Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Onan Drive Belt Replacement

Hi all,

Haven't been around here much. We spent 3 months in Maine on a piece of property we are developing for summer get away. Without Internet service by the way.

Anyway, halfway through our stay the generator quit. The engine will run if you hold the start button and quit when released. Diagnosing I checked all the usual culprits, low oil, low battery voltage, etc. I read that cleaning the slip rings may help so I proceeded to check that. I pulled the spark plug leads, took the brushes out and found that when I turned the motor over, the slip rings didn't turn! Uh oh, no AC output.

2 questions...

Think the drive belt is broken?
If so, I also think that I have to remove the generator to replace the belt?

06 Monaco LaPalma gasser.
Onan Marquis Gold 5500.

I see $$$ going out! Oh and by the way when we got home our AC unit in the S&B wasn't working and probably needs to be replaced! When it rains...

Thanks y'all
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 05:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
From what I found over at "smokstak.com" it is more than likely not the belt but the coupling. Here is a run down of the work involved with repairing.
Good luck.

Re: Onan 5500 marquis gold HGJAB - won't stay running
If he's got it out the hard part is done. Remove the two torx bolts holding the subbase on and remove the offending wires and hoses between the baseplate and sub base, Make note of the springs between so you can get them in their right place, there is a spring, buffer, washer etc on each corner, roll the generator over on it's top and pull the cooling cover off. Remove the coils, remove the bolt at the center of the flywheel. A few love taps at the center of the flywheel next to where the bolt was will break the tapered hold between the fly and crank. Release tensioner and pull the flywheel. Replace the rubber coupling between the flywheel and pulley, re string the belt, set the flywheel on and get the belt positioned correctly (that is the hard part, there isn't much room to work), tighten the flywheel center bolt, space the coils from the flywheel magnets with a business card, and now it's just reverse the procedure from here....
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"If he's got it out the hard part is done"

Thought that may be the case. Anyone ever design a rig to get that sucker out?
Old 10-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
"If he's got it out the hard part is done"

Thought that may be the case. Anyone ever design a rig to get that sucker out?
Still haven't gotten around to pulling the genset out. Still looking for suggestions on how to do it. I refuse to pay $$k to the dealer just because they have a forklift.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Thought about a transmission jack?

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Hi all,

Haven't been around here much. We spent 3 months in Maine on a piece of property we are developing for summer get away. Without Internet service by the way.

Anyway, halfway through our stay the generator quit. The engine will run if you hold the start button and quit when released. Diagnosing I checked all the usual culprits, low oil, low battery voltage, etc. I read that cleaning the slip rings may help so I proceeded to check that. I pulled the spark plug leads, took the brushes out and found that when I turned the motor over, the slip rings didn't turn! Uh oh, no AC output.

2 questions...

Think the drive belt is broken?
If so, I also think that I have to remove the generator to replace the belt?

06 Monaco LaPalma gasser.
Onan Marquis Gold 5500.

I see $$$ going out! Oh and by the way when we got home our AC unit in the S&B wasn't working and probably needs to be replaced! When it rains...

Thanks y'all
You have an electrical problem.. There is no drive belt. I suggest taking it to a Cummins Dealer for repair. These are not really a DYI item unless you know what your doing and (no offense) but I don't think you do. The old saying, Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later. Now is usually cheaper.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well folks, I finally tackled the job and replaced the broken BELT. I ended up jacking it up from underneath the bus and blocking it up with 2x6's. We had an old steamer trunk that was pretty sturdy and just the right height for me to slide it out on to. I was able to turn it on its side and remove the bottom pans, belt tensioner and pulleys. The belt is a four ridge design and from what I could see, it was never put on right in the first place. Both pulleys have grooves where the belt ridges ride and one groove on each pulley was rusted while the others were nice and shiny. There was also evidence of the belt rubbing up against the bottom engine/generator case. There was only about a foot of belt left with shreds of it all over the inside. I also replaced the tensioner pulley while I was in there. 10 man hours and $110 well spent!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	3833
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	109105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	3208
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	109106  

Old 10-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #8

NICE, It even tipped "cylinders up".
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Well folks, I finally tackled the job and replaced the broken BELT. I ended up jacking it up from underneath the bus and blocking it up with 2x6's. We had an old steamer trunk that was pretty sturdy and just the right height for me to slide it out on to. I was able to turn it on its side and remove the bottom pans, belt tensioner and pulleys. The belt is a four ridge design and from what I could see, it was never put on right in the first place. Both pulleys have grooves where the belt ridges ride and one groove on each pulley was rusted while the others were nice and shiny. There was also evidence of the belt rubbing up against the bottom engine/generator case. There was only about a foot of belt left with shreds of it all over the inside. I also replaced the tensioner pulley while I was in there. 10 man hours and $110 well spent!

My apologies, glad to hear you got it fixed.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #10

The gold is belt drive. The regular marquis is direct drive. Just FYI.

1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
blousteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #11

Good Job! Just for future reference a motorcycle jack works pretty good (at least it did on my 7.5QD) plus has the advantage that it can be rolled around. Of course this would only be important to anyone that didn't have a sturdy steamer trunk LOL. It's funny what we can come up with when we want to get something done.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #12

Had to remove our regular marquis to reseal the intake. We put down the jacks and slid it out onto a scaffold with the boards at the lowest setting. Then it was easy to roll around to work on.

1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
blousteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I love when we're able to fix stuff the old fashioned way. Great job brother.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was reluctant to do it because things could have gone very wrong doing it without help. It had to be done and I wasn't going to bring it to a dealer, so after giving it a good looking over, I decided on a plan of action. I knew I could handle the mechanical bit no problem, I was unsure of how to remove it from the compartment safely. It had to come up almost 2" then slide out. A little careful jacking and blocking and I was able to slide the 2x6's under so they rested on the undercarriage and the lip of the compartment. There was just enough room to wiggle it out between the side of the compartment and the fluid tank for the jacks. I was contemplating building a table to slide it out onto, but when I saw the trunk I knew it would work!

So glad it's done. As you can see in one of the pics, I awarded myself with a cold one for getting it out safely. There were a couple more after I got it back in and tested.

I did drain the oil before I started the removal and put in fresh oil and new filter once done.

Thanks y'all!

Tags
ace, onan, replace, replacement