Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2015, 07:35 AM   #1

Norcold Refigerator Ice Maker Not Working

I have a 2006 National Dolphin gas model with a 4 door Norcold frig. I am the second owner of this unit and the previous owner hardly used it. My refrigerator has been working fine, but I have not been able to get the ice maker to work since I bought the RV in June. I have checked the outside panel and the ice maker is plugged in and I have power to both outlets for the frig and ice maker. Does anybody have any ideas as to what I can do to get the ice maker working? Thanks for any help and input.
Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #2

Define not working. Off hand I would suspect the water is shut off or the valve to it is faulty. It could be a lot of other things.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
After verifying that the power to the unit is good and water turned on I would suspect that the ice maker itself or the electric fill valve located in the back of the unit is the issue. If you decide to replace it do not order one from Norcold. Remove the ice maker (just 2 screws and one plug) and take it to Home Depot where you can get the same one for about $50 and it comes with the valve and plug harness. I can not find the model number but am fairly sure that the one in the Norcold is the same one used in Whirlpool refrigerators. I have done this in two motorhome referigerators over the years, one Norcold and one Dometic. Both used the same ice maker.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Norcold ice maker not working

Power is good, bail arm goes up and down, water from under sink is at solenoid, but no water at ice maker.

Is solenoid available by itself?

Where is best source?
Old 11-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I am sure the solenoid/valve is available at any local appliance parts dealer or on line, however I have found that after a few years the coating in the tray itself begins to deteriorate and separate which results in particles in the ice and makes the cubes break as they are ejected from the maker. I believe replacing the entire unit would be the best bet for the money.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #6

The water valve can be tested easily by making up a couple wire jumpers to connect to the 12V and ground that are already back there with the water solenoid. If it works, then that points to whatever controls that solenoid. Which would be the icemaker itself.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
epj

Had one like that that worked intermittently. Replaced the whole unit. Now have more ice than I can use.
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The water valve can be tested easily by making up a couple wire jumpers to connect to the 12V and ground that are already back there with the water solenoid.
Uh, the water control solenoid operates on 120vac, not 12v. As does every other part of the ice maker. It is strictly a 120v device.

Amazon.com: Norcold 618253 Ice Maker Water Valve: Automotive

This service bulletin explains a lot about the water solenoid and is useful even if you do not have the problem is addresses:
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/icemaker.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Uh, the water control solenoid operates on 120vac, not 12v. As does every other part of the ice maker. It is strictly a 120v device.

Amazon.com: Norcold 618253 Ice Maker Water Valve: Automotive

This service bulletin explains a lot about the water solenoid and is useful even if you do not have the problem is addresses:
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/icemaker.pdf
Opps. Screwed up on that one. But, careful workmanship with jumpers can test 120V solenoids as well.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:34 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The "ice maker" and the water solenoid are two different items and do not come as a "set"... Solenoid is +/- $35. and Ice Maker is +/- $100.@ Amazon.
The comment by MDPD is something to watch. Ours started shedding junk into the ice @ 10 years...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:18 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
The "ice maker" and the water solenoid are two different items and do not come as a "set"... Solenoid is +/- $35. and Ice Maker is +/- $100.@ Amazon.
The comment by MDPD is something to watch. Ours started shedding junk into the ice @ 10 years...
Lowe's sells ice maker kits that include an ice bin and the solenoid. Those extra parts are included because the kits are meant to be installed in a refrigerator that didn't originally come with an ice maker. Kits designed for Whirlpool refrigerators have the best shot of fitting a Norcold - except for the ice bin.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Amazon has them. Just replaced one for $30.00
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold