Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #1

Onan EC-30 and lithium batteries

Hi, I have a class A with a Onan EC-30 generator control module. I changed my house batteries to use lithium batteries (Battleborn). All is good except the Auto-Gen-Start setup only allows 12.5 volts as the highest "Start-V" value. This is around 15% SOC on these batteries which is not what I want to use for auto start. Anybody encountered that problem ? I'm wondering if a simple voltage reducer circuit using resistors could be inserted on the voltage sense wire that goes to the EC-30.

It would essentially convert 13.1V to 12.5V to trick the EC-30...

Thanks
Daniel
ddesmeules is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2021, 05:05 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't see why that wouldn't work, but I wouldn't go off of voltage. Do you have a shunt measuring actual SoC with a relay on it you could use?

With that, you could use the relay alarm to trigger a programmable relay board (<$20 on Amazon). That relay board could handle the logic to start the generator when the alarm is present and stop when the alarm is not. That's effectively what we are using now (and we have an EC-30).

The hour counter, LEDs, start/stop functions of the EC-30 continue to work, but we no longer use its auto-start functionality.
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:31 PM   #3

I have a Victron BMV-712 and the cerbo-gx connected to it. How did you wire the relay ? I'm guessing Victron has a much nicer interface to control the generator than the EC-30.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesmeules View Post
I have a Victron BMV-712 and the cerbo-gx connected to it. How did you wire the relay ? I'm guessing Victron has a much nicer interface to control the generator than the EC-30.
Thanks
It has far better integration and granular control than EC-30.

Is it then okay to assume you have either a Multiplus or Quattro device?

On my Onan 2500 and 5500 units, the wiring is the same, but YMMV. I just spliced into the harness between the EC-30/ control switch and genset.

MP/Quattro Aux1+ to Venus/Cerbo relay1 NO
MP/Quattro Aux1- to Venus/Cerbo relay1 COM
MP/Quattro K1 NO Onan red
MP/Quattro K1 COM Onan brown
MP/Quattro K2 NO Onan green
MP/Quattro K2 COM Onan brown

Program K1/K2 assistants - I'd have to pull one of my programs for specifics, but you should be able to figure it out. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/a...start_and_stop
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0arp View Post
It has far better integration and granular control than EC-30.

Is it then okay to assume you have either a Multiplus or Quattro device?

On my Onan 2500 and 5500 units, the wiring is the same, but YMMV. I just spliced into the harness between the EC-30/ control switch and genset.

MP/Quattro Aux1+ to Venus/Cerbo relay1 NO
MP/Quattro Aux1- to Venus/Cerbo relay1 COM
MP/Quattro K1 NO Onan red
MP/Quattro K1 COM Onan brown
MP/Quattro K2 NO Onan green
MP/Quattro K2 COM Onan brown

Program K1/K2 assistants - I'd have to pull one of my programs for specifics, but you should be able to figure it out. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/a...start_and_stop

I have a Magnum 2812 that was already installed in the coach. I also have a multiplus 3000 that I had from a previous trailer that I was planning to install as a charger only but I plan to keep the magnum as it has two phases.
I will probably try to add two relays to the cerbo gx and find a good way to connect these to the generator.
Thanks.
Daniel
Old 01-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #6

I have the Cerbo GX. The Relay 1 has built-in logic configured to be able to use your desired battery SOC for starting and stopping the generator. There is a lower SOC you use to start the generator and a higher SOC used to stop the generator.

For example you could have your generator start when the battery SOC reaches 50% and have it stop when it reaches 90%. You also have the option in the Cerbo GX interface to manually start the generator and have it run until you manually stop it.

I don't often use a generator but I use Relay 1 to control a larger 120 volt 30 relay between my RV port plug and my Multiplus 3000VA inverter/charger transfer switch input.

Tags
batteries, lithium, onan