Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
ONAN 12.5 HDKCB-code13 &36

Good day,
My diesel generator quit working this week and have a code 36; done all basic maintenance. Oil and filter, coolant, new oil and temp sensors replaced actuator ,fuel filter ,fuel pump, air filter. Checked pins on plugs. It ran for about 10 minutes so checked output voltage 1 leg was 129-130
another was 125-. I had a code 13 so? I replaced the transformer-315-0899. It started checked voltage 1 leg was 121 the other 127
ran about 10 minutes and quit with the 36 code again!
Question is, is the board my only option? or is there any other test I can do.
Thank you in advance.
SAL
ONAN 12.5 HDKCB11506A SER#A50741922
airconsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by airconsal View Post
ran about 10 minutes and quit with the 36 code again!
Question is, is the board my only option? or is there any other test I can do.
ONAN 12.5 HDKCB11506A SER#A50741922
I have the same generator. My cure was the board, however others have replaced the fuel pump, fuel hose between the tank and fuel pump. I changed the fuel pump and swapped the fuel lines feed and return but in the end it was the board. Some have wired a fuel pump switch to bypass the board. I couldn't think of a way to do that and retain the AGS Auto Generator Start feature I use frequently.

Look at post #11
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/dies...-a-447658.html
Old 08-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks I will just have to suck it up and buy the board have replaced everything on the list from Onan . Just 800.00 is hard to part with!
Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Chiming in here...
I had a similar issue with my 8kw HDKAK. Would run for maybe 30-45 min and then shutdown with that code. I tried everything I could think of, but got the same result. Finally dropped it at local Cummins/Onan folks.
End result was that board. I happened to be there when they were installing the new one - sure didn't look like it was solid gold to me . Guess you gotta pay if you wanna play.

Hope it fixes yours too!
Old 08-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by airconsal View Post
Thanks I will just have to suck it up and buy the board have replaced everything on the list from Onan . Just 800.00 is hard to part with!
Thanks for your reply.
Remember the Cummins Power Club for your 10% discount! https://www.cumminspowerclub.com/
Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Onan fix

Thanks for your help.
Took a ride to Cummins WPB Florida and purchased the board.
I put the board in before Hurricane Dorian struck.
I let it run under load for 3 hours and purred like a kitten.

Sal
Old 12-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #7

Have a 12.5 KW HDKCB with same issues (cuts out while running then no priming clicks in fuel pump) on two occasions. First time I took it to Cummins and they "fixed" it for $450. Happened again about 300 hours later and decided to do some research on irv2.com . Saw a post somewhere on this site that said pull the J1 cable to the mother board and put a little dielectric grease on the Fuel pump pin (24). This worked like a champ for another 300 hours or so. Happened again, same code 36. Looking for an easier solution I started by jiggling only the J1-to mother board connector just inside the maintenance door. I didn't even remove cover or get inside to the mother board. Started right up and is still running under load. I'll post again in another 300 hours of use.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
I have the same generator. My cure was the board, however others have replaced the fuel pump, fuel hose between the tank and fuel pump. I changed the fuel pump and swapped the fuel lines feed and return but in the end it was the board. Some have wired a fuel pump switch to bypass the board. I couldn't think of a way to do that and retain the AGS Auto Generator Start feature I use frequently.

Look at post #11
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/dies...-a-447658.html
Have a 12.5 KW HDKCB with same issue (cuts out while running then no priming clicks in fuel pump) on two occasions. First time I took it to Cummins and they "fixed" it for $450. Happened again about 300 hours later and decided to do some research on irv2.com . Saw a post somewhere on this site that said pull the J1 cable to the mother board and put a little dielectric grease on the Fuel pump pin (24). This worked like a champ for another 300 hours or so. Happened again, same code 36. Looking for an easier solution I started by jiggling only the wiring harness J1-to mother board connector just inside the maintenance door. I didn't even remove cover or get inside to the mother board. Started right up and is still running under load. I'll post again in another 300 hours of use.

Tags
onan