Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Onan constant code 44

Just will not run once you let go of the start button. Plenty fuel and fuel solenoid under carb works, voltage is good at start, reads 13.8. Oil level looks good. Can't get this thing to run, just constant over crank code. Maybe faulty oil pressure switch? Any one know these 4 k onan? Year 2012 and been exercised regularly, now all of a sudden just won't stay on.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 05:58 AM   #2

Just to clarify for others, there is no such code as 44 - 4 blinks is the 1st and only code, it's just repeating 4 pause 4.

Let's verify it's really a 4 error code. Push start and allow the unit start but continue holding down START for exactly 30 seconds then let off the button. When it shuts down, verify it's really a 4 error code.

Some things you can try.... with the front cover removed, notice the wiring harness that connects to the control board, bottom left side of access door; unplug the connector, check for any corrosion on the pins and re-seat the connection. Try again.

Completely disconnect the remote wiring harness; this is located where the 12v runs into the genset from your coach and is located just outside the housing/cover bottom left side. This simply runs to your hourmeter and any switches to stop/start the genset from inside the coach. With this harness removed start the unit from the start/stop switch mounted right to the genset. Try again.

If it still won't continue to run you'll probably need access to a break-out box for this Milasman. The break-out box connects to the main wiring harness in place of our control board and will all the unit to continue to run; it also has specific connectors to use a volt/ohm meter to check resistance between the windings (T1-T2-T3-T4) and the Quadrature (Q1 & Q2). Unlike the HG series generators, You cannot even access the field brushes in the end-bell of this model generator while installed in the coach.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:06 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I Googled your question, 94-Newmar is correct 33 and 44 are not fault codes. Here is a link to an Onan manual. Not sure if this is your genset but the fault codes should be the same.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0173.pdf
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Just will not run once you let go of the start button. Plenty fuel and fuel solenoid under carb works, voltage is good at start, reads 13.8. Oil level looks good. Can't get this thing to run, just constant over crank code. Maybe faulty oil pressure switch? Any one know these 4 k onan? Year 2012 and been exercised regularly, now all of a sudden just won't stay on.
dumb question but is your fuel tank full, theses will not run past 1/4 tank or less

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:30 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I got the whole 44 code or 4 code, blinks 4 times, seen the manual. I have disconnected the remote harness to take it out of the loop, same thing. 4 blinks, overcrank. As stated above, plenty fuel, pump works fine. Jumpered fuel cutoff solenoid, it works, still no start. Going to attack oil pressure part of equation today.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well, I officially don't get it. Yesterday, this temperamental thing would not run at all. I did suck about a cup of oil out as I thought maybe a little over filled, measured towards top of dip stick, but after, still no start. Today, I woke up and primed it for about 25 seconds and remote started it first try, of course that didn't work yesterday, but today first try and a start. Angers my soul because when I need it, pain to start, when I don't, starts pretty fast. Going to exercise her hard for at least two hours.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #7

It might very well be worth getting it to a tech who has a breakout box that can monitor voltages throughout the windings and quad while it's running. I use mine religiously on customer units - makes it very very easy to find the temperamental or odd random issues such as you're having.

There is/was a reason for setting the 4 error, and it certainly isn't oil pressure :-)
Old 05-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oil pressure signal was intermittent, wire hanging on by a thread, starts cold, but resistance climbed as it got hot and it wouldn't start. Looks like wire pinched on installation. Spliced in a new wire and it has been starting first time, hope that's it, we shall see.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #9

Ok good. Unfortunately these things can only show you the last code set with the blinking light. I'm sure it was probably setting an oil pressure code first then it was being written over by the 4 code since the wire was so loose and intermittent. Good find!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
So far so good, three starts on the first try each time.

Tags
onan