Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2023, 08:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Onan 5.5HGJAB-901A Carburetor Fuel In plugged

Hello young and old, we have a problem and it seems to me like 🤪 rocket 🤪 science 🤪

I do NOT know carburetors

New to us '01 Winnebago with the Onan 5.5HGJAB-901A generator has not been run in years ?, seller was sketchy on it.

It will run if I manually add fuel thru the air inlet.

Pulled fuel line after filter and got flow with 'PRIME' command and with Start.

Used a Turkey baster with tubing to slip onto fuel inlet pipe and found it plugged.

Pulled Carb and used that Turkey baster again to add straight STP carb cleaner thru the inlet while the carb was upsidedown to allow gravity to get the cleaner to the clog.

After a few minutes and squeezing then releasing the baster, it cleared gum then brown fuel then blew clean cleaner out one side of the inside of the carb.

Then when carb is rotated to upright it plugged 😔.

I am thinking I should be able to force fuel in the inlet and out the carb in any position? So I intend to continue cleaning tomorrow.

I have access to a small air compressor and am considering blowing from the inside of the carb out thru the inlet, add more cleaner repeat.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Two rungs beneath Novice
🤣
GetaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2023, 10:24 PM   #2

I suggest your carb may need a rebuild. Use the googles and find a shop. Alternative is to completely replace the carb, if you don't know those devices don't try to rebuild one yourself. Don't ask me why. I have screwed up a lot of carbs by trying to save money.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:47 AM   #3

The carb has a needle valve and float in it.

It's like a toilet where it fills to a certain level and the float comes up and shuts the needle valve.

You can pump some gas in the inlet until the bowl is full but then it stops.

The air being sucked into the engine thru the carb is what draws gas up out of the bowl. That passage thru the jet gets plugged and stops flow.

Take the bolt out of the center of the bowl on the bottom and remove the bowl. Pay attention, the float is hanging on a pin that can fall out. Once the bolt is out and bowl is off, the passage for the gas is up thru where the bowl bolt was.

Soak, spray, brush out, blow out that passage.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 05:07 AM   #4

The carb has to be completely disassembled.
Soak the carburetor body in carburetor cleaner along with the jets.
After soaking rinse the parts off with parts cleaner or a degreaser and water.
Use compressed air to blow the parts and passage ways off.
The passage ways in in the carb body and jets could still be clogged if the fuel crystallized.
You can use a fine wire like guitar strings or a welding tip cleaner to check passage ways.
,check the jets also.
Buy a rebuild kit and find/follow instructions.
Avoid buying a new China made carb if you want to replace the carb.
Also replace the intake gasket if it's not included in a kit.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 05:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetaRock View Post
Hello young and old, we have a problem and it seems to me like 🤪 rocket 🤪 science 🤪

I do NOT know carburetors

New to us '01 Winnebago with the Onan 5.5HGJAB-901A generator has not been run in years ?, seller was sketchy on it.

It will run if I manually add fuel thru the air inlet.

Pulled fuel line after filter and got flow with 'PRIME' command and with Start.

Used a Turkey baster with tubing to slip onto fuel inlet pipe and found it plugged.

Pulled Carb and used that Turkey baster again to add straight STP carb cleaner thru the inlet while the carb was upsidedown to allow gravity to get the cleaner to the clog.

After a few minutes and squeezing then releasing the baster, it cleared gum then brown fuel then blew clean cleaner out one side of the inside of the carb.

Then when carb is rotated to upright it plugged 😔.

I am thinking I should be able to force fuel in the inlet and out the carb in any position? So I intend to continue cleaning tomorrow.

I have access to a small air compressor and am considering blowing from the inside of the carb out thru the inlet, add more cleaner repeat.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Two rungs beneath Novice
🤣
Hello, sorry for your issues. If I were you I would save myself the headache and go on Amazon and buy one. They are less than $50.00 dollars and well worth not to spend time and effort to fix the gummed up carb. Good luck
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 06:43 AM   #6

Read good and bad on China carb for Onan. If you go that route and it doesn't seem to run proper, try to swap the jet from old carb. 90% of time I can remove bottom jet that holds the bowl and idle jet clean and get any small engine running again.
Your genny has elect. fuel pump. Fuel pick up is at 1/4 is tank the sucks air, as not to empty the fuel tank. I've almost never had I need a valve fail closed unless from piece of rubber hose. Most of time the issue was a needle leaking and flooding the carb. You talked about inverting it that will definitely close the needle. With the bowl removed or carb removed it should be able to test the pump "carefully." Catch gas in container. Like said take care not to loose float pin or needle valve wire clip. Disassemble carb in pan or cloth so not to loose little parts. Brake cleaner is stronger than carb cleaner to blast out orifices in carb cleaner.... wear rubber gloves safety glasses.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 12:30 PM   #7

I retract my advice to fix it.
https://www.amazon.com/541-0765-Carb...46752446&psc=1

And I agree with the above advice to replace. I have had 100% success rate with Chinese carbs on multiple devices. I personally don't care if it comes from the darkest corner of China or the moon if it works. I replaced my entire air dryer assembly with a China setup and it solved lots of problems instantly. Plus this stuff is so cheap you can keep spares on board.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 12:44 PM   #8

Look on you tube.. step by step on cleaning carbs.. very easy.. try KEVIN CAUDELL.. he walks you thru it.. see my old post.. I walk you through it..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-15-2023, 09:17 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
1. Thanks for all the advice
2. Apologies for forgetting to respond
3. Carb cleared . . . by me :⁠-⁠)
4. Found this awesome video cleaning this carburetor. Easy to listen to, excellent tips:

https://youtu.be/xvBJeX2o2Ik?si=Ihpc7RWSE5wyCkA2

I only removed the top plate and carefully removed jet, cleaned with spray carb-cleaner.

Generator purrs like a well fed kitten.

Thank you all.
GetaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update, glad to hear all is well.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 04:20 PM   #11

Thanks.. glad to hear.. onan carbs are made to be servied in the field..
Good luck and keep us posted

Tags
fuel, onan