tricks.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have further questions

Tags
ems, norcold, problem, problems