RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 12:25 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oil drain plug - really tight - how to remove?

On our new to us Tiffin Phaeton's 10kw diesel generator, Speedco found the oil drain plug is really tight. So much so there is concern of damaging if applying more force to remove. So they opted to leave it alone and we skipped servicing the genny.

So, now turning my attentions to removing. I figure I will soak it well with PB Blaster a couple three times over a day before next attempting removal.

Other suggestions?

Thx!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 12:40 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is common for a first oil change.
Strange on an older coach
Be sure to get a 6 point socket.

You can also try some cold spray, used in electronics to find bad components.
spray the drain plug only so it will shrink a little, that might help.

Mine was very hard slso.

Dan
Old 01-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #3

Seems like this is a common complaint. I read one story where someone thought he was going to have to resort to drilling the plug out! In the end a air impact wrench save the day. Like Dan said, make sure you use a good 6 pt socket of the appropriate size and use a air impact wrench. If you are lucky, it will come off easily like the other fellow's did. Be forewarned, when using a impact wrench the plug comes out FAST and so does the oil . Be prepared.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #4

Once you get it out, and if you have room, you might want to consider one of the "quick drain" fittings that will alleviate the overtightening/stripping problem from ham fisted mechanics!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try using a breaker bar with a suitable size cheater bar to get it off. I'm sure the fast lube did not try too hard as they did not want the liability of the threads stripping out or the plug twisting off.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #6

I would try the impact wrench first. Be sure the wrench is set on reverse, pull the trigger slowly and apply pressure to the trigger steadily. The plug should loosen then use a ratchet and socket to extract the plug. The hammering effect of the impact will aid in loosening the plug.
We run into this all too often on aluminum oil pans on cars and trucks.
I will never understand why someone thinks a drain plug should be tightened as tight as a wheel nut. You can damage the plug gasket or O ring with overtightening which will result in a leak.
Lynn
Old 01-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
All that I have seen are pipe threads on the plug.........the newer ones are 6 point, and my older one is a 4 point! I put a couple of wraps of Teflon tape on it, and it comes right out next time.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
On our new to us Tiffin Phaeton's 10kw diesel generator, Speedco found the oil drain plug is really tight. So much so there is concern of damaging if applying more force to remove. So they opted to leave it alone and we skipped servicing the genny.
So, now turning my attentions to removing. I figure I will soak it well with PB Blaster a couple three times over a day before next attempting removal.
Other suggestions?
Thx!
vsheetz

BTW occasionally tapping the drain plug with a hammer while it's soaked with PB Blaster may help... (it does with rusted/frozen bolts and nuts).

(Also applying heat with propane torch might help).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #9

Not sure PB Blaster will do the job. Don't forget the plug is designed to seal,so PB probably won't get past the gasket. I like the impact wrench solution. I certainly would not use a 12 point socket. Use a socket that's NOT worn. I would also grind the leading edge of my socket so it had a square leading edge. Sockets have a rounded edge to allow easy slip on ,this however sometimes prevents full engagement of the nut or bolt head. I've removed dozens of frozen oil plugs that customers buggered up trying to remove them with shabby tools. You'd be surprised how many vehicles get towed in when DIY'ers try to remove over tightened oil filters. Lots of times the tin can is shredded and only the threaded plate is left.

CLIFF
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
vsheetz

BTW occasionally tapping the drain plug with a hammer while it's soaked with PB Blaster may help... (it does with rusted/frozen bolts and nuts).

(Also applying heat with propane torch might help).

Mel
'96 Safari
Dont use heat, heat expands. It works fine on nuts.
your plug is inside a hoke, it needs to shrink.
I would not try to hest the oil pan.

Dan
Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Dont use heat, heat expands. It works fine on nuts.
your plug is inside a hole, it needs to shrink.
I would not try to heat the oil pan.
Dan
dpinvidic
The common procedure is:
1.) Heat the plug.
2.) Allow it cool.
3.) Remove it.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
You'd be surprised how many vehicles get towed in when DIY'ers try to remove over tightened oil filters. Lots of times the tin can is shredded and only the threaded plate is left.

CLIFF
My first oil change on my John Deere tractor I ended up ripping he can right off the filter base! I swear they must have used Super Glue on the threads at the factory! Same as these generators, why tighten the drain plug so much?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #13

Wow, I didn't think removing a simple pipe plug could draw so much attention.

This is a Tappered Thread Pipe Plug into an Aluminum housing. If it's a 6 point head on the plug, get a Good 6 point socket with a long handled ratchet or break over bar and lean into it until it snaps free. If it's a 4 point head, get a Good 8 point socket and do the same.

Forget about torches, spray goop etc. Just use good old fashioned Muscle and the right tool.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #14

Impact wrench is the only safe alternative..... Breaker bar might cause more trouble.
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote