RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Ramets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 2,540
Before putting in a residential fridge, I had wired up a 12V fan that clipped onto the fins inside our Dometic. Easy install as you wire it up to the inside light. It added another year to it's life before I just gave up and bought our Whirlpool.
__________________
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Port Charlotte Florida
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Before putting in a residential fridge, I had wired up a 12V fan that clipped onto the fins inside our Dometic. Easy install as you wire it up to the inside light. It added another year to it's life before I just gave up and bought our Whirlpool.
The refigerator got down to 38 this morning and I think it was controling at that point, set at 9 (coldest level). I installed a constant run computer fan before I took it back to storage, I think it will bring the temp down quicker.
__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Port Charlotte Florida
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
When I replaced our reefer I needed to remove the door and frame. It actually only took about 15 minutes. This did give me enough room ... about 26 1/2" if I remember correctly. You can determine the actual cutout size if you take off the inside trim.

BTW, when I was in HomeDepot yesterday, they had a counterdepth (apartment size) reefer that was about 10 cf on sale for about $400. Didn't measure but it looked the same as the one I have installed.

I think it was this one ... can't remember if it was SS or black but they had 3 in boxes:
Magic Chef 23.8 in. Wide 9.2 cu. ft. Bottom Freezer Refrigerator in Stainless-MCBM920S1 at The Home Depot
I did not get to spend alot of time on it but it appears the door frame is riveted to structural uprights and the main door is definetly riveted to the door frame. If this is all correct next step will be to remove the screen and measure again. The door frame is 24 3/8 and the door does not swing far enough to allow that 24 3/8 to be accessible the screen is the pinch point now and it looks like the door itself may be also. Thanks for the link DW vetoed it however, she wants a French door style. There are some that will fit thru the 24 3/8 (barely) if I can get down to that measurement.
__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I did not get to spend alot of time on it but it appears the door frame is riveted to structural uprights and the main door is definetly riveted to the door frame. If this is all correct next step will be to remove the screen and measure again. The door frame is 24 3/8 and the door does not swing far enough to allow that 24 3/8 to be accessible the screen is the pinch point now and it looks like the door itself may be also. Thanks for the link DW vetoed it however, she wants a French door style. There are some that will fit thru the 24 3/8 (barely) if I can get down to that measurement.
What reefer do you currently have?

Once-upon-a-time my door frame was riveted ... now it's screws. Sooner or later you need to get the full access ... or keep pulling a window out.
Reefer ... sofa ... recliners ...
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Port Charlotte Florida
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
What reefer do you currently have?

O.
4 door with ice-maker 120* book is in the coach'
__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Port Charlotte Florida
Posts: 2,713
Whew!! finally a break, DW is a Christmas freak, kept me hopping for last few days.

I want to see how the Norcold performs with the computer fan I installed for constant run at the BOTTOM of the coils blowing up. The system fans are above the coils and pull air in thru the bottom vent door. IMHO air is like water it takes the path of least resistance, again in my opinion, the air is not moving over the coils.

Unless something else shows up I will be going with a Whirlpool refer, 10.7 cu. ft.. It is only 24 inches wide, and 21.5 inches deep with the doors removed. This goes in and out of my coach door with no problem, and the price is $459 in black, and $569 in SS, Ice-maker is also available. 10.7 sounds small but the Norcold is only 12, using a narrow unit like this will allow me to recapture a pantry area lost to the Norcold upgrade. In addition we have the previous model of this unit on our outside Lanai, it has operated flawlessly for 6 years in temps from 30 to 95F.
__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Whew!! finally a break, DW is a Christmas freak, kept me hopping for last few days.

I want to see how the Norcold performs with the computer fan I installed for constant run at the BOTTOM of the coils blowing up. The system fans are above the coils and pull air in thru the bottom vent door. IMHO air is like water it takes the path of least resistance, again in my opinion, the air is not moving over the coils.

Unless something else shows up I will be going with a Whirlpool refer, 10.7 cu. ft.. It is only 24 inches wide, and 21.5 inches deep with the doors removed. This goes in and out of my coach door with no problem, and the price is $459 in black, and $569 in SS, Ice-maker is also available. 10.7 sounds small but the Norcold is only 12, using a narrow unit like this will allow me to recapture a pantry area lost to the Norcold upgrade. In addition we have the previous model of this unit on our outside Lanai, it has operated flawlessly for 6 years in temps from 30 to 95F.
Nothing wrong with 10cf .... bigger than refrigerators that were commonly used by families for years. Encourages buying fresh food !!
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Port Charlotte Florida
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Nothing wrong with 10cf .... bigger than refrigerators that were commonly used by families for years. Encourages buying fresh food !!
You bet, my folks had an early 50's Coldspot that five of us ate out of for many years, was probably 6/7 cu ft..
__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
You bet, my folks had an early 50's Coldspot that five of us ate out of for many years, was probably 6/7 cu ft..
I'm shocked !! ... and no one starved to death
However, the thing I really like about new reefers is the improved insulation allows far more interior room with the same exterior dimensions.

The bad news is, if you get a bigger reefer (say 22 cf), and fill it up, it's really heavy
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #38
Senior Member


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 248
My 10.7 Whirlpool replaced the NOCOLD 2years ago. With the doors removed, I still had to remove the coach door, to gain clearance. The measurement didn't include the rear tubes. I removed the door while the delivery guys installed the ice maker. If you go with this refrigerator, I highly recommend that you add a new floor piece, to support the lower door hinge foot. Otherwise there is no support for the door, since you can't push the refer all the way in. By the way, it has been running fine on a Magnum msw inverter, with 4 AGM batteries.
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
My 10.7 Whirlpool replaced the NOCOLD 2years ago. With the doors removed, I still had to remove the coach door, to gain clearance. The measurement didn't include the rear tubes. I removed the door while the delivery guys installed the ice maker. If you go with this refrigerator, I highly recommend that you add a new floor piece, to support the lower door hinge foot. Otherwise there is no support for the door, since you can't push the refer all the way in. By the way, it has been running fine on a Magnum msw inverter, with 4 AGM batteries.
It's always nice to see one in person. Then you don't get the dreaded " Huh ... that door won't open far enough to get the crisper out !"
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Port Charlotte Florida
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
My 10.7 Whirlpool replaced the NOCOLD 2years ago. With the doors removed, I still had to remove the coach door, to gain clearance. The measurement didn't include the rear tubes. I removed the door while the delivery guys installed the ice maker. If you go with this refrigerator, I highly recommend that you add a new floor piece, to support the lower door hinge foot. Otherwise there is no support for the door, since you can't push the refer all the way in. By the way, it has been running fine on a Magnum msw inverter, with 4 AGM batteries.
DW and I are going to look at a new one tomorrow and check measurements. I just went out and checked the measurements on the one I bought 6 years ago. It measures 24 wide and 23 deep with the rear grill in place and the doors off, 22 deep with the top grill stand off brackets and doors removed. should fall right in (famous last words). I'm hoping to set it right on the floor, the Norcold is on a 2 inch riser but I don't think anything is in there as the unit is in the back end of a slide. Water line comes in from underneath.
__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:25 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
DW and I are going to look at a new one tomorrow and check measurements. I just went out and checked the measurements on the one I bought 6 years ago. It measures 24 wide and 23 deep with the rear grill in place and the doors off, 22 deep with the top grill stand off brackets and doors removed. should fall right in (famous last words). I'm hoping to set it right on the floor, the Norcold is on a 2 inch riser but I don't think anything is in there as the unit is in the back end of a slide. Water line comes in from underneath.
Sounds good !! ... let us know the model number in case we want one. And total height please.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Port Charlotte Florida
Posts: 2,713
Well, phooey!
Went to HD, Bill Smith, and Lowes.

Nobody in this area Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda stocks it, special order only. I feel comfortable it will come in the door, need to start researching getting the Norcold out.
__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
norcold, replace, replacement



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Norcold Fridge replacement rebrobin Class A Motorhome Discussions 28 10-07-2014 09:33 AM
Norcold hinge replacement part. Horizonchase RV Systems & Appliances 10 08-06-2014 06:22 PM
Norcold 10cu ft Residential Replacement az99 RV Systems & Appliances 11 01-23-2014 11:52 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.