Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2021, 07:09 AM   #1

Oil change Onan 5500 Marquis

I changed the oil and filter in my Onan 5500 this weekend. Having changed the oil annually I remember having trouble getting the last few ounces of oil into the sump. I have tried putting the fill plug in the opening and turning the engine over a bit then adding a little more oil. This helped but I had to do it several times before getting both quarts of oil into the engine.
This weekend I pulled the oil filter out of the box as the old oil was draining and it struck me, why not fill the filter while it's sitting on the bench? I set the filter back into the box it came in to steady it and began pouring oil into the filter. The filter would take some oil then appear full. After waiting a minute the oil level in the filter would drop and I could add more oil. I continued to add oil, wait and add more oil until the filter was full. The filter (NAPA 7398 Gold) held 9 oz. of oil.
When the oil was drained from the engine I removed the old filter and holding the new filter steady upright I screwed the new filter on. I started pouring the remainder of the oil into the engine, then poured in the second quart of oil. To my surprise the engine took all the oil I had left from the 2 quarts without having to do anything but pouring the oil slowly into the fill opening. I installed the fill plug, started the engine and let it run for a minute. After shutting the engine down I checked the oil level and it was exactly where it needed to be.
This was a real time and aggravation saver.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2021, 10:01 PM   #2

great job,, sometimes the easy is over looked, I pre-fill all oil filters as much as i can before install.. this will help the newbe's that maybe dont have this idea.. always pre-fill if you can as much as you can.. the quickie shops dont.. and i dont like that.. happy trails to all.. good post..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exclamation Onan Marquis War Stories and Old school Mechanic.

Hello,
With my 2001 Land Yacht and the same 5500 Genset.
I just drain the warmed up oil. Replace the Drain Plug. Change the Filter. refill the Gen engine with oil and replace the filler plug (no splashes). Start the Gen and run it a little (30sec) to circulate the oil, Then Shut down the Gen engine and recheck oil and add remainder.

Two critical events from my own Airstream Land Yacht 5500 Generator experiences.

1- When the generator sits off season it can develop carburetor issues from the Ethanol in the Fuel. My own fix implemented as needed for 10 years has been to remove the rubber fuel line at the carburetor and dump any fuel in the line to make space. Next I spray Gumout Style Carb cleaner in the fuel line until full. Reconnect the fuel line and run the engine for a short minute to draw the carb cleaner in to the Carburetor and then shut off. This is to allow the cleaner to sit soaking inside. After several hours and or an overnite soak, This has cleared up the Awful Roaming and Sputtering that has reoccurred year after year of my partial use.

2- Last season the Genset would not start in the spring. I narrowed it down to No Fuel at the electric fuel pump behind the Genset. There was more than enough Gas in the Fuel Tank. (especially after I added 15 gallons by hand using cans at home to make sure it was above the 1/4 Tank. (minimum fuel level for the Gen pickup)
I determined that there was Still no gas coming to the Electric Fuel pump by blowing into the gas line by mouth. Next I connected an air blow gun to the line and blasted shop air in. The air could be heard escaping (roaring) from above the 60 gallon fuel tank. By crawling under and up underneath the Coach I was able to peer at the top of the tank. There was a soft fuel line attached to the Gen pickup that had rotted off and swung a foot away as it had a curve in its 3 foot length. It went to a hard line that followed the frame down to the Gen and it's Electric Fuel Pump. (Why is there a soft line at all?). Out of reach at 4 feet away and only 5 vertical inches of space above the tank prevented access. This forced me to manually Plot by hand the exact location of the Fuel Tank Pickup using many careful Measurements to locate the exact spot on the floor inside the Coach near the Bathroom and the foot of the Bed. I used a 5 inch hole saw and hit it dead on. Now I was finally able to replace the rotted rubber fuel line. What a Mission that was. Thanks again Airstream.

Old School Mechanic.
circa 1969
Standard oil change procedure for cars and other large engines was to Drain Warm engine oil, Remove Filter, Replace Drain Plug, Wipe oil on new rubber gasket ring on new filter and install by hand and tightening 1/4 turn beyond slightly snug by hand. Refill engine with oil. Start engine and run for a short minute. Let stand for a minute and check oil level. Top off oil if necessary.

We would only fill up the oil filter if the engine was Newly assembled and Dry.
Sometimes fill the filter on my BMW Motorcycle too.

I hope that Airstream Land Yacht Owners Read this.
It might be helpful in a pinch.
Respectfully
Stephen
schmaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:55 PM   #4

One caution I learned the hard way. Before cutting that hole to get to the fuel pump or hose, make sure you have no fresh-water or black/gray tanks in the way. If one is in the way, it still may be the easiest to remove rather than dropping the fuel tank. But do it before you start cutting.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:19 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post
One caution I learned the hard way. Before cutting that hole to get to the fuel pump or hose, make sure you have no fresh-water or black/gray tanks in the way. If one is in the way, it still may be the easiest to remove rather than dropping the fuel tank. But do it before you start cutting.

I am a little smarter than that.
schmaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:48 AM   #6

I’m sure you are, but not all of us are.

Tags
onan