Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 10:51 AM   #1

Onan 6500 Emerald plus

I bought a 1988, 33 ft bounder by fleetwood and the only thing I could use help with ( for now) is my generator...
Itís an Onan 6.5 emerald 3 genset.
It looks like someone took great care of this thing but it also appears to have sat for a while. I replaced the points condenser coil wires and plugs and double checked the little magnito arm that produces the spark I believe...replaced carburetor and found that the fuel pump is not getting power from the control board. I pulled the pump and it bench tests fine: I tried to get a reading from the power supply to the pump when priming (holding stop down) and when starting the unit and no nota... the generator runs when I push and release start as long as I shoot starting fluid in the intake of the carb so I know Iím close!!!
my question (for now) is, what conditions have to be met for the fuel pump to get the permissive to run? And how do I check said safety...
Thank for reading and happy trails!!!
Trevot
Serobesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #2

Use all safety precautions.. I would disconnect gen fuel pump 12v at f/p.. and run my own 12v bypass using inline switch.. and clamp directly to battery pos.. then see if gen starts and runs..
Next it could be 1 of 2 things.. control board or voltage regulator..
Control board.. does control f/p and voltage regulator controls coil.. I may be wrong..
There are great you tube vids by FLIGHT SYSTEMS GEN REPAIR .. or and you can call them.. they will walk you through it..
1st.. check your armature slip rings are nice and shiny.. if not.. this could be your simple problem.. see you tube as listed above.. if you have never cleaned slip rings.. then your voltage regulator could be bad.. use good flashlights and there is nothing to take apart.. look into gen side armature slip rings and check..

Also many members here post they find corroded pins and connections at control board.. use electric contact cleaner to clean up after gently pulling back control board.. remove all batteries neg connections.. so you will not short anything..
Look for critter damage, nest ect..
Hopefully this will give you and others more to get the ball rolling
As always good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-20-2021, 11:24 AM   #3

Oh.. keep old carb.. tell us why did you replace it? They are made to be cleaned..
Old 10-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hopefully someone will be able to help with the genny!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Use all safety precautions.. I would disconnect gen fuel pump 12v at f/p.. and run my own 12v bypass using inline switch.. and clamp directly to battery pos.. then see if gen starts and runs..
Control board.. does control f/p and voltage regulator controls coil.. I may be wrong..
There are great you tube vids by FLIGHT SYSTEMS GEN REPAIR .. or and you can call them.. they will walk you through it..
1st.. check your armature slip rings are nice and shiny.. if not.. this could be your simple problem.. see you tube as listed above.. if you have never cleaned slip rings.. then your voltage regulator could be bad.. use good flashlights and there is nothing to take apart.. look into gen side armature slip rings and check..

Also many members here post they find corroded pins and connections at control board.. use electric contact cleaner to clean up after gently pulling back control board.. remove all batteries neg connections.. so you will not short anything..
As always good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Don, thank you so much!!!
I ran a positive lead to the fuel pump and nothing. I replaced the fuel pump (ran jumper) nothing... I pulled the fuel line off of the carb and I am getting fuel to the carb.
It did seam like it wanted to run until I let go of the start switch but I might just be hoping and a wishing...
I tried to prime the fuel pump and it did not energize the entire 30 seconds I held the stop button and no light came on... FYI
I am planning on performing the recommended checks in the morning and will check back in. I planned on checking the low oil switch just because it seems so easy to do...
When I ran the jumper to the fuel pump it did seem like pump was turning but the fuel was not moving, like a valve was shut or maybe a filter I did not see was clogged... idk
When I shoot starter fluid into the unit sometimes I can keep it running for a bit after I let go of the start switch and sometimes it wonít... like my results are not constant...
sorry it that does not make a whole lot sense l... tired and frustrated, been at it all day...
thanks again for the help and I will let you know what I find!!!
Safe travels
Old 10-21-2021, 08:28 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck wiht the repairs and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #7

PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:43 PM   #8

So next.. I would bypass fuel tank altogether.. use all safety precautions.. get 5gal gas can.. fresh gas.. then run fuel line from can to pump.. then run your straight pos to pump with a switch to turn pump on or off.. or have a way to just disconnect fuel pump at batteries.. then disconnect fuel line at carb and put into jug.. see if f/p pumps gas..
Then reconnect fuel line to carb.. and give that a try..
You are directly powering fp from batteries and fuel from gas can.. NOW HERE IS WHY.

This is my story of frustration.. I have 2000 onan 5500 only 265hrs.. when I got it.. run like great. [ fuel tank past full ] . now problem.. then i tried to exercise with main tank about 3/4 full.. gen would not start.. so it is old.. did tune and check.. still no go.. replaced fp run some act like starving for fuel.. I pulled everything.. I mean months of lonely nights and days.. looking and checking..
Then I started reading.. from back to front.. every post here on onan I could find.. months of reading and re reading... months of lonely nights..
Then saw a few posts.. from great members here.. about critters..
Critters love tasty wires and rubber hoses and lines on rv and eat the tiniest holes in everything.. critters make nests, eat, and short out everything they touch..
SO I notice that on the back of gen.. the fp line goes into hard line.. I figured ok.. no critters going to eat that.. but I checked it.. I figured that if hard line was leaking I would see or smell a leak.. no leak. Even when I filled main tank full..
I did not try.. what members said about running off straight gas can and try.. I missed that..
But I did blow air through hard line.. hoping to clear blockage or hear a leak.. days.. nothing..
I followed hard line and man.. so hard.. days under rv.. I felt every inch.. and a section of hard line goes above main tank.. well my big fat head will not fit in the space between tank.. ask me how I know.. months trying..
SO I used cell phone with camera and flash and record up in between.. I noticed hard line stops over tank and transitions to rubber line.. ok still can't see anything.. I tried holding phone over tank to get a better look.. just could not.. bad arm and neck and back.. ect..

SO I order recording special bore scope camera.. only 80 off online store.. with 10ft of camera wire.. I followed that rubber line.. above main fuel tank.. I started to notice that it was old.. I mean 20yrs old.. there were all kinds of fine cracks.. loose rusty clamp still holding rubber on.. but no leaks.. no air.. months.. watching recording.. I finally find a tiny bite mark.. just through the line.. critters..
SO I broke down.. bypassed main tank.. used my own 5 gal can the feed fp at gen back side..
Gen purred .. after I got some air out of fuel line from 5gal can to carb..
SO I learned the hard way that... when things go haywire and don't make sense keep critters in the back of your mind all the time..
Rvs sit.. and just invited critters to lunch and nice new home.. critters find old rv tasty wires and rubber hoses and lines on rv and eat the tiniest holes that will leak air into fuel line.. and still sometimes it will not leak.. rubber hoses get old and crack.. hairline cracks.. that leak air.. but don't leak fuel..

I had several options on how to repair.. drop tank.. or run line different way.. that is another long story..
SO good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-21-2021, 11:29 PM   #9

Updation

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post

Update;
I pulled the low oil pressure switch and re-installed and...
It will stay running as long as I keep spraying starter fluid into the intake, but it if I do not spray the fluid in it does not even sound like itís trying...???...
Before I take the carb apart, is there a pump in the tank that pushes fuel to the inlet of the Onan pump? Is it possible to cavitate the Onan pump like a air lock? Is there a filter I am missing? It seems like the gas stops at the carb? Do I need to prime the carb? I bypassed the pump power from the control board and it has plenty of pressure and flow when I pull the tube off of the carb inlet...
Is it possible that the starter fluid goes through the carb but the fuel is gummed...
Old 10-21-2021, 11:40 PM   #10

I started with a 5 gallon gas can because the people who had it previously cut the line a foot from the gen and I just figured Iíd leave it because Iím lazy and frugal and that way I donít have to pay attention the the pick up on the onboard fuel tank...
the critters point finally set in!!!!
It does seem to be intermittent and I do owe it to the mechanic gods to do the job correct, so tomorrow I am going to start by pulling and cleaning all electrical connections.
I admit a was intimidated by the brushes and whatever the things are that need to be shiny... that being said I also got the point about doing a full inspection and took your advice about YouTube and the cleaning of the shiny things looks to be simple so thatís on the list for tomorrow as well...
thanks again don, see you on the road soon!!! Iíll be the jerk who runs his generator all night just cause I can, bottle in hand!!! Cheers
Old 10-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #11

You can get this.. members here post.. they take to professional shops and pay$$$ and still can't get gen working..
You might have more than one problem.. but you have to eliminate each of them..
SO I start with the cheapest 1st..
Fuel line and fuel pump.. from there we clean carb and then circuit boards..
A voltage regulator could be your problem but they are 1 $$$ 2 hard to get at..
There is no pump in main tank for gen.. only chassis eng..
If gen supply line sucks in air the only place it has to go is in carb.. but yes.. the tiniest air leak causes pump to cavitation.. on mine.. I pulled fuel 1st to see if getting fuel.. and i got a steady stream.. but that was unrestricted flow.. so I skipped steps.. and did not follow members posts.. and well.. it took me 6 months for my thick headed brain to get at what they were posting about.. air in fuel line and bypassing main tank..
SO bypass main tank, and run your own pos to fp.. see if that does anything..
You don't have to take carb all the way apart to clean.. for 50% of time.. then even 90% of time.. just gently remove bowl while carb is mounted to gen.. I have gone in great detail in my other posts about how.. look in onan knock off carbs..
It takes about 10 to 30 mins to clean carb.. you must use carb cleaner... and most of time no disassembly.. use all safety precautions.. and after you get it running change out eng oil... and filter... even if you just did.. to much carb cleaner can thin oil and loosen trash in crankcase.. just my opinion.. be on safe side and have fresh oil and filter.. these babies are expensive...
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #12

I just re read your 1st post... did you replace your carb? If so.. what with? That would be entirely different story.. as always good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-23-2021, 11:23 PM   #13

I put the original carb back on the unit but was intimidated to clean it, after don helped me get the confidence I will clean it in the next few days as I have to work and find time on the side! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me!
I am in a 5 gallon can with a 5 ft hose directly to the new fuel pump...
Old 10-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #14

You tube.. KEVIN CAUDILL .. he has vid on how to clean cab.. it's great
Good luck and keep us posted

Tags
onan