Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Onan 7500 Temp sensor

When the Temperature sensor fails, can it work intermittently? A month ago, while driving from WA to Tucson, our Alternator went out on our Cat C7 engine, so we fired up the generator. It ran for a few hours, then quit. It would start up again, but only run for about a minute - showing codes 1 and 33, for "overheating" which it probably wasn't. That evening, topped off generator coolant, and in the AM, 40 degrees outside, genny started right up, and quit after a minute with same codes. We had Alternator replaced in Fresno and continued to Tucson without using generator. Yesterday, I started up the generator to confirm it was going to need repair at a shop here in Tucson, and it ran just fine with full load for 30 minutes. There's no point bringing in to be fixed if they can't duplicate the problem. Once we get back to Washington in the spring, I can probably drop the generator and fix it myself, but I'm wondering if those sensors can sometimes work and sometimes not. Or it could be something else...
'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by corprimo View Post
When the Temperature sensor fails, can it work intermittently? A month ago, while driving from WA to Tucson, our Alternator went out on our Cat C7 engine, so we fired up the generator. It ran for a few hours, then quit. It would start up again, but only run for about a minute - showing codes 1 and 33, for "overheating" which it probably wasn't. That evening, topped off generator coolant, and in the AM, 40 degrees outside, genny started right up, and quit after a minute with same codes. We had Alternator replaced in Fresno and continued to Tucson without using generator. Yesterday, I started up the generator to confirm it was going to need repair at a shop here in Tucson, and it ran just fine with full load for 30 minutes. There's no point bringing in to be fixed if they can't duplicate the problem. Once we get back to Washington in the spring, I can probably drop the generator and fix it myself, but I'm wondering if those sensors can sometimes work and sometimes not. Or it could be something else...
Had similar issues with my 7500. Remove power from under the generator. Disconnect both positive and negative cables for 30 min. Wire brush terminal ends and mounting studs. Reconnect. Hold down start button for 60 seconds, then start generator. This fixed my temp sensor code.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #3

I had an issue with the QD8000 on my previous coach. Throwing various codes including temp. Had it into Cummins and they found nothing, but I continued to have intermittent problems. Finally, I found a ground stud down near the starter. It must have had 10 wires attached but the nut wasn't even finger tight. Tightened it up and had no further issues.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if your generator is over heating. Mine would run for 45 minutes under full load before throwing code 33 and shutting down. It was hard to believe it would take that long to over heat so I pulled the thermostat and checked it in hot water on the stove with a thermometer. The stat work properly and so did the temp sensor shutting down the unit. Flushing the block solved the problem.

You will need to start somewhere to find the problem. Verifing your not getting hot is a good place.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Yep. That’s exactly what ours did. We couldn’t get to our temperature sensor easy because we don’t have a slide out generator. So we hay wired a second sensor on the road hose and put a two way switch on it to cheat the original. It goes through a check at one minute and then again at 4 minutes. After that it doesn’t check that logic input. This happened 10 years ago. Since then we have a whack more hours on it. But we still have to chest it at start up.

If you have a pull out generator it’s easy to get to and change. Many people break the old one coming out though so be ready for some screwing around to get it to unscrew.

Cheers.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
When this started acting up a month ago we drove a hundred miles to our reserved campsite with no alternator and the generator only running for one minute at a time. When voltage got down to 12, I’d fire up generator for a minute of charge. Probably did that 30 times before we could plug in to shore power. In the morning, 40 degrees outside and it still quit after 1 minute. We drove 60 miles to FL in Fresno restarting generator a bunch more times. Got Alternator replaced there at $172 per hour. Generator only has 450 hours on it, but is 16 years old. We’ll be parked here in Tucson for 2 more months, so no hurry. I’ll try the wire disconnect/wire brushing. Thanks all!
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan