Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #15

American Coach Owners Club
Had a similar issue with My DKD, only the Alternator seemed to have a mind of it's own. It would Charge at 14.2 then up to 17 or 18 volts. I was out of town at the time and didn't have the time to diagnose it properly, so I disconnected the B+ from the Alternator and ran an 8 ga wire to B+ on the battery from B+ on the Alternator and the fluxuation in voltage issue ceased and it charged 14.2 since. I wonder if that self reseting breaker by the starter is the culpret. I'll have to check that when I get Her out of storage in Feb.
As far as the in line fuse- Mine doesn't have one- I know this because I had the genny out of the coach last June and looked at the entire harness while I was installing a new Kubota D 950 engine- but that's a whole other story.
Anyone know the purpose of that Breaker ?
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #16

NHRA225, I do not know the exact function of the breaker but after reading your post(and having nothing better to do,) I went out and bypassed the breaker. Started it up and everything seemed normal enough until I threw a meter on the battery and found it was not charging properly. It was actually steadily losing charge just holding the fuel solenoid.....or possibly some other noise going on in there. Upon reconnecting the breaker; everything shaped up and proper charging resumed. I'm stumped, too. What does an inline breaker have to do in this scenario? Makes no sense to me. Either the current is flowing to the battery or not and so long as the breaker is closed; it should have no effect beyond providing spike protection. What gives? Note: I am no expert...... not even close.

I also notice your sig line states 450HP C8.3. What system are you using to extract that much power? Mine is stock at 300HP as I assume yours was from the factory. Mind telling what you have done?

2004 Country Coach Magna Chalet/ Cat C15
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #17

Sam,
Thanks for the reply, I can't look at my Genny as it's on storage down in Charlotte NC until Feb. I suspect something in line on the DC side of the system past the inline breaker. My schematic shows a couple of relays in the control box.
On another note my Eagle came with the 300 hp 8.3 and it just wasn't enough power while towing my Race Trailer, I mean it was ok. I would climb Mt Eagle at 50 or so on the floor.
I researched and found a company called TST (TST Power Kit without Video).
These guy's are retired Cummins Engineers in Columbus Indiana.
I bought and installed the 150 HP kit and never looked back, What a difference- no turbo lag at all and I have plenty of power when and wherever I need it. Now I climb MT Eagle from the south side at 65 in the middle lane all 6 miles with the Race Trailer on the back.
I don't drive any differnt than when I did before which is +5 over the limit in most areas.
Installation was less than an hour. I have 4 very good friends with the same Coaches-92 and 93's and they all installed the same kit and love them.
We also removed our Mufflers and run straight pipes, that alone keeps the EGT's in line.
There are other mods that we did, but that's another story.
My Coach has 146,000 miles and I run about 20,000 miles a year.
Hope your enjoying yours.

Chuck
Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #18

As you know, there apparently were several variations of this generator which is why I started my questions the way I did. Even so, Sam discovered modifications not included in the Onan drawings. Onan only showed a breaker in the DC charging circuit (CB13) for a limited number of units.

Is it actually a circuit breaker? See if there is a voltage drop across the circuit breaker. A circuit breaker sould show less than a .5 volt drop across it.

The only reason for the large 30 amp fuse is for starter circuit protection. All other breakers I have seen in the drawings so far have only been 15 amps.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #19

Thanks Dave,
There were several versions of the DKD wiring according to Fleetwood. Mine was the 1st version installed in a Motorhome, earlier they were installed Sail Boats mostly. I find it to be extremely reliable and I run it for weeks at time in the summer. As I mentiond earlier I removed the entire Gen set to replace the D950 Kubota Engine last June and I didn't see any fuses in the harness.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #20

Just be sure and do yourself, or a tech a favor, and draw out the wiring digram for reference. May save yourself tons of problems.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #21

I have all of the DKD Manuals in PDF form including the wiring diagram.

Tags
onan