Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #1

Norcold quit working

My norcold quit working last night. Its a 1200 double door and has the recall already installed. By quit working, I mean I have no power. When I press the On/Off switch the LED doesn't come on.
The red LED was illuminated on the recall box. I tried running a magnet over it but nothing happened. Out of frustration I pulled a couple wires off the box and put them back on. The light went out but still no power.
Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
First I would look for any yellow substance around cooling unit or ammonia smell you may need to replace cooling unit, if checks OK than do the following.
Have you checked the 12v fuse on your main fuse panel or checked maybe a 12v wiring block at the base of fridge for 12v plus you have a fuse on control board for your 12v. One for the 12v and another 5 amp for heating elements.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #3

I checked the 12V circuit breaker for the fridge. Is there more than 1 fuse? Im going to check the control board for a fuse now.

Is it possible the magnet wasn't strong enough or I didn't hold it there long enough. The magnet seemed a little weak.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #4

No smell of ammonia or yellow stuff around the cooling unit.
I noticed that I didn't get the wire plugged back on correctly last night. I plugged it back correctly and the red LED is on again.
I think the magnet Im using just isn't strong enough.

Is there any other way to reset this thing? or bypass it?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
There is a reset procedure for the Norcold 1200 series. Call David Force at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse and he will e-mail you a copy. I can't find the one he sent me.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With the red led lite on black box the magnet has to reset it may not be good enough to do it as you said.
You can bypass, until if you need new box, but your at risk if the cooling coils rupture, by following the wire leads to control board and place the 12v lead on black box to the control board.
I would get a better magnet its worked for many people so it works.
You can get info in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The box is easily bypassed. Button concern is why box shut you down. The stack got too hot. Turning off the box.
If you need to bypass the box. Here you go

There is a red wire going to the box from the coach.
There is a blue wire from the box to the circuit board on the refrigerator.
Put the red wire to the circuit board where the blue wire is now and you are now connected up as original.
It will work now. I'd run only on LP since it is less efficient than running the 110v.
Beware I'm not suggesting this be done. But if you can keep an eye on it. Them I'd go for it, if its your only option.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not a good idea

Even though the recall circuits are known for giving false positives it is not a good idea to circumvent the purpose of the circuit. It's only slightly less a bad idea to reset it with a strong magnet. But of the two the latter is a safer option.

That being said we all know that sometimes you just can't pack everything up and go to a Norcold service center at the drop of a hat? But you should let an authorized expert look at it as soon as possible.

If it's not a false positive and you circumvent it and your coach catches fire what would your insurance company have to say?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #9

Following up on this. I did call David Force, great guy answered the phone on a Saturday and was happy to help. He walked me through confirming there was no Ammonia leaks and then instructed me on how to bypass the recall unit to get me through the weekend.

Once I got home I took a little more time with a stronger manget and was eventually able to reset the recall "box". I have it at the dealer now and they are rechecking the fridge and verifying proper operation of the recall unit.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshackleford View Post
He walked me through confirming there was no Ammonia leaks and then instructed me on how to bypass the recall unit to get me through the weekend.
Other than the typical "look", "smell", did he say anthing that might benefit us all? Like look here for this...".
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #12

Standard stuff, strong smell of ammonia at back of fridge, yellow deposits or residue in service panel, was it working well prior to the failure, any other events that could affect it, like a strong rain storm, power issues?

Mine was working great right up to the failure. I also was switching on and off the genie and so the fridge was switching back and forth between electric and LP

He said the recall kit is known for false positives and failures itself.

Also, the magnet reset trick worked for me when I put the magnet on the top of the box above the LED and held it there for a few secs.

I don't think I want to give detailed instructions to bypass the recall unit. You need to spend some time making sure it isn't working correctly before you bypass. I don't want people to blindly follow well written instructions and while not appreciating the risk.

Tags
norcold