Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster27 View Post
check the air door by the air cleaner , there is a winter/summer leaver to apply more heat to the carb for cooler temperatures , mine is at the back of my Georgie Boy 34 ft , as far as 4000 ft , mine runs fine and my house is at the bottom of the mountain at 4000 ft , unit comes from Ontario , California 3 years ago , check fuel pressure at the carb with a gauge , should be over 4 psi

Do you have a picture of that control handle. I have a 5500 gold.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I had the same problem with my Onan 5500. It would run fine in cool weather, but in the heat it would run 30-45 minutes and shut down with no trouble code displayed. I replaced the fuel pump and it ran fine on our last trip before I traded it in. I never got a chance to give it a workout in hot weather though. The pumps are available on Amazon. Find your model number and search for Airtex and the model number. All of the OEM fuel pumps are made by Airtex. I paid about $45 for mine last year.
This is almost FOR SURE the issue. If it is not the oil level it is very good odds of being the fuel pump. I had the same problem just 2 weeks ago and installing a new fuel pump solved the issue. There are many threads on the fuel pump failing at high ambient temps if you Google it: http://bfy.tw/2CDV

See my post here for a little more info on my situation and on an important fuel filter bypass that should be installed: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post2769478
Old 10-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaddy805 View Post
No more thoughts?
What is the distance between you gen. and fuel tank?
I ask this because in my experience these pumps once overheated become weak on the suction side of the pump. I also now carry a spare. My fuel source is 30' away so that's my reasoning for adding a second fuel pump closer to the supply.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I had the same problem with my Onan 5500. It would run fine in cool weather, but in the heat it would run 30-45 minutes and shut down with no trouble code displayed. I replaced the fuel pump and it ran fine on our last trip before I traded it in. I never got a chance to give it a workout in hot weather though. The pumps are available on Amazon. Find your model number and search for Airtex and the model number. All of the OEM fuel pumps are made by Airtex. I paid about $45 for mine last year.

By the way, unless yours has a vent in the door from the factory, you should not add one. The 5500 is designed to have air flow through the generator coils to keep them cool. If you leave the door off or cut a vent, you interrupt the normal air flow and it can cause it to overheat.
Been there done that. Had a 5500 for 10 years and had to replace the fuel pump or it wouldn't run for more than 15 minutes in the AZ summer heat.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #19

Sweet thanks for all the info. I'm gonna try the new fuel pump then. Is it a hard job to do? Is there any tricks to doing this job? I might also run a second fuel pump so the pumps dont have to work so hard cause my fuel line is around 18ft long so thats a lot of work I guess.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:00 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Sweet thanks for all the info. I'm gonna try the new fuel pump then. Is it a hard job to do? Is there any tricks to doing this job? I might also run a second fuel pump so the pumps dont have to work so hard cause my fuel line is around 18ft long so thats a lot of work I guess.
It is super easy to change the pump and filter, I would say it took me about 20 minutes.
Here is the OEM pump on Amazon (at least for my 5500): Amazon.com: Airtex E11015 Electric Fuel Pump for Onan Generator Set: Automotive
And here is the fuel filter: http://amzn.com/B00IDW3V1M

Make sure to check that the upper filter is eliminated that I indicated in the prior post. If you need the part, the part number is A029S253
Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #21

Ok i'm gonna order the fuel pump and try it out. As for the fuel filter it looks like that was already eliminated I had looked for it before and I could never find one. I guess this is the reason why i didn't find one. But I did put my own fuel filter right before the carb so I could see what was going on with the fuel and to make sure nothing was getting into the carb. I guess I'm gonna have a busy weekend with having to do this and 2 quads that have clogged jets. I dont know why i'm having fuel issues when I put more than enough sta-bil in all my tanks. Thanks for the all the info and help guys. I'll let you know how it works on my next trip which should be on Thanksgiving.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #22

New fuel pump is on its way
Old 10-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #23

Quote:
New fuel pump is on its way
Good deal. Are you replacing the oem pump in the same location?
Old 10-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #24

Should I do that? Any suggestions?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would just install in the same location, it is very easy. The only part that may be hard to deal with is that the electrical connections can be tucked in and somewhat difficult to maneuver to get to. Some folks have added a set of connections closer to the pump to make future changes easier. I would bet the whole job could be done in 5 to 10 minutes if there were electrical connections.

On a side note I assume you ordered a new fuel filter along with the pump?
Old 10-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #26

Mine has the fuel filter delete already. But I had put a clear fuel filter in sometime ago so I could see what my fuel looks like. I could never find one so I thought I should add one to be on the safe side. I was under my trailer looking all over the place for one. It was a pain in the ass since my trailer has a closed undercarriage.
I have the fuel filter inside right under the air cleaner. Is this a bad idea since it's inside the generator area now tat I think about it. Or does it not matter. I've had this problem before I put in the new fuel filter.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The fuel filter I linked in my post above screws into the fuel pump. The filter is preset with sealer on the threads so you just screw it on. This is all assuming that the filter and pump I linked are the proper part numbers for your generator.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #28

I didn't order that since I already have one of the see thru filters. Should it make a difference? Will either one be fine? I thought the see thru one would be better so I can see if anything is getting in the fuel lines. So far the filter looks clean.

Today was a hot day I should of ran the gen to see if it would do it here at sea lvl and it was almost 100 today. Hopefully tomorrow is a hot day so I can try it out. If it doesn't die then i'm guessing it would have to be something else.

Tags
onan