Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2021, 03:55 PM   #1

Onan diesel 8000 HDKAK Inverter dead

Seems like I'm in a bit of a pickle, and was hoping for advice or shared experiences.
When my coach was 3yrs old, the inverter in the Onan gen died and was replaced under warranty. Now, 3 years later, it shows a code 34 (inverter overtemp) and was diagnosed by my local RV dealer (whom I have confidence in) as needing a new inverter. The part in question retails for $2400, but, according to local Cummins/Onan shop, is labeled as "obsolete, do not use" with their research department not being able to come up with an alternative.

So what's going on? Is the inverter so unreliable that they have discontinued it? I could locate one online, but am loath to spend that kind of money for something that may not last too long. What do they put in the new gens of the same model? Is this a pervasive problem with this genset?
I do have an appointment with Cummins/Onan at the end of the month, at which time I will find out options offered by their service department.

Thanks, Dan
underdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just repaired mine which is a 7.5kw quit diesel. it also has an inverter and I removed mine and sent it to Flight systems in mechanicberg pa. they fix them for 900 bucks. They also will help you over the phone to troubleshot the problem first. It will cost about 65 buck to send UPS to them. They ship it back free. One of the major problems with these inverter style generator unit is the one the magnets fly off the rotor and two the circuit on the board use CMOS chips which have tunneling problems of the internal oxide gate and fail. New designs are much better but these older units still have these inherently obsolete circuits. My generator is working well at this time. I bench test the unit for over an hour before moving back into the MH.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:31 AM   #3

Thanks ladagogago, I will look at this option.
Are the inverters easy to remove? i.e. they come out the bottom of the genset while it is mounted in the RV slideout tray?
Dan
Old 09-14-2021, 04:58 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My generator is mounted in the rear and had to be totally removed from the MH. All the cover panels must be removed to access the wiring and screws which hold the unit in place. The left side is where the inverter rest and that must be carefully lifted out of place after all the interfacing connectors are removed. The main electric feed needs to be removed to. '

On mine the screws on the electrical feed block were rusted in place and I had to destroy it to separate the harness. Most all the screws are torx so be sure to get a kit containing these sizes. The inverter weighs about fourtyeight lbs and you will need a strong cardboard box to ship.

None of the work was hard but if you don't have the tools, and or equipment to remove the generator it could be difficult. Take pictures of everything before disassembly.

Inverter exposed after moving the left side control panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210711_141510.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	343013  
Old 09-14-2021, 08:11 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just come across this one'

https://www.colburnpower.com/cummins...-inverter.html

I have some manuals. If you need them I will try to post them here.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The PN in my manual is 300-6058-01 This one is an -02 so It may not work.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 09-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
oK I went up to link provided and they allow you to use their manuals for PN lookup. The PN manual has changed from my old manual so the inverter has an updated PN 300-6058-02 is correct. They also have inverter boards that are cheaper that replacing the whole thing.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 09-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A few month back I was checking with Cummins for a replacement inverter and they had on listed in buffalo ny for about the same price.. I opted to repair at flght systems for less the half the price.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:53 AM   #9

Thanks guys. I'm just back from travels. I may pull a few covers off the gen this week to see what all is involved in removing the inverter. (mines on a slide in the nose of the coach)
I have a service appointment at Cummins next week. I may try to get them to pull the part for me and send to Flight Systems for repair.
Dan
Old 09-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #10

9/23 update

In about 3 hrs I was able to get the inverter out! It's off to Flight Systems today.
If all goes well, ladobago, you have saved me $2400! Thanks so much for answering my post.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:24 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
glad I could help U, I had to do it all blind. There wasn't much info available. I was able to google all kinds of manuals and found Flight to be very good at what they do
Old 05-19-2022, 11:52 AM   #12

Mine is brand new and is out of spec after 10-15 minutes of use. Onan is stonewalling because they want all inverters for new production. Going to Cummins again today. The warranty, CONTRACT, says repair or replace and so far they won't do either. Parts might be available within 70 months I am told. They are still building and shipping new generators!
RonAz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, inverter, onan