Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
KF5UMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 820
Onan 8000 just stopped

After running the Onan 8000 generator for about 24 hours it shut down. I looked at the remote display and it said something about 100 hour maintenance required. So I cleared the fault. A few days later I went to start it but first I primed it. It took several seconds before the fuel pump stopped running/priming. Then a lot of cranking- short bursts- the generator sputtered to life and ran fine with various loads. Prior to this the genset starts consistently in 13-15 seconds with start switch depressed all that time. I then shut it down waited a few minutes and the genset kick over instantly.

Here is my question- When the 100 hour message comes up and the genset is running, does this shut down the genset via the fuel pump? This is what I think happens.
Comments?
John
__________________
John & Debbie
2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
KF5UMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,099
Use the generator control panel to see if it threw a code when it shut down. Press the Stop side of the Start/Stop switch three times in five seconds. If the generator threw a code, the light on the switch will begin blinking. Look at your generator manual to figure out how to read the code.
__________________
Pete - Full Timing
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Det57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Media, Delaware County, Pa.
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
After running the Onan 8000 generator for about 24 hours it shut down. I looked at the remote display and it said something about 100 hour maintenance required. So I cleared the fault. A few days later I went to start it but first I primed it. It took several seconds before the fuel pump stopped running/priming. Then a lot of cranking- short bursts- the generator sputtered to life and ran fine with various loads. Prior to this the genset starts consistently in 13-15 seconds with start switch depressed all that time. I then shut it down waited a few minutes and the genset kick over instantly.

Here is my question- When the 100 hour message comes up and the genset is running, does this shut down the genset via the fuel pump? This is what I think happens.
Comments?
John
May not be relevant in your case but the generator runs off your main fuel tank....it is set up to NOT run once you reach a 1/4 tank of fuel....just in case you are close to that... Also, check oil in the gen. If its low it will shut down as well... Good luck
__________________
Glen and Nancy~ Media, Pa (Phila area)
2000 Fleetwood Discovery (G) / Cummins Diesel
'99 Jeep Wrangler
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
KF5UMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 820
Thanks for the comments. I would have thought any error code would be displayed on the remote panel just as the 100 hr maintenance message, but I will try your suggestion. Also the main tank was at 3/4 full so that was ok. Oil level was okay too. I have had the generator shut down before due to a very slight low oil level. I might contact Onan and ask them. If I get an answer I will update the group.

Thanks
John
__________________
John & Debbie
2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
KF5UMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:01 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
KF5UMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Det57 View Post
May not be relevant in your case but the generator runs off your main fuel tank....it is set up to NOT run once you reach a 1/4 tank of fuel....just in case you are close to that... Also, check oil in the gen. If its low it will shut down as well... Good luck

Problem solved! As it turns out the main fuel tank was below 1/4 of a tank of diesel!

Thanks
John
__________________
John & Debbie
2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
KF5UMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
RichKimball's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 964
"Also the main tank was at 3/4 full so that was ok"

__________________
2008 Fleetwood Diesel 38S, Flat tow-2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
Richard (KG5JAQ) & Margaret Kimball w/Shih-Tzu 'Charley'
RichKimball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Det57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Media, Delaware County, Pa.
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
Problem solved! As it turns out the main fuel tank was below 1/4 of a tank of diesel!

Thanks
John
HMMMMMMMM wish I had thought of that.....oh....wait......
__________________
Glen and Nancy~ Media, Pa (Phila area)
2000 Fleetwood Discovery (G) / Cummins Diesel
'99 Jeep Wrangler
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Fiesta48's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,707
I had a coolant leak on my 8000. And was 1pt low oil.
Exposed coolant line below with a semi loose clamp.
It sure rattled.
Checking levels more often now. You should too.
These can cause geeny to stop.
__________________
Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
onan



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Onan 8000 Diesel Error Code 46 HR-TX RV Systems & Appliances 7 04-06-2011 07:15 AM
Mystery start of Onan 8000 Diesel Gen pvm171 RV Systems & Appliances 5 01-23-2011 10:14 AM
Onan 8000 Fuel Usage akadeadeye RV Systems & Appliances 3 11-01-2010 06:50 AM
onan 8000 watt generator powerboatr MH-General Discussions & Problems 2 09-17-2010 02:29 PM
Onan 8000 and EC 30 tedward1555 MH-General Discussions & Problems 14 04-01-2010 11:36 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.