RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Thank you, head hurts, time for a Scotch
The "somewhat" simple way to do this is to purchase a 1000w Pure Sine Wave inverter and wire it to separate outlet next to the one for the reefer. Leave the genset and shore power attached to the original outlet. When you travel, open the hatch, move the reefer plug to the inverter outlet and you are good to go. Or, you can just dedicate the inverter to the reefer and run the inverter all the time.

However, at some point you will probably decide you want to run the microwave off the inverter and then .... $$$ (bigger inverter).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Thank you, head hurts, time for a Scotch
I like the way you think!
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
The "somewhat" simple way to do this is to purchase a 1000w Pure Sine Wave inverter and wire it to separate outlet next to the one for the reefer. Leave the genset and shore power attached to the original outlet. When you travel, open the hatch, move the reefer plug to the inverter outlet and you are good to go. Or, you can just dedicate the inverter to the reefer and run the inverter all the time.

However, at some point you will probably decide you want to run the microwave off the inverter and then .... $$$ (bigger inverter).
I have been reviewing 1000 to 2000 watt PSW inverters and the reviews have alot of bad "just plain no good" comments. Well I get to do my pre-purchase walk thru tomorrow, final sale Thursday if all goes well. Hope I get a surprise and find it has an inverter.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #18

Quote:
I have been reviewing 1000 to 2000 watt PSW inverters and the reviews have alot of bad "just plain no good" comments. Well I get to do my pre-purchase walk thru tomorrow, final sale Thursday if all goes well. Hope I get a surprise and find it has an inverter.
Good luck!

Otherwise, the Xantrex is good but pricey. With inverters, you kind of get what you pay for.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Good luck!

Otherwise, the Xantrex is good but pricey. With inverters, you kind of get what you pay for.

They all seem to get some bad reviews. Hard to decide if they are overly "geeked", just mis-used, or indeed faulty .
Old 11-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #20

My Magnum PSW has been flawless for the 4 1/2 yrs. we've been fulltiming.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Went to review the coach today prior to final close Thursday. It appears to not have an inverter, sales guy was no help. I checked the Norcold for the latest recall and found it was current. When I pulled the vent the area was absolutely spotless, no evidence of heat on the tubes etc.. This 2008 Bounder only has 5300 miles, the stove, convection microwave, washer all look brand new, it's a mystery machine.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Went to review the coach today prior to final close Thursday. It appears to not have an inverter, sales guy was no help. I checked the Norcold for the latest recall and found it was current. When I pulled the vent the area was absolutely spotless, no evidence of heat on the tubes etc.. This 2008 Bounder only has 5300 miles, the stove, convection microwave, washer all look brand new, it's a mystery machine.
When you looked in the rear fridge vent cover, were the tubes and condenser tank black or white? The reason I ask is if they are white, chances are it has already been replaced with an Amish unit. The Amish unit looks like below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmishRear.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	79359  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lt Dan

Don't know about the colors, check it out Thursday when I pick it up. I would be amazed if it was the Amish unit, this thing is hardly used.

edit

Just remembered it has the latest Norcold fix, temperature cut-out switch and yellow tag.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Boy ... that's the truth!

As for a residential reefer and an inverter, it's mostly a matter of how you travel. My residential stays food-safe cold (if the doors are kept closed except for very brief use) for about 3 hours in 85 degree weather ... a bit less if over 90 degrees. I typically start the genset when stopped for lunch/snack and bring the reefer down a few degrees. I haven't actually used the inverter except for it's annual test in 3 years. But ... I don't boondock/Wallydock. So ... to restate, for an actual one day trip (site to site) of about 5 hours travel, I might need to run the genset once or twice for about 15 minutes each time. If it's really hot outside I am typically driving with the genset running (anyway) to power one rooftop A/C.
I agree that we all travel differently. When we travel, we travel. We don't live from campground to campground. It can be several days until we're actually someplace with power for us to use. So the inverter provides the power for the fridge. The alternator charges the batteries when driving and the generator charges the batteries when parked.

Someday I hope to install some solar, and that will mostly take care of the battery charging.

Life is good.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I agree that we all travel differently. When we travel, we travel. We don't live from campground to campground. It can be several days until we're actually someplace with power for us to use. So the inverter provides the power for the fridge. The alternator charges the batteries when driving and the generator charges the batteries when parked.

Someday I hope to install some solar, and that will mostly take care of the battery charging.

Life is good.

Jim
There ya' go ... in your example an inverter is important.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
When you looked in the rear fridge vent cover, were the tubes and condenser tank black or white? The reason I ask is if they are white, chances are it has already been replaced with an Amish unit. The Amish unit looks like below.

Brought it home today to load it out with all the stuff we feel is necessary. The refer items you mentioned are black so it is apparently OEM Norcold.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:27 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Turned the Norcold on yesterday about 10:30am and it took about 12 hours to get down to mid 40's, this morning it is 35. It did start making ice after about 6 hours. I tried it on AC and LP, my impression is it does better on AC. Noticed also that I could hear the burner on LP as I would walk past that side of the coach, may need adjusted, my 1996 Dometic in the previous coach made no burner noise. I ordered one of those "blue" battery fans for the refer area, let my other one go with the coach I sold . I am also considering adding a computer fan that runs continually in the stack or wiring the existing ones to run continually. Adding a fan in my Dometic stack allowed me to run on 3 versus 5 in the Florida Summer.

Ran into a roadblock on my replacement plan. The doorway, advertised as 30" is actually barely 24 1/4 at the inner frame. But it is actually less than that because the door cannot swing out 180 degrees due to the canopy strut. Need more investigation, removing the entire door frame would be a real chore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	79688  
Old 11-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #28

Quote:

Ran into a roadblock on my replacement plan. The doorway, advertised as 30" is actually barely 24 1/4 at the inner frame. But it is actually less than that because the door cannot swing out 180 degrees due to the canopy strut. Need more investigation, removing the entire door frame would be a real chore.

When I replaced our reefer I needed to remove the door and frame. It actually only took about 15 minutes. This did give me enough room ... about 26 1/2" if I remember correctly. You can determine the actual cutout size if you take off the inside trim.

BTW, when I was in HomeDepot yesterday, they had a counterdepth (apartment size) reefer that was about 10 cf on sale for about $400. Didn't measure but it looked the same as the one I have installed.

I think it was this one ... can't remember if it was SS or black but they had 3 in boxes:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Che...3?N=5yc1vZc3p6

Tags
norcold, replace, replacement