Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Onan 7500 shutting down after 40 seconds

Posted this on Class A forum, so far over 30 views and no advice, so hoping maybe some suggestions on what things we should check for or do if post under technology. We are still pretty new to coach and really lost:

Our Onan 7500 diesel generator is shutting off about 40 seconds after starting, except in one scenario. The 40 seconds is almost like clockwork, there are no error codes on the gen. I’ve run as many tests as I can come up with. In all but one scenario the gen starts fine and easy, runs the 40 seconds and shuts off. I tested with the breaker on the gen on/off, the inverter on/off, different start switches tested ( from gen/driver panel/monitor panel).

The scenario that works is: the RV is fully powered by a shoreline feed (50 amp), the generator is started and run past the 40 seconds mark. At about 60 seconds the RV is fully powered by the gen (amp meter shows draw on gen monitor panel ) and the shoreline draw show 0 amps (display off shoreline surge protector) on both lines. I can then turn off the breaker for the shoreline feed and the gen keeps running, actually ran for about 30 minutes before I manually shut it off. I immediately started the gen again (no shore power) and it ran 40 and shut off.

I’m a bit stumped, but am assuming my ATS is failing, but don’t know how to test/prove that out. Don’t want to start swapping high dollar parts/labor without some high confidence that the ATS could be the problem.

We have a 2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness new to us as of 9/2013 . Other pertinent info:

Original 2000 inverter

Progressive HW50C Surge protector-Installed 10/17/13

ES50 transfer

Onan 837 hours when purchased coach,

serviced 11/22/13 @ 913 hours with oil change and 2 filters changed,

last run before now on 4/26/14 for approx 1 hour while boondocking with 2 a/c running and was vacuuming with electric vacuum cleaner when generator shut itself off, was leaving a race so did not have chance to investigate why then and t forgot to check it out (that getting old thing) till now and have run into above scenario

Currently has 929 hours on it.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Of course, this would happen when coach is pulled apart trying to switch over to residential refrigerator. When it rains, it pours. :(

Mike and Deb
Deb & Mike
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness-DP
2015 Jeep Wrangler
DMM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have deleted the other thread you began on this since our forum rules don't allow duplicate threads.

The only bit of advice I have is to check the fuel gauge. Most gennies can't draw fuel once the level is below 1/4 tank.

If you still don't get results in this forum, send me a PM and I'll move your thread to the Monaco forum.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #3

Mike, an exact model number and the error code it's stopping on is necessary to troubleshoot this any further. Are you familiar with how to retrieve the error codes? If not, when it shuts itself down the START/STOP switch blink. Push the STOP side of the switch 4x towards STOP and count the flashes on the switch. All Onan error codes will be two digit error codes; each digit will be separated by a pause. For example, a 32 error code will be BLINK BLINK BLINK -pause- BLINK BLINK. NOTE: There is no 33 code, so if you see 33 being reported you haven't put it into code retrieval mode properly. Try hitting STOP once more and see if it changes. Post your error code and Model #.

Currently, your problem(s) could be on either the 12v or 120v side of things - knowing the error code it's shutting down on will certainly lead us to finding it.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Mike, an exact model number and the error code it's stopping on is necessary to troubleshoot this any further. Are you familiar with how to retrieve the error codes? If not, when it shuts itself down the START/STOP switch blink. Push the STOP side of the switch 4x towards STOP and count the flashes on the switch. All Onan error codes will be two digit error codes; each digit will be separated by a pause. For example, a 32 error code will be BLINK BLINK BLINK -pause- BLINK BLINK. NOTE: There is no 33 code, so if you see 33 being reported you haven't put it into code retrieval mode properly. Try hitting STOP once more and see if it changes. Post your error code and Model #.

Currently, your problem(s) could be on either the 12v or 120v side of things - knowing the error code it's shutting down on will certainly lead us to finding it.
Thanks for code info. We thought it would blink automatically (yes, DEFINITELY still learning). Code is 36. Model is 7.5HDKAJ 11451M. Our gas tank is 3/4 full and RV is in our driveway and fairly level. Generator runs fine if plugged into shore power when start, if start off shore power, no load or load, shuts off after 40 seconds.
Thanks,
Old 05-28-2014, 04:50 AM   #5

Well, the 36 code is baffling in your scenario as it means that the generator itself detected no internal errors and has instead been shutdown due to some other means which is usually fuel related such as a dirty/clogged filter(s), air/leak in the fuel return line, fuel level in tank too low or even a failing fuel pump. It's obviously not a problem with any of the above as it will run ok when the shore power is disconnected.

Unfortunately these units are only able to show you 1 code at a time from the start/stop switch.... so if there were more than one code you would only be able to retrieve the last code that was set.

If I were at the unit this is how I would proceed:

(1) Unplug the shore power, shut the inverter off, generator also off.

(2) Do you have good access to the front of the generator? Notice at the corner of the genset where the 120VAC wiring runs into the unit there will be 1 or 2 small automotive type connectors that can be slipped apart. These are the harness(es) that run to any remote switches inside your unit and/or to any automatic generator start (AGS) system. We need to get any of these out of the picture while testing. To do so slide the locking tabs up and pull apart/disconnect the connectors from the coach to the generator right there. On the front of the genset, using the START/STOP button mounted on the unit itself, start the unit. Does it now run beyond a minute? Now reconnect the coach to shore, does is run beyond a minute?

Let me know...
Old 05-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I was having a similar problem last year. Come to fine out it was the coolant temp sensor.
Mine would shut down after 2 min thought because the sensor would not read an increase in coolant temp. It was an easy plug and play fix. If that ends up being your problem I would recommend changing the thermostat while you are in there.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:34 AM   #7

I think you missed the part that it runs fine when not plugged into shore power.. :-)
Old 05-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well, the 36 code is baffling in your scenario as it means that the generator itself detected no internal errors and has instead been shutdown due to some other means which is usually fuel related such as a dirty/clogged filter(s), air/leak in the fuel return line, fuel level in tank too low or even a failing fuel pump. It's obviously not a problem with any of the above as it will run ok when the shore power is disconnected.

Unfortunately these units are only able to show you 1 code at a time from the start/stop switch.... so if there were more than one code you would only be able to retrieve the last code that was set.

If I were at the unit this is how I would proceed:

(1) Unplug the shore power, shut the inverter off, generator also off.

(2) Do you have good access to the front of the generator? Notice at the corner of the genset where the 120VAC wiring runs into the unit there will be 1 or 2 small automotive type connectors that can be slipped apart. These are the harness(es) that run to any remote switches inside your unit and/or to any automatic generator start (AGS) system. We need to get any of these out of the picture while testing. To do so slide the locking tabs up and pull apart/disconnect the connectors from the coach to the generator right there. On the front of the genset, using the START/STOP button mounted on the unit itself, start the unit. Does it now run beyond a minute? Now reconnect the coach to shore, does is run beyond a minute?

Let me know...
Getting closer and i think you confirmed by suspicion, after unplugging the harness the generator runs fine, no shut-off. So sounds like we agree that the issue is not in the gen. Couple notes, i don't get home until usually about 7 pm, so late replies - but totally appreciate your advise. On the shore power, it is actually the opposite. if under shore power it runs fine, if shore power is 'off', then the generator shuts down after 40 seconds. also, if it helps - if i start with shore power on and the gen starts and runs, after about a minute the coach is powered by the gen (gen and shore amp meters confirm this), if i then shut off shore power the gen continues as normal. I do have an AGS system, i walked through the menu and all seems as it has been. i've been thinking it may the the ATS (Auto Transfer Switch) between the shore line and the gen, no idea how to test. After the ATS 'clicks', about 10 seconds later the gen stops running. ES50 is the ATS model. This along with that it run under shore power leads me to target the ATS. Thanks again for any advice.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #9

Ok.. good so far. There is nothing in the ATS that is going to shut the generator down (or start) based upon the presence or non-presence of shore power - only the AGS can do that. Keep in mind also, if it were in the ATS then it would continue shutting down as it has been; you've only disconnected the interior remote switches and the attached AGS system - all else is the same.. therefore Your problem lies in the AGS.

Which AGS brand/model do you have?
Old 05-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Ok.. good so far. There is nothing in the ATS that is going to shut the generator down (or start) based upon the presence or non-presence of shore power - only the AGS can do that. Keep in mind also, if it were in the ATS then it would continue shutting down as it has been; you've only disconnected the interior remote switches and the attached AGS system - all else is the same.. therefore Your problem lies in the AGS.

Which AGS brand/model do you have?
Thanks, and good because that puppy (ATS) seems expensive. The AGS has a label for "Trace" looks like mode RC7 GS. That make sense?
Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #11

Yea.. unfortunately that is a good model number.. ugh, these things are also no longer available. Here is a link to the users manual.. have a look thru and make sure all the genset auto functions are disabled. If it still continues to act up on you then you need to look at replacing this control unit. I am researching compatibility now...

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Dis...C7GSRevNew.pdf
Old 05-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #12

In the alternative, we could always disconnect the generator start function wiring from the RC7 GS. What year/brand/model coach do you have? I may be able to better direct you on which wires to temporarily remove so that you can re-connect your genset wiring harness to the remote switch(es) inside. This will allow confirmation of the AGS being bad within the RC7 control unit or not.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
In the alternative, we could always disconnect the generator start function wiring from the RC7 GS. What year/brand/model coach do you have? I may be able to better direct you on which wires to temporarily remove so that you can re-connect your genset wiring harness to the remote switch(es) inside. This will allow confirmation of the AGS being bad within the RC7 control unit or not.
Well 94-Newmar,
Not sure how to respond other than marking this up to new-b/user error. I've had the RC7 GS set to auto-mode since the first week we owned the coach, it's a 2003 Monaco Dynasty that we bought this past September. We have used the manual start switch from several locations several different times and no issues, so i don't know if something changed or it is just our behavior. The auto-mode is set to start the gen at 40% and stop at 90%. We've had it plugged into shore power for about 2 weeks while i'm swapping out my Norcold for a Residential (another long story) so batteries at 100%. Reading up on the RC7 GS again (i totally owe you for pointing me in the right direction), it says in the manual "When in auto mode the gen must be started from the RC7 GS or the inverter may shut they gen off". I love the word MAY here. so, with the auto off at 90%, i'm guessing we never manually started the gen when the batteries were over 90%. Bottom line is i think we can live with it like it is. if i set the AGS to manual, all is well. if in auto mode and i start the gen from the AGS, all is well. So, we just needed to understand the whats/hows and i don't think i would have gotten here without your help. We live near Atlanta GA and not yet retired so limited travel, but do plan on a trip to Wisconsin this September and then to Los Angles for a month after that. Hope to cross paths one day and return the favor. Thanks for the guidance, it was priceless!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:42 AM   #14

Great, glad you have it figured out! It still doesn't explain the 36 error code when it shuts down. It would be interesting to know how they have the AGS wired into the genset that would cause a 36 while stopping it. My assumption would be that it's wired directly to the remote switch circuit - in that case a simple call for STOP would do the same as if you hit stop from a remote switch somewhere, which should not cause a 36. :-)

Tags
onan