Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 06:14 AM   #1

on city lukewarm water, on pump hot hot water

Her is an odd one. When on city hookup no hot water, lukewarm in kitchen, cold in bathroom. I turn on water pump then a fluctuation of warm, turn off city and 100% water pump then boiling hot. So the tank is heating, when i open the relief valve a bit its scalding. The bypass valve is cold.

last weekend boondocking with electric and all was fine. This weekend full hook ups and on electric heater and no/lukewarm hot. I then went to propane thinking maybe its the electric element. Proppian burner never came on. I turned on water pump then got a little more hot but still not super hot. turned off city at the spigot and went 100% water pump and scalding hot. Ran it for a minute and propane burner kicked on. So i think the water tank and heating elements are fine its just this weird thing on city hook up. a month ago was on full hookups and all was fine. I have changed nothing since then except RV went in for a refrigerator repair and they replaced the cooling element.

Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #2

City water and pump discharge supply SAME RV COLD water line which then supplies cold to the water heater

SO SHOULD BE same issue city water or pump
**Pump will not start/run if city water pressure is higher then pump start pressure set point

Few questions:
City water...using a Regulator?
What pressure is city water?
Is FLOW on city water good?
FLOW better on Pump?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:47 AM   #3

Check winterizing by-pass valve.
Check outside shower. Make sure both hot and cold faucets are "off".
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #4

So the follow up. I switched back and forth between city and pump a few times and all is well. I did check out door shower as Persistent subjected and I think (I think) the hot was open but the sprayer isn't going or anything. all the bypasses were in correct position. I didn't really do anything except run hot water and switch between city and onboard pump. Maybe there was an air lock or something.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outside shower, hot and cold faucets on

This lets the cold water and hot water mix inside the fixture. I have found this a few times on my rv too. I have a bar of soap and use the outside sprayer to wash my hands after I hook and unhook the sewer hose and forget to turn them off. It's a common deal causing the hot water to be just a little warm throughout the rv. the water connection Almost always has higher pressure than the water pump.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:46 AM   #6

Wow, such a small unnoticeable thing that sent me into a bit of a tail spin . Good thing to know, its a small answer to a seemingly big problem. Thanks.

Tags
hot water, pump, water