Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #1

Onan 5500 won't crank or turn over.

My Onan 5500 won't crank or turn over. It does make a loud clacking noise and I am wondering if that is just the starter solenoid trying to close but not able to. I have good voltage and checked connection points and seem good. I was able to turn over motor from below with socket and ratchet wrench. Can't get at starter or solenoid without lowering generator. I may temporarily remove some sheet metal to access starter area. Any ideas would help. Thanks, Jerry
Jerry Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Low battery voltage, poor connections at the battery or solenoid or defective solenoid are the causes of what you describe. Try jumping across the solenoid terminals and see if it starts.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #3

Thanks RJay, I will try the jumper as soon as I can get at the starter and solenoid.
Jerry
Old 08-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Jerry,
RJay gave good advice. The logical way to verify those things without having to go any further than necessary (removing panels and dropping generator, testing across a difficult-to-reach solenoid)... would be to simply try jump-starting the genset battery with a strong jump source first.

CAUTION: ALWAYS REMOVE RINGS FROM FINGERS BEFORE WORKING ON A BATTERY. SHORTING A RING ACROSS A BATTERY CAN BURN YOUR FINGER TO THE BONE.

If you CAN jump-start the genset, it strongly suggests a weak battery and/or weak connections. A battery can read 12 volts and still not have any "punch" to it. Have your genset battery LOAD tested (free at lots of auto parts stores) to be sure it is up to holding and delivering the CRANKING AMPS needed to start your genset.

Also, you said you "checked" the connections and they "seemed" good. Even if they are tightly clamped, they can develop a patina between the post and clamp which will not let the required amperage flow.

To really be certain that the connections ARE good, you have to actually take the clamp off the battery post and use a battery post cleaning tool or sandpaper to get the clamp and post back to a shiny state, reinstall and re-tighten. This is also a god time to install the little felt rings which help eliminate the patina and corrosion.

If you CANNOT jump-start with a good hot jumper battery (again, clamped to clean and tight battery connectors), then you will need to proceed to the more difficult to reach areas to check the solenoid.

Yes, clacking or buzzing is the sound a solenoid makes when it is not happy... but a good hot battery can cheer it up in a hurry!

Good luck, work SAFELY, and...
All the best to you,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #5

Thank you Good Man for all your informative input. I will try all of your suggestions at my first opportunity. I am in the process of getting ready to make an RV trip, so the generator may have to wait until I have a little more time. It sure is great to have the help we get on this forum. Regards, Jerry
Old 08-23-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Be sure to check the bonding of the ground cable of generator to the frame. Check voltage at generator cables while trying to crank. If the voltage does not drop below 12 volt and you have this clanking noise, you have a bad solenoid or starter. If voltage does drop then you have a power or cabling issue.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #7

Thank you one and all. I just got the Onan generator started and it seems to be running well. I have got both of my compressors for my lower compartment AC unit running and the generator has the AC unit cooling fine. I got the generator running by jumping direct to generator with my CRV tow car. Now I will remove all cables, clean them and charge batteries and see if generator will start. Thanks again. Jerry
Old 08-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Jerry,
Glad you got it going without having too much trouble, friend. The key now is to ensure the battery holds sufficient charge to conistently start the genset without having to jump it off.

Even if it does act OK, there is no harm in cleaning up those connections and checking the cells for proper level of electrolyte (if it is not "sealed").

Thank you so much for taking the time to post feedback on your success! It's disappointing to invest the time to help someone and never hear from them again... and when that happens, nobody really learns anything about what worked and what did not work.
Travel safely!
All the best,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote