Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Norcold recall # 2 TSB

Instructions for dealers to put in the second Norcold recall.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I think the first recall of a thermal disc at the boiler did not satisfy the government (NHTSA)
requirements to shut the system's LP gas down in the event of a hydrogen leak and fire. It appears also that the NHTSA also wants all 1200 models included in upgrading the safety of the cooling units. We are doing the recalls left and right. Eventually, the almost 12.4 million will get done.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";823759]Instructions for dealers to put in the [B][URL="http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2010/E/RCDNN-10E049-4150.pdf
second Norcold recall[/URL][/B].
Thank you for posting those. They came in my recall kit but the genius who put mine in was so good at his job that he didn't have to read them. GOOD THING I WAS THERE AND READING THEM JUST AS HE WAS PLACING THE WIRES IN BACKWARDS. Now if you could only figure out a way to have them read it , we'd all be fine.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thats the reason I posted the link Cliff we have had people lately having their fully functional fridge crash after they had the second recall done.
If anyone is going for their recall I would print the TSB out and check the repair centers work before putting your fridge back on.
May save you a return trip or the need for more work because of Tech mistake.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Thats the reason I posted the link Cliff we have had people lately having their fully functional fridge crash after they had the second recall done.
If anyone is going for their recall I would print the TSB out and check the repair centers work before putting your fridge back on.
May save you a return trip or the need for more work because of Tech mistake.
I totally agree 007. By the way I like to be prepared ( my old boy scout days taught me that ), and would like to know the step by step procedure on how to bypass the recall if my red light goes on in error as has happened to so many recently. Could you or anyone else walk me through this?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cliff, I guess we would have to go back to the first recall TSB to see the original 12V connections of the refrigerator.
Not sure you had first recall done but you will see what they did on first and would just back track for original hook up.
This PDF will take you dependant on your 1200 model number, on how your refrigerator was originally wired for your 12V's without recalls.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";824146]Cliff, I guess we would have to go back to the [B][URL="http://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env77NEWMAR/html/images/TSB364.pdf
first recall TSB[/URL][/B] to see the original 12V connections of the refrigerator.
Not sure you had first recall done but you will see what they did on first and would just back track for original hook up.
This PDF will take you dependant on your 1200 model number, on how your refrigerator was originally wired for your 12V's without recalls.
My 2008 was subject to only one recall. I was looking for an easy way to bypass the current recall if the need arose while traveling with a full fridge. This stuff confuses me. Thanks anyway 007 or should I call you Mr. Bond

Old 04-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cliff, what they are interupting is the 12V feed to the fridge you would just find your 12V feed and wire direct to fridge control board checking for positive and ground connections of course.
Lift off their wiring into control board and you have your fridge minus their recall fix's.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too was only in the last recall. I just went out to turn the refer on as we're leaving on a trip next week and it promptly went into error mode and the red light is on on the little black box. I called Norcold and they rudely said take it to your service center and have them call for another "new" fix. Dang it!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I too was only in the last recall. I just went out to turn the refer on as we're leaving on a trip next week and it promptly went into error mode and the red light is on on the little black box. I called Norcold and they rudely said take it to your service center and have them call for another "new" fix. Dang it!
I know how you feel Jim after I had the first one done felt same way now I'd say we will now be going in a third because some people have had fires with the second recall.
I still have my first and check the fridge every time I turn it on for yellow dust or fluid and just run the thing.
Have never had a cooling problem in 7 years but Norcold has sure messed up the works with their band-aid fix's.
When the time comes will change out to Amish unit because the fridge will work even better than it has pass 7 years.
When Norcold tech at Newmar pulled the fridge, because thats what they did to do first recall, to inspect all piping and the critical area near the holder for heating elements that has welding problems on some of Norcolds cooling units.
They reinforce the area with steel band around piping on 2nd recall.
All my piping checked out A+, 2nd recall does not have the inspection of all the pipe because they do not pull out fridge, so be it.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Ours was only on the last recall, too. Had it done (Oct 2010) & then promptly put it to bed for the winter. Now I've got another thing to check before our season starts. Great.....just great.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You both have newer coachs should not have a problem on original power hookup on your fridge.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
You both have newer coachs should not have a problem on original power hookup on your fridge.
007, newer doesn't mean squat for Norcold. They are recalling units shipped last fall.

I had the recall done in Nov, used the mh about a week in December and almost three weeks in January. Refer worked fine. I keep the mh at home on shore power with the refer off. I decided today to try it...immediately went into error mode with the blasted red light glowing.

I just wish I could find a work around for a couple weeks.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'd like to think so, Roger, but Jim's situation doesn't give me hope.

Our coach isn't even where I can get at it to check. It's on the other end of the state getting A/V upgrades & air horns installed. Maybe I'll call & have them fire up the fridge just to see what happens.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote