Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #1

Nuther AC issue question please...

I bought 2013 Cedar Creek Silverback 38 foot Fiver a year and a half ago. So far it's been ok, however this'll be my last Forest River product.

My only AC unit (adding 2nd unit in two weeks) has been working better since several of you helped me with thermostat issue of setting the fan to automatic before turning the AC on...thank you all!

Now my question is that the AC unit constantly cycles on and off. It'll run for a few minutes or even just 30 second ...then it will turn off completely, then the fan will come on, then the compressor will kick in, then it'll do something else. During this time I have the AC thermostat set to 72 degrees and the actual temperature inside will be 75 ish.

I'm positive that the unit has never been serviced/cleaned or whatever so I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas as to what's going on???

If you have any idea it would be appreciated. Thank you

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 02:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
I bought 2013 Cedar Creek Silverback 38 foot Fiver a year and a half ago. So far it's been ok, however this'll be my last Forest River product.

My only AC unit (adding 2nd unit in two weeks) has been working better since several of you helped me with thermostat issue of setting the fan to automatic before turning the AC on...thank you all!

Now my question is that the AC unit constantly cycles on and off. It'll run for a few minutes or even just 30 second ...then it will turn off completely, then the fan will come on, then the compressor will kick in, then it'll do something else. During this time I have the AC thermostat set to 72 degrees and the actual temperature inside will be 75 ish.

I'm positive that the unit has never been serviced/cleaned or whatever so I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas as to what's going on???

If you have any idea it would be appreciated. Thank you

Manufacturer of A/C ??

Try taping a piece of paper over the sensor for the thermostat (sensor could be remote or in thermostat). Sometimes a draft will create a false reading ... the sensor thinks it's cooler than it really is. If that's the problem try to find the source of draft.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #3

Try sealing off the hole behind it where the wire pass thru the wall....tape would work
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #4

Turn the thermostat down to 68*F or lower ....increase the difference between set point and room temp to see if A/C Unit runs or continues to cycle

A/C Unit runs..........problem is with t-stat

A/C Unit continues to cycle........problem is with control box (inside return air/evap coil area)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #5

Dollars to Donuts it's a Dometic....

This is whats happening and believe it or not, it's normal if not annoying as all get out.

When the AC thermostat gets close to its set point with the fan set to AUTO, it will change from HIGH speed fan to LOW speed fan.

The issue is that it doesn't have a MEDIUM speed, so rather than transition smoothly to the next lower speed, it has a large gap where the compressor continues to run but the blower shuts off for 3-4 seconds and restarts in the new fan speed.

When the thermostat sees the temperature changing due to heat gain, it reverses the process going back to HIGH speed with the same gap in change.

If you are right at the set point, it could trigger a cycle back and forth as it rides the border.

The only way to avoid this behavior is to set the thermostat to either HiGH or LOW constant fan. I would not recommend LOW fan in humid conditions as it could allow the evaporator to freeze.

How this helps your issue.

BTW: Let us know if you don't know how to change the fan setting.
RandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Manufacturer of A/C ??

Try taping a piece of paper over the sensor for the thermostat (sensor could be remote or in thermostat). Sometimes a draft will create a false reading ... the sensor thinks it's cooler than it really is. If that's the problem try to find the source of draft.
Thanks...not sure on brand of unit...will check in morning

Old 06-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMan View Post

This is whats happening and believe it or not, it's normal if not annoying as all get out.

When the AC thermostat gets close to its set point with the fan set to AUTO, it will change from HIGH speed fan to LOW speed fan.

The issue is that it doesn't have a MEDIUM speed, so rather than transition smoothly to the next lower speed, it has a large gap where the compressor continues to run but the blower shuts off for 3-4 seconds and restarts in the new fan speed.

When the thermostat sees the temperature changing due to heat gain, it reverses the process going back to HIGH speed with the same gap in change.

If you are right at the set point, it could trigger a cycle back and forth as it rides the border.

The only way to avoid this behavior is to set the thermostat to either HiGH or LOW constant fan. I would not recommend LOW fan in humid conditions as it could allow the evaporator to freeze.

Thank you...you guys taught me two weeks ago how to change the fan settings! What you describe above is EXACTLY what it's doing. The fan is changing speeds all the time. Is there any routine maintenance that I should be doing to it?

Old 06-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMan View Post

Well....you won both the dollars AND the donuts! It IS A DOMETIC...big shock!

I put the temp down to 66 now and it's currently 76 in here. Fan is on HI and has not cycled off yet...which is good! I still left Fan on Auto Mode to see what it does.

Thank you ALL AGAIN...I'll keep you posted in case this can help someone else!
Appreciate all the help...as usual!