Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 07:54 AM   #1

Odor in shower drain

I have a 2017 Allegro Bus, 45’. I have an order emitting from my shower drain that smells somewhat like the black tank. I have to keep a stopper over the drain to keep it from going throughout the coach. I have poured treatment in the drain, but it has not helped. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, how do I eliminate it?
Pmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #2

The grey tank can get a pretty funky smell to it and sometimes nearly as bad as the black tank. But that smell can also come from the "P"traps that can accumulate lots of nasty stuff. As a routine maintenance item, I mix a 10 to 1 ratio of water and household bleach in a 2Qt. plastic pitcher with warm water and pour it down all the drains at night right before we go to bed. That way it can sit there overnight and disinfect the P traps and plumbing. It works every time.

About twice a year I use a stronger bleach/water formula, pour it down the shower drain to make a stronger concentration in the grey tank. Then con't to use the grey tank as normal until it's ready to dump. This in effect gives the grey tank a good washing and disinfecting.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

In the shower drain you have what's called a HEPVO valve instead of a P-trap. Inside is a rubber duckbill that's supposed to allow water to drain and close to keep odors out. If that has become damaged or stuck open with hair, etc it will allow odors to come back from the gray tank. If chemical treatment such as Drano doesn't clear it up, the valve will have to be replaced. DO NOT poke anything down the drain trying to unclog it as that will destroy the duckbill. The valve looks similar to below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hepvo valve.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	336622  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #4

Both the above posts are steps to follow as your coach may have a p-trap or a HEPVO valve. Either one can be found in a shower drain. Someone with the same coach may be able to tell us.

Point is, there should be no odor from the drain unless either one of those devices is dirty or faulty.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have a 2017 45OPP and the shower has the exact same problem. I don't see how there is room for a conventional P trap so I assume there is a HPVO valve somewhere. I haven't gone looking for it yet. A large shampoo bottle over the drain helps for now.

Tags
odor, shower