Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2021, 05:04 PM   #1

Onan 5500 generator will not start

Hello. I am new to the community. Hoping I can get a little help. Started the generator while on shore power, we were sitting outside and after approx 30 minutes it shut down. Tried to restart it and nothing. Checked fuses and all were okay. Took it to storage and when I went back to work on it I noticed batteries were fairly low. Hooked up to shore power and they are not charging. With no power to the generator and now batteries not charging I began going through everything with a multimeter. Found
2 12v 50amp resettable circuit breakers which were real weak when tried to reset. Replaced them, still no change. Checked the two 6 volt coach batteries and they were real low so surge protectors wouldn't allow system to charge. Charged each one to full charge, with 12.75 across the two i reconnected them at the switch and nowi have power to generator and charging off of shore power, BUT all I am getting when I try to start the generator is a buzzing/humming sound that seems to be coming from behind the start button on the generator. I noticed a bad wire and repaired it but no change. ???????? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Sorry if long winded but wanted all details out there of everything that happened And I have done. 2005 Damon Challenger F53 chassis with Onan 5500 generator. Thanks in advance
Tumbling RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #2

Not sure if you have two problems or one. Low battery but ? Generator won't start, many time it is the fuel pump that runs for a few minutes and stops. Maybe just a surface charge on bad battery? How old of battery? Check fuel pump, disconnect the out flow hose should fill coffee can soon.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
Not sure if you have two problems or one. Low battery but ? Generator won't start, many time it is the fuel pump that runs for a few minutes and stops. Maybe just a surface charge on bad battery? How old of battery? Check fuel pump, disconnect the out flow hose should fill coffee can soon.
A friend who is a mechanic and engine builder came over earlier and looked at it. He feels like the buzzing is located up front around the wiring behind the start button. He noticed that he could feel the control board vibrate. But as we were looking at it and moving some of the groups of wires around we did hear a clunk sound that to both of us sounded like the starter. But that sounds only occurred once. The buzzing sound doesn't sound like a fuel pump to me but I will check that out as well. When checking the voltage with a meter coming into the generator I had over 13 volts
Tumbling RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Am I understanding this correctly...you are running the generator while connected to shore power?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:08 PM   #5

I think that he did say that

Tags
generator, onan