Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #1

Norcold sweet smelling

My Norcold 1211IMT has a sweet smell that I can't get rid of. It's not ammonia but more of a sweet chemical odor. I'm thinking there's something rotted somewhere but I've cleaned it inside, cleaned the catch tray and drain hose but the odor persists. I'm thinking I'm missing a drain somewhere. Baking soda has helped but the stink still quite strong.
ricktig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #2

Freezer compartments or refrigerator? I suggest you pour a bit of Hydrogen Peroxide along any joints in the liners, and allow to disappate on its own.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:28 PM   #3

As asked....freezer or food compartment?

1200 only has one drain...food compartment drip tray under Fins that drains into drip cup by burner area

And as suggested.......
Seams in either compartment can have 'liquids' from food stuff.
Hydrogen peroxide lightly poured around seams can disinfect
**Should bubble/foam ...then wipe with damp cloth and rinse clean
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestion. The odor is only in the refrigerator section. It has some chemical odor to it making me wonder if there's some sort of leak in the cooling system.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktig View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. The odor is only in the refrigerator section. It has some chemical odor to it making me wonder if there's some sort of leak in the cooling system.
Leak in cooling unit is Immediate....not slowly over time

Cooling Unit is under 300+ psi

Leak...fridge would stop cooling down
Freezer & food compartments temps would increase and not come back down

Inspect the backside of fridge via outside access panel
Old 11-20-2021, 08:15 AM   #6

Coolant is ammonia. It definitely does not smell sweet.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #7

I've seen threads and other forums about a sweet smell in Norcold RV refrigerators. Some suggested checking the condensation drain line, to make sure nothing crawled up in there and died. I wonder if it might be the foam insulation they used? Decades ago I bought a Fender guitar case, and whatever they used on the inside of it had a sort of sweet/sickly smell that exists to this day. I think it's in the foam they used. Or maybe someone added some spray foam insulation around the sides of the fridge, and it's odor could be coming in through the condensation drain line? Or maybe they used some silicone caulk on the inside that's stinking it up? See if you can smell anything through the outside access opening.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:33 PM   #8

Pink antifreeze soaked in . Once I forgot butter in TT fridge , it smelled like bad motor oil , lasted for a year. Had others stuff go bad, easily cleaned bleached away the smell not that butter stank.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #9

The odor is not ammonia as it's been this way off and on for a couple years. It started after the previous cooling unit failed and was replaced. The smell is somewhat like melting crayons with a bit more chemical odor. I'm wondering if some of the plastic insulation was dislodged in the replacement and is melting a little. I'll see if I can find the electric heating element and check for anomalies.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:31 PM   #10

Norcold 1211 uses TWO electric elements --- 225W each
They are inserted into metal tubes (holders) that are welded to the 'perk tube' (boiler section) and encased in insulation covered by sheet metal shield

The areas where HEAT would be present:
Burner area, flue/stack, elements and at top of Flue Stack where flue gases come out....and could impact side wall if RV MFG failed to properly shield/insulate
Old or New cooling unit they would not be in contact with anything that would melt...except for the insulation on the leads to the elements
Old 12-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #11

How would the odor get into the refrigerated compartment? The freezer compartment doesn't have any odor. No odor is detected at the exterior of the unit. It does seem like something is melting but this has been going on for a couple years. One would think whatever was melting would have burned away by now. Definitely a puzzling issue.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:58 AM   #12

Check the arear between freezer and food compartment

Divider Heater
The divider heater is permanently "foamed" between the divider separating the freezer and fresh food compartment.
The controls constantly monitor power board voltage output to the heater through built in diagnostics
Turning the refrigerator on automatically send power to the heater

Possibly the flapper heater in left door seal....pins/wiring on door and fridge frame etc
See pg 50 in Service Manual Link
http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.co...ice-Manual.pdf

Tags
norcold, smell