Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 05:33 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Onan 4000 KY clicking sound

Our rig is about 2 yrs old with a 4000KY Onan gen set. It has about 160 hrs on it and runs smooth and well. It is used and cycled regularly (about every 2 weeks for 1-2 hours) under load.

But of late its started a loud and noticeable intermittent clicking sound. I note no deterioration in its running, it runs smooth, no error codes, starts relatively easily.

I pulled the cover to check for rubbing on the cowling but the clicking continues.

Any ideas what to suspect? My mind is thinking its an impending fuel pump issue?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #2

Most likely it's the fuel pump as it happened on our Onan 5500 genset. If it runs OK I wouldn't be too concerned but might be wise to get a spare fuel pump to keep with you just in case.

When ours was hammering pretty bad, it was due to a split in the fuel line from the tank and the pump was sucking air. Eventually had to replace the gbenset fuel line, however our coach was 10 years old at the time.

Good luck & safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:47 AM   #3

I agree most likely the fuel pump doing the hammering, as reported in the case above.
I have found the hammering to be a more consistent sign of the pump struggling to find fuel in the line. As noted above, I would first direct my attention to the fuel line and any fitting or connections in the line.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the tips! Will do more checking (and will order a spare fuel pump)!!
Old 12-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
doing the pump thingy- Game On

Ordered pump and filter today. Will see what happens and will try to remember to post results. Parts arrive Wed'

Not looking forward to wrestling match to get the old one out and new one in. Looks pretty tight with several other parts needing to be removed.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #6

Please do post back. It really helps to know!

Steve
Old 12-21-2015, 08:13 PM   #7

The Onan pumps make a pretty loud noise when they suck air.
My money would be on a leak on the vacuum side of the fuel pump.

Be careful of taking any Onan fuel pump into the local auto parts house and trying to match it up visually. There are quite a few of those pumps that all look alike but vary greatly in their pressure ouput.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #8

As you suggest, I would also suggest checking the hose and connections first.

Steve
Old 12-22-2015, 05:32 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
As you suggest, I would also suggest checking the hose and connections first.

Steve

Thanks Steve and observe no fuel line problems so far. I am going to see if I can observe any indication of collapsed or damaged fuel line upon full pump and filter removal. The entire unit is only about 18 months old, but that doesn't mean that the fuel line couldn't have failed

I am beginning to suspect the fuel filter may be restricting flow to the pump thus stressing the pump's demand for fuel. I ran into some real bad gas and extremely dirty/dusty conditions while traveling up in the Yukon this past summer. The conditions plagued the engine and its fuel system on the moho and there's no reason to expect the same contamination has not impacted the fuel supplied to the gen set as it comes from the same source.

In addition to more intense line inspection I am going to replace both the filter and pump. We'll see what happens!
Joe
Old 12-22-2015, 05:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchuckie View Post
The Onan pumps make a pretty loud noise when they suck air.
My money would be on a leak on the vacuum side of the fuel pump.

Be careful of taking any Onan fuel pump into the local auto parts house and trying to match it up visually. There are quite a few of those pumps that all look alike but vary greatly in their pressure ouput.
Did a check with the Techs and ordered the right pump on line. I decided to go with an Airtex direct OEM match and and a new Onan filter

Other than observe fuel leaks I probably can't go further than observation for line failure prior to the pump intake. Can not get to the top of the fuel tank connection without a massive job of tank removal. Not sure I can do more myself than visual observation?????? Any advice on a way to check the vacuum side of the line other than visually given the limitations?. (see note to Mr_Fixit)
Old 12-22-2015, 05:52 AM   #11

"Can not get to the top of the fuel tank connection without a massive job of tank removal."

For the same reason when it was built it could have been left loose. That exact clamp on my 5th wheel toy hauler was loose. It was very tight on mine but I was able to use a 20 inch long socket extension to get on it and tighten it.
Maybe that's not your problem, but I would start with checking the tightness of all the clamps.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchuckie View Post
"Can not get to the top of the fuel tank connection without a massive job of tank removal."

For the same reason when it was built it could have been left loose. That exact clamp on my 5th wheel toy hauler was loose. It was very tight on mine but I was able to use a 20 inch long socket extension to get on it and tighten it.
Maybe that's not your problem, but I would start with checking the tightness of all the clamps.
Thanks will give it a shot!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Success!

Well today I was finally in a position to attack the problem head on. It finally stopped "flooding "around here and I could get outside and into the rig and work on the gen set.

I installed a new filter and fuel pump. Took about 3 hours at my plodding slow and cautious pace. Man that area around that pump is tight!!

Had to remove that electronic gizmo thingy and the solenoid . Took the air filter cover off, unplugged a circuit to something or other. After a series of gymnastics and gyrations I managed to get that electronic gizmo thingy out of the cowling with the solenoid attached. Then I could get my pudgy paws into the pump/filter assembly, pencil plugged the fuel line from the tank, and wrangle the pump assembly out.

Put the new pump and filter in. Wired it all back up. Slapped that electronic gizmo thingy back in ,connected the fuel lines, wired up the solenoid, turned on the battery and primed the fuel system. One long crank- nothing fired. Primed again and hit the starter and she started right up. Put a load on her and ran her for half an hour.

No more intermittent heavy clicking sound and she purred like a kitten the whole time.

This cowboy sure is happy!.

Thanks folks for the education and all the good insight!
Old 01-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #14

Good for you

Tags
onan