RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Member
 
Cdn-Tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 95
Norcold thermal sensor failure

Just wondered if anyone else has had a problem with a failure of the thermal sensor recall part. Our fridge (which is new) was recalled and had the thermal sensor added. First time lighting it it failed (or so they suspect). The LED is flashing which indicates an over temp but it's never run since the recall so they suspect the thermal sensor itself is faulty. They take 10 to 14 days to get a replacment so wondering if a person should carry a spare.
__________________
Gordon

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 38T Pusher
Cdn-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
JCM
Senior Member
 
JCM's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Williams Lake,BC Canada
Posts: 1,193
I have heard of other having the same problem. There is a wire that you can jump to bypass this problem. I can't tell you witch one yet as I am waiting for my saftey "upgrade".
__________________
2020 Triple E Wonder RTB
JCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 316
Check the switch to see if it has a "Red" reset button on it. My previous MH had the recall done and it failed but had a reset button that I depressed with a pen and all was well.
Oldkarphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
paz
Senior Member
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Full-timers - Home is where we park it.
Posts: 4,717
The latest switch does not have a reset button, and yes, the switch can fail. Ours did. See also Post #89 by Nonno in the thread "My Norcold Is Toast."

Be careful bypassing the switch because if it did activate because of overheating, bypassing the switch could result in a fire.

My understanding is Norcold will not supply the switches directly to individuals because they want the cooling unit to be checked out before the switch is replaced. If there is evidence of overheating or leaks, they will not replace the switch.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
Member
 
Cdn-Tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
The latest switch does not have a reset button, and yes, the switch can fail. Ours did. See also Post #89 by Nonno in the thread "My Norcold Is Toast."

Be careful bypassing the switch because if it did activate because of overheating, bypassing the switch could result in a fire.

My understanding is Norcold will not supply the switches directly to individuals because they want the cooling unit to be checked out before the switch is replaced. If there is evidence of overheating or leaks, they will not replace the switch.
This fridge is brand new and never been used. It replaced the last one which caught fire (not covered by Norcold) and before it was used, got its recall. They did the recall and when I got it back wouldn’t light because the thermal switch shut the 12 volts off to the igniter. So…nothing wrong with the cooling unit.

Norcold has a fridge design that doesn’t work and a recall fix with the same problem. BTW…the replacement Norcold was 5-grand and it won’t even cool. Suggestion...don't buy American made crap!
__________________
Gordon

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 38T Pusher
Cdn-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
paz
Senior Member
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Full-timers - Home is where we park it.
Posts: 4,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn-Tx View Post
Just wondered if anyone else has had a problem with a failure of the thermal sensor recall part. Our fridge (which is new) was recalled and had the thermal sensor added. First time lighting it it failed (or so they suspect). The LED is flashing which indicates an over temp but it's never run since the recall so they suspect the thermal sensor itself is faulty. They take 10 to 14 days to get a replacment so wondering if a person should carry a spare.
When our thermal sensor tripped we got a steady red light, not flashing. The flashing light may indicate another problem such as a bad ground or that the thermocouple isn't connected properly. Is there an error message on the refrigerator display, or is the display dark? The safety switch shuts down power to the board, not the igniter, so the display should be dark if the switch has tripped.

When you say, "...they suspect the thermal sensor itself is faulty," I assume by "they" you mean the techs who did the installation. If that's the case, they should have known how to bypass the switch. Although I don't recommend that for safety reasons, it should not be a problem on a new unit, especially if you only do it temporarily as a test.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Member
 
Cdn-Tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
When our thermal sensor tripped we got a steady red light, not flashing. The flashing light may indicate another problem such as a bad ground or that the thermocouple isn't connected properly. Is there an error message on the refrigerator display, or is the display dark? The safety switch shuts down power to the board, not the igniter, so the display should be dark if the switch has tripped.

When you say, "...they suspect the thermal sensor itself is faulty," I assume by "they" you mean the techs who did the installation. If that's the case, they should have known how to bypass the switch. Although I don't recommend that for safety reasons, it should not be a problem on a new unit, especially if you only do it temporarily as a test.
When the fridge is on, the LED flashes....when the fridge is off its a steady light.
Display flashes LI oP after its 30 seconds to try to light. Propane is full and cook top burners light. Tried lighting at least 50 times. Norcold said the new fridge was not on their list and think maybe the thermal switch revision number is incorrect. This statement was odd because they originally confirmed the fridge serial number, supplied me a order reference number to give the dealer to order the parts. Additional proof that Norcold is inept and doesn’t really know what they’re doing.
As I understand things, Norcold plans on running away from the recall issue once they have completed all units and after that any component failures will be at the owners cost. And they won’t sell parts to anyone other than their dealers so the repairs will be expensive.
__________________
Gordon

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 38T Pusher
Cdn-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
gripper's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lutz, FL
Posts: 772
At this moment, I am sitting at Lazy Days, RV, awaiting a fix on my Norcold. I just received a call from a tech, who stated that the thermal switch is bad and will have to be replaced. OK, I'm going to give the refrigerator one more chance. If it fails again (this is my 4th. repair), I'm replacing it for sure. The main reason is that I just hate to spend arround $2,000+- for another refrigerator, until I have to.
__________________
Roland & Jerri, with Maggie & Mollie, our Pups; '05 Fleetwood Providence, 39' DP; '08 Saturn. "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits" (Einstein)
gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14
 
Wayne M's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,160
Gordon,
When I had mine done at the dealers, before I left the lot I fired the generator and turned on the refrigerator. The door indicator said "LI oP." Having read so many interesting items on the recall I suspected what I had read was true that the technicians had reversed the Limit In, Limit Out lines. I went back inside and had a technician come out and I told him about it. He had not heard of that but stated it was no big deal and reach onto the black box and unplugged those two wires and reversed them. The "LI oP" went away and the refrigerator has been working when we took the coach on a trip. I'm not saying that is what the problem is but it is worth having a tech check out. Let me ask, "Did you check it on the lot before you drove away?" In my case they apparently made the modifications and then never fired up the refrigerator to check to see if it worked. Dumb and dumber did the install.
__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse) RVM14
Lexi - Goldendoodle
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
paz
Senior Member
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Full-timers - Home is where we park it.
Posts: 4,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn-Tx View Post
When the fridge is on, the LED flashes....when the fridge is off its a steady light.
Display flashes LI oP after its 30 seconds to try to light. Propane is full and cook top burners light. Tried lighting at least 50 times. Norcold said the new fridge was not on their list and think maybe the thermal switch revision number is incorrect. This statement was odd because they originally confirmed the fridge serial number, supplied me a order reference number to give the dealer to order the parts. Additional proof that Norcold is inept and doesn’t really know what they’re doing.
As I understand things, Norcold plans on running away from the recall issue once they have completed all units and after that any component failures will be at the owners cost. And they won’t sell parts to anyone other than their dealers so the repairs will be expensive.
If you can get the display to light up, the safety switch has not tripped - at least not if you have a 1200XX Norcold. The 1210 series may be different. As I said in my previous post, if the switch trips, it cuts power to the circuit board, and you will not be able to get any lights on the display.

The copy of the Norcold repair manual I have does not list a fault code Ll oP, but that's probably because it was written before the recall. Wayne M's post makes a lot of sense - the code means the leads are swapped, and the tech never tested the fridge when he finished the job.

The switch should have 4 wires attached to it. There are 2 wires on the left - red on top and green on the bottom. There is a brown wire (actually a fine red wire and a fine white wire in a brown sheath) in the center, and a blue wire on the right. Check to see if they're plugged into the switch correctly. Turn the refrigerator off before unplugging or changing any of the wires.

If the wires are plugged into the switch correctly, then the other end of those wires may be swapped. The brown wire is the thermocouple attached to the heat stack. The green wire is the ground. Mine is attached by a screw to the back of the refrigerator with several other green wires. The blue wire should be plugged into the circuit board, and the red wire should be plugged into a 12V lead, which is probably black. I'm betting Wayne M is right, and the red wire and the blue wire are swapped. Again, turn off the fridge before unplugging any wires.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
Community Administrator
 
CLIFFTALL's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 42,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
At this moment, I am sitting at Lazy Days, RV, awaiting a fix on my Norcold. I just received a call from a tech, who stated that the thermal switch is bad and will have to be replaced. OK, I'm going to give the refrigerator one more chance. If it fails again (this is my 4th. repair), I'm replacing it for sure. The main reason is that I just hate to spend arround $2,000+- for another refrigerator, until I have to.
Gripper, Please explain 4 repairs . Were they all thermal switch related?

Wayne and Paz, the same happened to me , My tech ( I use that phrase lightly , as he had only done 2 before me ) switched the 12v in and out wires and I got the LI OP and my manual says must be looked ay by a tech. My " tech " went back to the shop to get another switch and by the time he came back ,I pointed to the instructions ( which he never read ) and showed him his error. It then fired up.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Elkhartjim's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Don't mess with Texas
Posts: 3,118
I'm going to do two things because there is so much conflicting information on the Norcold problems.

1. I'm going to quit reading this "stuff" on Norcold because as I see it there are so many experts with so much varying information that the longer this goes the more confused everyone gets. Remember, intially if the red light ever came on the unit was toast and had to be replaced...bunk. Then there were boxes with resets and then it was only the thermocouple failed and then it was only the yellow tag and on and on and on.

2. Just as soon as I return from our trip I'm going to order the residential refer and hopefully never park near a RV with a Norcold installed.
__________________
Jim with Judy
2017 Newmar Ventana 4369, 2005 Jeep Wrangler (Rock Crawler), 2016 Jeep Wrangler (Mall Crawler)
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #13
Community Administrator
 
CLIFFTALL's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 42,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I'm going to do two things because there is so much conflicting information on the Norcold problems.

1. I'm going to quit reading this "stuff" on Norcold because as I see it there are so many experts with so much varying information that the longer this goes the more confused everyone gets. Remember, intially if the red light ever came on the unit was toast and had to be replaced...bunk. Then there were boxes with resets and then it was only the thermocouple failed and then it was only the yellow tag and on and on and on.

2. Just as soon as I return from our trip I'm going to order the residential refer and hopefully never park near a RV with a Norcold installed.
Had we only known how easy it was to get rid of Jim , I'll bet we could've all chipped in a dollar a piece for his new res. refer
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
gripper's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lutz, FL
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
Gripper, Please explain 4 repairs . Were they all thermal switch related?
Sorry to respond so late, but Just after I wrote the response above, I was called by the tech, that my RV was finished and I could pick it up. I asked if he checked it out on electric and propane and he said that he had. I double-checked, after I picked up my keys and found that it was working ok. After I got home, I plugged it into my shore power and it continues to work ok.

The four times that I was speaking of relates to repair of the refirgerator. (1). Both doors fell off. (2) It quit working. Wouldn't cool on propane or electric. Needed a new "brain", I was told. (3) I had the second recall done. (4). It quit while I was on a trip, 4/4/11 - the red light on the switch came on. This time, it was a faulty Thermocouple Switch.
__________________
Roland & Jerri, with Maggie & Mollie, our Pups; '05 Fleetwood Providence, 39' DP; '08 Saturn. "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits" (Einstein)
gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Out goes the Norcold in with the Maytag Brigadoon RV Systems & Appliances 100 05-21-2019 08:32 PM
Norcold or Dometic Basement Freezer/Fridge djpotts50 RV Systems & Appliances 3 02-05-2012 03:29 PM
Norcold, a different slant Elkhartjim RV Systems & Appliances 33 11-08-2010 05:27 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.